The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Mic and amp (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What do you guys use if anything.
I perform at a baseball stadium in the summer and it's loud as hell.

I think I know what I'm going to use but wanted other ideas and feedback.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hi, Frank!
I suggest checking out The Café's "FX" forum.
Cheers!
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Actually I specifically don't want feedback.
my current setup gives me too much of that already.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm confused now... Do you want feedback or don't you???
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I use a fender amp can and an audio technica mike. I hate them both. So much so that I don't bother bringing them, now I just yell myself hoarse.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Frank:

When you perform at the ballpark are you strolling or are you in one place?

Also, if you are in one place, do you have an electrical outlet near you?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

The first year I was strolling.
Last year I decided to pretend I was Gazzo.
This year I will once again perform as a street magician.
I'll be in one place.

I do not have an outlet. So I will need a battery-thingy.
BloodworthMagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of BloodworthMagic
We need a mic
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I use Crate amp type taxi
but for you the Crate amp type limo would be better

check this for some info:

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/CrateTX50DB.html
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Frank,

I was really impressed with the sound quality of this item sold by Bruce Kalver. I don't yet own one, but plan to.

Big Mouth Voice Enhancer

It would probably conflict with a pouch, but the clarity is remarkable. It's not designed to cover a large area, but should work in the environment described. These were originally designed for tour guides.

The nice thing is it will work for stationary or strolling work equally well.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I have had great luck with the minivox. small portable loud and has a built in battery charger.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some of these portables have no tone control, and that is a really bad situation. If you are stationary, see if you can find something that will allow you to use two speakers on stands, but will run from battery power.

It's a lot to carry, but you get good sound from them. You can also use a lead-acid or gel battery to drive an inverter. This is a gadget that gives you 110 vac from a battery.

Things like these belt pack amps are generally a poor substitute for a real amplifier. I hate to knock a product like this, but I have had too many friends who have spent a lot of money on junk.

OTOH, even a battery powered "pignose" amp is better than nothing at all. If you work behind your table most of the time, you can put the amp in front of the table, and wear a lav mic that is plugged directly into it. A headset mic will also work with one of these. But if you get in front of the amp, you will get feedback.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
I have heard that a Mipro amp is good but it has a different name in US..does fender make /sell it in their name
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
For small crowds, I like the Fender Passport 150. It's reasonably light, has plenty of inputs for other things as well.

I didn't have a chance to finish what I wanted to tell you about the Passport 150. I had to take a break to watch the rather amusing fictionalization about what happened in Houston when tropical storm Alison came through. Needless, to say, it was filmed in Vancouver for authenticity.

The Passport 150 is a nice, small amp. It has a pair of removable speakers. you can get a battery pack for it, if memory serves -- I don't have mine here, it's in my warehouse, so I can't check it right now. However, it will run off an inverter. These are not expensive, and if you use a couple of gel cells, you can get it to run for plenty of time.

The amp is actually powerful enough to use with the bigger Ramsa speakers that I actually prefer. I have run up to four speakers off this amp with no ill effects.

The other critical part of the equation is the mike. Get a good headset mike. A dual diversity or true diversity (different manufacturers use different terms) wireless mike will give you the best results. I like the ones from Audio-Teknika and Shure (their broadcast line, not the less expensive ones). You can never go wrong investing in really good microphones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Fender paspore 250
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The passport 250 weighs about twice as much as the 150, consumes more power, and costs about twice as much. For the kind of work Frank is doing, the 150 would be quite adequate.

I can vouch for its usefulness and its power. I have filled huge tents with it and large banquet rooms as well.

If I wanted to weigh him down with lots of equipment, I would have recommended my favorite system -- a QVC XM 1500 amp, with a Mackie 1604 mixer, a Sony Mini DV player, Virtual Soundman, the two Shure wireless mikes and the Ramsa speakers. But the difference in weight is approximately tenfold. And he would need a Rock 'n' Roller just to get all of it in place.

It would definitely sound better, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

I like the idea of the passport but I did not know that you could do the "battery thing".

I'm mostly worried about getting a good mic.
I had this discussion with Tim Ellis when he was in Calif. at the lecture up here in sac. Apparently, that is where you want to spend your bucks. He showed me what he was using but it was too expensive for my taste, even though the style was perfect.

I am pretty sure I just found a more than adequate alternative. more later.
as for amps, I'm all ears.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Be very careful with wireless products from Nady and/or Radio Shack. The Nady products are not very sturdy and have a tendency to break down under hard use. Radio Shack wireless mikes are generally on very few frequencies, and are therefore subject to picking up extraneous broadcasts. Fender makes a wireless unit for use with the Passport, but I haven't had a chance to examine it. Try to purchase a wireless unit that has a variaible frequency setup. Before I got mine, I had one that didn't. Sometimes I would be performing in, say, a hotel, and right in the middle of the act, the audience would hear, "LA CUCURACHA, LA CUCURACHA! LA NO PUEDE CAMINAR!" I worked a lot of Bar Mitzvahs.

One evening a friend of mine and I were working at the local JCC. He had a Radio Shack wireless. When he started his act, he did his first line, then we heard, "Bring the follow spot down. That's good, now bring the whites up." The light crew was using the same system!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have a pasport 150 that has the no feedback circutry, but I thought Frank wanted more power.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I've mentioned this before on other threads about the Mipro system. The MA-705 comes complete with a choice of two wireless mics, either handheld or headset with transmitters. For only about 100 bucks a great CD player can be installed. I recently bought three sets for different magicians. The rechargeable batteries will go for at least 6 hours. When you're out it's very very easy to set up and it's also completely wireless. One guy also got the extra cable that can connect to an MP3 player, so he does the music andtalks with his headset mic both controlled from his belt. They've recently built in a volume control and volume lock into the transmitter so you don't need to go back to the unit to adjust the mic volume. sIf one would use the adaptor for an MP3 player you end up with a spare mic as well. Best of all it only weighs 10kgs and can be mounted on a stand.

I also know the the Carvin Stagemate is a good and powerful system. Has four mic or CD or DVD player inputs and a very nice effects unit built in. It's 100 watts, and weighs 18kgs. The battery doesn't last too long (around 3 hours or so).

I recenlty saw the Fender passport systems here and noticed they are made in China now. Which for me is something to think about. China laborers are not renowned for their diligence or attention to details. Personally I don't buy anything made there, and believe me there is a ton of stuff here in Taiwan from China. Mipro used to make the Passport system here in their factory, but probably due to keeping costs down they're now made in China.

Sorry for the ramble.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Mic and amp (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL