The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Charlier cut (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
I am left handed yet I automatically learnt the Charlier cut with my right hand.
Does anyone else find this?
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
That's right. Smile

But yeah, I'm the same, I am a leftie and do Charlier best in my right hand. You know, you are called left handed after writing with your left hand, not for doing one handed cuts in your left hand, how many people can do that anyway? Smile

But yeah, you do it the right way, but its handy being able to do it in both hands to make some cut combos like Butterfly cut and others.

Have fun.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
jessicashurtz
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jessicashurtz
I am right handed, and I do one handed cuts like charliers and OHR much more adeptly with my left hand. so ya, like harwin, you've got it "correct"
-j
Signature
View Profile
New user
Austria->Vienna
45 Posts

Profile of Signature
Lern to do the charlier cut on both hands^^
it makes live a lot easyer when you move on to cuts such as the butterfly cut by paul harrys or the paul draylin(correct spelling?) cut

Greets sig

PS: I don't know if I am right handed or left handet^^
I can write the same way useing both hands and I have nearly the same skill on both hands(right -> better cuts, left->better fans)
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I to am right handed yet do the fancier one handed cuts in my left hand.
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
I think that how it usually is. I am like Jordini, right handed but do cuts best in my left hand. Most magicians I know are like this.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
Yeah when laymen want to learn some flourishes, and I teach them a charlier, they usually pick it up much easier with their left. I guess the left (for right-handers) is just more used to holding a deck.
Karen
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of flipped
I never realized I did all my charlier cuts with my left hand. It's a tad harder to on my right hand and I'm right handed.
Lots-O-Packets
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Lots-O-Packets
My OHR is easier in my left and I'm righthanded but charliers I'm good in both hands
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
I'm Right handed and I learn everything on my Right hand First, Charlier, thumb, OHR, etc.... Except for Daryl's Hot Shot, for some reason, it is sooo much easier in my left =
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I am right handed too. Consequently, it is very rare that I make any one-handed card moves except with my left hand. However, just the opposite is true of coin work. Odd isn't it?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I guess it all depends on which hand you decided to learn with first. The hand you decide to start with usually you become better with because you'll do more of it in that hand. I'm sure I've done way more charlier cuts with my left hand. Maybe if I increase the number for my right hand to more than my left I'll become better with my right hand.

Hiro
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
I don't think so... I used to start out teaching laymen charliers with their right hand (for right handers) when they wanted to be taught something. but invariably found their left hand to be easier to learn with.
Karen
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Quote:
On 2005-04-10 23:58, Bob Sanders wrote:
I am right handed too. Consequently, it is very rare that I make any one-handed card moves except with my left hand. However, just the opposite is true of coin work. Odd isn't it?

Bob
Magic By Sander

Hi Bob,
It's nice to see some of the Other Magicians Venture into our Little world every now and then. I spend too much time in this little box.
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Quote:
On 2005-04-10 23:58, Bob Sanders wrote:

Bob
Magic By Sander

I also do a lot of my coin work in my right hand, but do cuts in my left hand. Maybe there some scientist who can answer why.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
jessicashurtz
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jessicashurtz
Yea I just noticed this too. coin/poker chip tricks I have only bothered learning with my right. only a couple of those I decided to learn with left, but I'm not very good with those I've learned on the left.
-j
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
This is notoriously true. Card cuts and flourishes tend (for nearly everyone) to be easier when done with your less dominant hand while coin work tends to stick with the dominant.

For those of you that have read the novel "Magic" by William Goldman (and if you’re a magician and you haven't read it then you certainly should! Hell, it's nearly as good as William Lindsay Gresham's novel "Nightmare Alley”) you may recall that the main character even mentions to himself about just how funny this phenomenon seems to be.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
magicnewb
View Profile
New user
USA
77 Posts

Profile of magicnewb
Really? that's how it is for me. learning charlie and fans are so much easier with my dominant hand. is that wrong? lol, but when I thaught me friends charlier they did it with their dominant hand too...
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Ut-oh, we're gonna have a bunch of rebel card men on our hands. Unacceptable!

Haha- j/k Smile

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
yahu
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
116 Posts

Profile of yahu
Most of the books I have on magic, which date back to the 1920s, all teach the charlier cut in the left hand. That's why everybody does it with their left. Also, the starting position for the Charlier cut is very similar to natural dealing position. When dealing, right handed people tend to hold the deck in their left hand, and thus the hand is comfortable in the starting position for the Charlier cut.
I am away and will be so until late July. I will have a chance to read the forums, but I will be pressed for time, and unable to read every thread. If you feel a thread requires my attention, please PM me with a link. Thanks, and have a great summer. :
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Charlier cut (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL