The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Nothing but Finger tricks landed me two year gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
About a year and a half ago I went to a local minor league baseball game to see my niece sing the national anthem before the game. While I was there someone recognized me in the stands and asked if I could show there friends a couple of tricks. I had absolutely no props on me except a few coins in my pocket and a thumb tip.

So I did a few finger tricks such as taking my fingers off. I'm sure many of you know these tricks from Meir Yedid. I also did his trick where you turn your arm. Then I did a trick of mine that was published in linking ring magazine a few years ago in which I cause my thumb to pop off (Thumb tip). This gets a better reaction then you might think by the way. I also performed the puzzle that you might have seen David Copperfield do not long ago with my arms. You know, the one where the audience has to try and do what you do but they can't?

Anyway, This is all I did and by the time I was done a crowd had gathered around. Little did I now that one of the people who watched was the person in charge of booking entertainment there. They approached me and I gave them my card. They contacted me a few days later and hired me to perform at one of there functions. Since that time I've performed for them 12 times and they've already contacted me to perform more this season.

I wanted to share this story because I think these simple finger tricks are over looked by many magicians. They think of them as cute bits but rarely do them as real entertainment. Another advantage is that you don't need anything to do them. When someone comes up and asked if you'll show them some magic the first thing most of us do is search our pockets as we think of what we should do for them. When we finally decide what to do we stop stalling and pull out what we need to do it.

These finger tricks are great to do right away. For example if they ask me to do a trick I'd hold my hand out with my ring finger missing (Yedid) and say something like, "I would but I lost a finger. If you happen to see it laying around please bring it to me.... Oh, here it is." Then I'd pretend to put my finger on. To a non-magicians this is pretty strong magic and they usually react pretty strongly. So they've now seen a little magic and it really was done spontaneously. Now it's a better time to pull out the props to do something a little more involved. I just think this is a much better way to start out an impromptu performance.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Sensational! Thanks for the encouragement. Usually we consider this elementary stuff, but every little bit helps.

CSR
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
fr3ky magick
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, ENGLAND
55 Posts

Profile of fr3ky magick
WOW, great stuff mate, well done, always good to know that if you don't have any tricks on you, USE YOUR LIMBS!!, also if you can do coin magic that require no set up, then perhaps you could borrow them off someone. If your that desperate for money, that may require a set-up ,BEG!, although it's illegal erm, ok..moving swiflty onwards.
It is always a good idea to learn tircks with differnet bits and bobs, like penicl through napkin etc, as for then if you have no tricks with you, you could at least find some for inspiration or remember what you have learned.
At a workshop there was a load of props on a table e.g polistyrane cups,pencil,paper etc. in teams we went off and did tricks with what we had, off the top off our heads, it was great and was hilarious ot watch other acts perform too.
Also we performed a water trick that was on Monkey Magic, where you are in a line, and one drinks water and passes it along the line into their neighbour's ear then the last person spits out the water!, was effective and funny, had to try not to laugh!
I've just remembered that would of bene so nice to have told Pete McCohan aka PAPA, my mate! REST IN PEACE MY MAGIC BUDDY!
Always look on the bright side of life, Set goals and acheive them, never let anyone put you down you are unique in your own way.
Peace to the world.May MAGIC never die.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Yes. its very surprizing how many people will actually run into the streets freaking out because of the twistingarm illusion. once the person reacted so much that I thought he was reacting to something else. I should have had my camera with me xD
fr3ky magick
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, ENGLAND
55 Posts

Profile of fr3ky magick
LOL cool, maybe shou,d have your camera on you at all times then when go out perform magic or just the twisting arm illusion.If you knew who the people are you could ask for a re-play.
Always look on the bright side of life, Set goals and acheive them, never let anyone put you down you are unique in your own way.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Ey, that's not a bad idea.
thanks.
fr3ky magick
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, ENGLAND
55 Posts

Profile of fr3ky magick
If you didn't want to carry round an expensive camera, maybe take a camera phone if you have one?Then you could send the clip to the computer and have it there, and also you could post it on here!!
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Now that's a story! Smile
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
That's a great story!!! Who said magic had to be expensive? I think some of the best "stuff" is done completely impromptu, with what is available, and this is a perfect example. Reminds me...I need to learn some more of these type effects myself! Mark.
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
Ron
Do you recommend the Meir Yedid DVD on finger magic? I was interested but comments from others seemed to imply that it was so dependent on angles that it was of dubious value for real close up/impromptu.
fr3ky magick
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, ENGLAND
55 Posts

Profile of fr3ky magick
Plus to top it off if you film your trick you can put it on MVD and posti t on here! We will all love to see it..
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Finger vanishing. except the middle one.
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=2895
Ring finger vanish
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=2878

those were both filmed long time ago. ive since figured out a way to get away with opening the remaining fingers wide so you can see between the fingers. and also figured out a way to vanish both pinkie and ring finger , and then spread open the top two fingers. those two videos will be up as soon as I film them

To BobGreaves
meir yedid's finger fantasie? id say its worth it. its not too angle dependent, as longas you are devious about it. think about it on the same level as tenkai. the angle is about the same. but as long as you are aware of where the audience's eyes are going you shoudl be fine. ive personally performed it in close up situation in front of upto 5 people. and meir yedid has done I think roomful of people or studio audience.

I don't know if its worth the price though. 20 bucks?... hmm..
fr3ky magick
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, ENGLAND
55 Posts

Profile of fr3ky magick
WOW cool thanks, will check it out later, I need to register in order ot download it! I am going out in a bit so will view your 2 clips later.
Kind Regards,
Belinda
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
In my new PDF download called BAR T.A.B. (Tricks And Bits) I go over some presentation for some of Meir Yedid's finger tricks. I don't teach his finger tricks because they aren't mine to give. I do link to his DVD's and share some fun ways to present them. I basically go over the tricks I did that got me the job at the ball park in my original post here.

I also teach a few other tricks and bits using your body such as the arm puzzle and sitting on an invisible chair. All of which is done with absolutely nothing but your body.

The E-book also has other tricks such as card in bottle, color changing napkin rose, some tricks with cigarette lighters and other objects commonly found in bars, restaurants and at party's. I just thought I'd let you know for those who are interested in these kinds of things.

Here's one thing from the E-book that works well with modern gossip. It's a presentation for one of Meir Yedid's finger tricks.

You say to your spectators, "I was eating a bowl of Chili at Wendy's for lunch this afternoon and look what happened."

That joke makes note of the news article about a woman claiming to find a finger in her bowl of chili. The joke will work until people forget about it.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 19:30, Jaxon wrote:
About a year and a half ago I went to a local minor league baseball game to see my niece sing the national anthem before the game. While I was there someone recognized me in the stands and asked if I could show there friends a couple of tricks. I had absolutely no props on me except a few coins in my pocket and a thumb tip.

So I did a few finger tricks such as taking my fingers off. I'm sure many of you know these tricks from Meir Yedid. I also did his trick where you turn your arm. Then I did a trick of mine that was published in linking ring magazine a few years ago in which I cause my thumb to pop off (Thumb tip). This gets a better reaction then you might think by the way. I also performed the puzzle that you might have seen David Copperfield do not long ago with my arms. You know, the one where the audience has to try and do what you do but they can't?

Anyway, This is all I did and by the time I was done a crowd had gathered around. Little did I now that one of the people who watched was the person in charge of booking entertainment there. They approached me and I gave them my card. They contacted me a few days later and hired me to perform at one of there functions. Since that time I've performed for them 12 times and they've already contacted me to perform more this season.

I wanted to share this story because I think these simple finger tricks are over looked by many magicians. They think of them as cute bits but rarely do them as real entertainment. Another advantage is that you don't need anything to do them. When someone comes up and asked if you'll show them some magic the first thing most of us do is search our pockets as we think of what we should do for them. When we finally decide what to do we stop stalling and pull out what we need to do it.

These finger tricks are great to do right away. For example if they ask me to do a trick I'd hold my hand out with my ring finger missing (Yedid) and say something like, "I would but I lost a finger. If you happen to see it laying around please bring it to me.... Oh, here it is." Then I'd pretend to put my finger on. To a non-magicians this is pretty strong magic and they usually react pretty strongly. So they've now seen a little magic and it really was done spontaneously. Now it's a better time to pull out the props to do something a little more involved. I just think this is a much better way to start out an impromptu performance.

Ron Jaxon

Just got his DVD an started practiceing. But I have a hardtime practice so I can do it really everywhere Smile Do you use any kind of lotion or so ? to get your hands not to dry ?
Really love the effect
Thanks Smile
magicmode
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of magicmode
Quote:
Here's one thing from the E-book that works well with modern gossip. It's a presentation for one of Meir Yedid's finger tricks.

You say to your spectators, "I was eating a bowl of Chili at Wendy's for lunch this afternoon and look what happened."

Ron Jaxon

Ron,

It's funny you mention the Wendy's joke. I recently added a similar gag to a routine that I perform from time to time. It's a mentalism type effect where I predict how many fingers two people in the crowd will hold up. When the prediction box is opened I have the correct amount of fake fingers inside.
I then take the fake fingers and, while putting them away, I put them in a Wendy's Chili container saying, "Gotta get ready for my next gig!" It gets a good laugh.

I guess great minds think alike Smile

Michael Mode
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
I have the problem with finger fantasies where half the people I show will worship me as a god and the other half will just shrug. It makes me kind of reluctant to use it in my act.
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
Inspiring as always, Jaxon. Though I am not familiar with Yedid's finger trick, it definatly makes me think that I ought to look into it. I just learned the Twisting Arm illusion not too long ago and the only ones I have shown it to are my 5 and 6 year old. Now they think I'm some type of mutant, lol. But that is exactly the reason that I learned it, not to make my kids think I was a mutant, but because sometimes I'm out and have absolutly nothing on me. My friends are always busting on me to do something, but the last thing they want to see is another card trick, so.......

Again, thanks for the inspiration

Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
When doing the twisting arm I usually fallow it by saying something like, "If you liked that one then check this out." Then I act very dramatic as I place my hands on the sides of my head and start to turn it. They think I'm going to turn my head all the way around but the moment I can't turn my head any further I stop and just say, "I'm just kidding."

When I do this people start to freak out. Some of them even cover their face because the thought of seeing someone turn their head all the way around is just to much for them. It gets a good laugh when I reveal that I'm just joking around.

Another things with Yedid's finger tricks is when you vanish your ring finger. I start by doing it with the back of my hand toward the spectators then pretend to pull the finger off. They obviously know I just bent the finger in toward my palm so they don't react to much to this. I act like I'm surprised that they aren't amazed. Then I turn my hand palm out with the finger missing (Yedid method) and say, "How does it look from here?". This is when they react.

Those tricks can be really strong effects when presented right.

Ron Jaxon

fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
567 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Great post! I love finger magic and have always gotten good reactions from it (but no two year gig). However, I think Yedid's "fingerings" are great but some hands will have trouble doing them. I can do my fourth and third fingers, but despite years of practice and stretching, my other fingers simply won't go where I want them to unless I break 'em.

But all the 'ol finger tricks (mostly found in Gartner's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF IMPROMPTU MAGIC) are timeless and still great fun for kids and adults of all types. They are underestimated by magicians. I remember seeing Topaz do a finger routine on stage in Germany and that went over very well and Greg Irwin ( http://www.handhealth.com/ ) has some great ideas and products for your hand. Jax, would be interested in your PDF download where you talk more about Meir's FF routine. I looked but didn't see it. Nice site by the way.

With all that great stuff, I don't know why I am driven to collect and record every conceivable way to humorously flip someone the bird (the good ol middle finger that is). There are some great ones out there. Is there a demand for such knowledge? Darn, didn't think so.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Nothing but Finger tricks landed me two year gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL