The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » quick draw mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
Ok, I've done a few tricks at work, center tear with an ash rub on the arm as revelation, 5 card force (ala Hugard), a bit of cold reading... now people walk by my cube and ask for a trick but I dont have time to go into a routine due to the environment. I could just brush them off with a "catch me later" but I would love to know if there are some tricks (or even statistics) people have found that would allow for a quickfire mental feat. Anyone have a direction they could point me in?
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4550 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties" has got some nice little ideas that you can use.

They're not 100% reliable, but they work enough times to generate a reputation.

Besides, if you miss, you can just laugh it off as "the environment not being the most conducive."

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
great, I will look into them... part of the reason I want to try this is that if I do botch it then the out is obvious and easy but the success from a trick like this in a fast paced environment would be very stunning. thanks for the suggestion I will look into them, Ive been thinking about it anyway, this is a good excuse.
you must have read my mind Smile
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Magicians worry about outs and being 100% correct when they perform mental magic. Mentalists and psychic entertainers don't sweat it, they don't worry about it and they go with the flow. The audience is forgiving when that happens too.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
I like Derren Brown's theory of making a bold prediction, usually an educated guess. If it turns out to be correct, you have a killer, if not, it is laughed off as a joke.

It reads badly here (probably due to my description!), but is quite feasible to use regularly. It's all outlined in Pure Effect.

Tim
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I'll second Tim's recommendation!
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi,

As said earlier by Philemon, PS is full of ideas for quick effects.

An alternative could be a variation of Mark Strivings "50/50/50% chance", as seen on his Walk-Around Mentalism tape (available from flora.com). With a minimal amount of sleight-of-hand, this effect can be performed without th gimmick explained in the tape. You just use 2 identical coins, one of which being unsuspected by the audience. In such a presentation, you would demonstrate your participant's powers rather than your own, though...

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Eric. Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
The use of any of the "writers" especially, "PW," can produce a "quickie." Unfortunately, it will also have them lining up at your door. Smile
Also, check out the "Impromptu Mentalism" thread which is active at the moment.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Why not be bold with Tim's suggestion, and hurl a headline or two, like David Hoy?

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
I don't think that it’s always a great idea to just laugh off misses. I have great fun making bold statements and when they go wrong testing my acting skills, using implication and suggestion to convince them (gradually) that I usually get it right.

The reason for making the prediction so BOLD is to suggest complete confidence and competence on the performers part. The audience feel this "self-assuredness" and go with it. They believe that you can do what you claim (even though in this case it just happened to go a little astray).

Complete unwavering self-belief is one of the strongest suggestions we can give.

Trivialising the “attempt” afterwards may be an easy out but I think that in some cases can damage the overall impression they have of you.

Anyway, just a thought

Stephen Thompson
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3005 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I don't use the "bold" approach. Precognition, telepahty, clairvoyance ... these are not tangible things I can come off as being certain of. I approach it as "trying", "let's see if this works", "a test I've been working on". My attitude is not one of certainty when I deliver an answer. I don't come off weak either, I don't act like I'm "lucky". I know what I'm doing, but It's always an experiment, I need the audience to work with me, stuff like that. When I miss for whatever reason, I don't laugh it off, but "hey it didn't work out this time maybe because of this or that, let's try this now" or I go right into another story. I am always forgiven by the audience, in fact most don't remember any misses at all. I want them to "like" me. I think that's key.

Smile
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
Quote:
On 2002-12-18 11:25, ALEXANDRE wrote:

I approach it as "trying", "let's see if this works", "a test I've been working on". My attitude is not one of certainty when I deliver an answer. I don't come off weak either, I don't act like I'm "lucky". I know what I'm doing, but It's always an experiment, I need the audience to work with me, stuff like that. When I miss for whatever reason, I don't laugh it off, but "hey it didn't work out this time maybe because of this or that, let's try this now" or I go right into another story. I am always forgiven by the audience, in fact most don't remember any misses at all. I want them to "like" me. I think that's key.

Alexandre, I like your approach. It seems to me that you frame things as Uri Geller always does (or did in the past!)

Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » quick draw mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL