The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Another point about ebay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I just bidded on Astrosphere on ebay. It was going for $10 and I know that retail it runs about $20-$30. I checked with google.

The auction just ended and someone paid $49 for it! So here's a tip. You might want to check the retail price of an effect before setting your maximum bid.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Yea, I have sold many things on ebay for way more then they cost. I sold a 16.00 item for 120.00 shipped about 3 weeks ago. I have also had to stop auctions because I listed 100.00 item and with about 30 seconds left it was still only at say 15.00 or something silly. Now ebay changed it. You cant stop and auction 12 hours before it ends. Sort of dumb. They did it because now if you don't want to sell your item you have a buddy bid it up so it doesn't go for cheap and now you have to pay the seller fees. Cheap !%#$^. Like they aren't making billions as it is. Now they have to screw you from stoping your own auction you Paid to sell in the first place.

I don't like a lot of ebays changes they have made in the last few years. Like how about there navigation and site map now, its sucks. You have to search for every little thing now.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2005-04-02 19:10, Chris Keppel wrote:
They did it because now if you don't want to sell your item you have a buddy bid it up so it doesn't go for cheap and now you have to pay the seller fees.

Chris, just curious if you know that this is illegal in some states.

If I don't want to sell an item "cheap" I list the minimum price that I'm willing to accept. Anything I get over that price is a bonus. Reserves serve the same purpose.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Sadly, that is how a lot of things sell on ebay, people get caught up in the thrill of the auction.

How do you think I ended up with this Dukes of Hazzard Lunchpail?
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I wasnt saying I do it.

I was saying that's why ebay changed it. Its call shill bidding. Its sort of like if you have a buddy bid up untill he wins, then you have him retract his bid. It doesn't take off every bid he done, just the last one which still jacks up the price and now the other person is still the high bidder. I hate to say it but I know it happens every day. I have most likely bought something that someone bid up for a friend. Who knows.

*** you ebay. hahahah
www.chriskeppel.com
daaaave
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of daaaave
I sold a 2nd hand MindBender DVD the other day for $51 on ebay! I got it for free as well! It even sells in magic shops here (Australia) for only $40.
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
I noticed that a lot of things I sell goes for as much as twice what I sell it for or even three times as much.I will agree it must be the excitement of out bidding someone.Well I guess I will stick to lower prices.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
I have gotten a pretty good assortment of bargains bidding on ebay. I will admit that I only close about 5% of the items I bid on. I often refer to myself as a bottom feeder--looking for the lowest price. Still, it is a lot of fun reading about many of the items up for sale at any time. Remember the number one rule of the marketplace: Caveat Emptor (let the buyer be ware) and you should have a good time browsing ebay.
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
I want to add to my last post. If you have been into magic for any length of time over a year, you have a pile of stuff that you never use. Put it up for auction and let someone else put it to work--or store it forever like you would have. lol.
I do seem to notice that prices you get are seasonal. Currently, the market seems to favor the seller. I do know that the variety of material is limited and that there is a great amount of good magic that seldom or never appears on ebay. Ciao!
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
Also watch out for the shipping schemes like a trick will start out 99 cents but shipping will be $6.99 and the trick sells for in a online shop with free shipping or the correct shipping price for $5.00 Just use caution.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I second that. I was shopping for a flask on eBay to do a particular Scott Alexander's effect. I saw one for .99 cents and was about to order when I noticed the p/h fee was $10.00/ So I ended up with another eBay seller that charged 4.99 for a beautiful flask with only 3.85 p/h. I don't know how they think that buyers are not going to figure this disceptive shipping and handling scheme out...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I've seen people selling poker sets listed at .99 cents starting price..with 75.00 shipping. Ebay has policies against this..Unreasonably high shipping fees. I suppose it's reasonable if you're overnighting it from the other side of the world...
The Presitidigitationist
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
I would stick to your online shop or brick and mortar shop.I sell some tricks on ebay that are used that I have demonstrated in the shop or extra but that's it.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I look at it this way. If I am bidding on a item that is 50.00 in stores

The one guy has it for buy it now 30.00 with 10.00 shipping, then I still am saving 10.00 from the store.

Now if the other guy is buy it now 1.00 and wants 39.00 shipping then I am still saving 10.00 from the store.

Either way I am getting the item for the same price.....40.00

When I see this stuff I normally go with the guy with better feedback. I do try to stay away from guys that have like 200 things listed at once as well. More items means more of a chance of getting the wrong item.

If some guy is selling 3 things then its more likely that you will recieve the item you wanted.

For exp. I was looking for a flip out dvd lcd tv for my car. The guy I was going to buy from had almost 10,000 feedbacks, yes you read that right.

He had like 12 pages of stuff listed, almost like 400 items at once. Just a crazy amount. The reason I didn't buy from him was because he had like 200 neg, which is not that bad considering he had so many good feedbacks and the amount he had, but the problem was like 80 of those neg was people saying they got the wrong item. Thus I didn't order.

Just pay attention to everything before you place your bid.
www.chriskeppel.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I won a copy of Totally out of control for 71.00... 3 months later Mr. Kaufman decides to reprint the book after 12 years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Another point about ebay (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL