The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Need advice on these table hopping sets, please take a look. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
Hey guys,

I am returing to a restaurant for the second time, and am really getting into restaurant work, sending out letters to res./calling them, and this time, I want to have some sets of tricks ( I want three in each and three sets), instead of throwing three together before I got to the restaurant, and I did those three at like every table, which worked decent, but I should/want some sets. Here are soem of my ideas, I could really use some help/advice on these, and also, if you have any sets that have worked well for you and would like to share them please do, so here we go:

1)I have an all card set, which I was helped with by a member of the Café here, which consists of a red hot mama type of effect,then that's it, then top change, have card rise to top, and then go into an ace routine.

2) Open with a sponge ball routine, then some tt stuff, and then go into professors nightmare, and on this one, wanted to know if you thought those would work well together, and also, maybe some ways to tie them together.

3) Not so sure on this one, wanted to maybe do trick question, questinoable trick by gregory wilson, maybe dr. daley's last trick, and a levitation effect, floation dollar bill or something. looking for help on this one to.

So those are my three sets so far, if you think of those lised in the sets would work better with tricks from other sets, please let me know, and let me know what you think about those, and maybe some reccomendations, thanks so much, I reallly need some help, and appreicate all you guys/girls here on the Café for all your help.

Matt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
1) Finish with the strongest card trick. A nice blend would be to end a card trick with a Picking Off the Pips effect and produce a Sponge, etc, etc.

2) I'm not seeing a way to tie sponges in here. Rings and Rope seem better together. If the TT involves silks there are tricks with silks and rope.

3) Cards any trick. Bill and cards Greenwarp, then float the bill is you want to.

Elastic bands and Bills make a nice combo. CMH, Traveling Cash, Ghost Bills, $100 Bill Switch.

Think of tricks that use more than one item.
Ask yourself what you can do with the item individually.

Sankey's "Stirring Silver" uses a finger ring and spoon. How many effect can you do with these two objects?

Color Changing Knives and a Cut Cord or Rope trick would work well together.

Hopefully these suggestion help.
mysticuk
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of mysticuk
I prefer visual trick/s at least to begin with. For instance Professor Nightmare and such like. It does not disturb them and who ever want to look looks.
After I have made this brief contact usually they call me back to their table.
When this happens you can get more personal and your tricks more One on One.
Cheers
Roni
Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, but keep it coming. Jazz, was wondering where I could find wiping off a pip, crzay man's handcuffs (which I can't seem to find), greenwarp, traveling cash, and also a goood ring and rope rouinte. thanks jazz, I really appreicate all the great advice you give, and regarding mysticuk, I will try to get visual stuff. thanks again, keep the advice coming.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
*Removing pip effects - Carney's "Carneycopia" and Vernon's"Inner Card Trilogy".
* CMH & Traveling Cash - Dan Harlan tapes.
* "Greenwarp" by Bob McAllister in Kaufmann's "Collected Almanac". There another nice bill and card effect here "Paul's Bill Comes Due", I think that's the name.
* Not sure about ring and rope. Sorry.
Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
Hey guys,

Thought up another two sets I think, or begginings of one. I thought about starting off producing a silk, vanishing, etc... then transforming the red silk into a red sponge ball, and then going into my sponge ball routine. Then maybe stealing the TT back out, and ending wiht another effect, which I don't know what I could do. Also, I was thinking about maybe putting a torn/restored sugar packet,cut and restored rope, and then maybe professors nightmare. Thirdly, what do you think about doing las vegas leaper, (some sort of trick where it appears the card fly through midair), and maybe ending with levitation their dollar bill? what do you think? I want to get a set with levitation in their, and I don't have any of the products you mentioned jazz, and don't have time to get them before I go next time. So soem advice on those, and maybe some reccomendations of tricks to fit with the routines, and also advice on what I have listed. Thanks so much, really need the help.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
You're going to end up working longer at some tables than others. I'm not a fan of completely having "set" sets. I use one of two openers to feel out the crowd then go into what I feel will be best for them, what they will enjoy the most. Make sure the routines you're doing are very strong and commercial...you know the kind that people want to see over and over: chop cup, sponge bunnies as examples. I tend to stay away from entire card sets. Each table will get maybe one card trick and a lot of tables don't get any at all. I know like umpteen billion card tricks but only do about 3-4 while working and one is a gimmicked deck (cardtoon) and the other is a gimmick as well (anniversary waltz). I do that because it gets the best reactions.

Find some more commercial magic, have enteraining patter that you can play off of. By saying that I mean, don't be too stuck in your story that you can't make jokes and have audience by-play. Some guys do that and they come off too rigid.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I do something a lot like this....I have 4 sets, each with a theme, though bear in mind, all can change depending on arising circumstances. I've recently made a number of changes (all of which seem to be working) and I'm awaiting delivery on a 'pearl-poodle' to make further 'upgrades'.

1) Cards...approach doing the electric deck, then freeze it mid-fall & some humerous patter. Invisible-deck, a prediction using the long-card (again just for cheap laughs), then NFW....ka-POW!

2) Money...ask for the loan of a $1, say I'm going to double it, then vanish it ala the TT, then recover it from within a rolled borrowed $20. Then I 'add' the $20 to a stack of 'three' other $20's of my own, do the slo-burn, and return the original borrowed $20. Finally I do the pen-thru, preferably with some borrowed foreign currency. (Lots of international tourists in a Disney restaraunt)

3) Cutesy...Start with the mini chop cup, the final load is a sponge ball, which I then appear to mold into the shape of a bunny. Sponge-bunnies. Pearl-poodle (planned), then appear a napkin & make a napkin rose (the green & red kind from Hank Lee) complete with scent. Each trick (except the mini-chop) has a giveaway (one baby bunny, the poodle, and the rose) I try to do this set for a table with 3 ladies.

4) Heavy-hitters...3-card monte, followed by fineprint prediction. (simple yes, but these KILL if done right!) Then Cody Fisher's ICTAW...bammo!! Finally the anywhere bill recovered from inside one of the sugar packets in the sugar bowl. ...Oh YEAH!!

I used to have a coin routine as well, but this got just a bit too noisy to have on-the-ready. I've also phased out the 'inaflash' and blizzard effects for space reasons. Some back-up tricks I keep on me are the hotrod, bigger-finish, Quadriflex, color-brass-deception, and at least 1 or 2 coin effects.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the advice so far, just need to ask for one more thing, I need to get a levitation set togeter, or a set in which I can end with levitating a dollar biil, any ideas? after reading through all of the other posts, I beleve I have two other sets. Thanks so much.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Nothing wrong in particular with the tricks you propose, especially if they fit your personal style. But doing an all card set, etc. doesn't sound so good, I'd consider varying your tricks, maybe one out of each group you proposed above being put into sets that way. Gives more variety and wider appeal to each set.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
All of my restaurant is very flowing and nothing happens out of sink. An idea that you should try to put set around is perform a trick that involves cards that you will learn latter, for instance, you could start with a ace location (bill Malone has a very good one I think from a spectator shuffled deck of cards), the from there a simple ace transposition or weighted aces (found on double take from gregory wilson). I believe that there has to be a reason for everything in a magic routine, it makes everything smother.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Profile of Futureal
It's not what you do but how you do it.

Honestly, don't stress so much about what tricks you're doing.
Jim Mullen 2
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen 2
I think the idea of having tricks in sets of three is a good one. In his excellent book, Classic Sampler, Mike Skinner gives this same advice and mentions that the idea came to him via Charlie Miller. Mike points to several advantages of learning tricks in sets of two or three:

First, you can smooth out the transition between effects.

Secone, you can be sure that one trick does not interfere with another trick of a set. For example, by practicing in sets of threes, you can avoid letting one trick fill up a pocket that you need for another trick.

Third, you can keep more tricks in an active repertoire because you essentially are learning fewer “mini routines.” Incidentally, I note that Mike had one of the largest repertoires of any working magician, and once worked nearly a week in the Magic Castle without repeating an effect.

Obviously there are some routines, such as Ambitious Card, Linking Rings and others that pretty much are stand-alone routines that one would not try to cram into a set of three. One reason is that these tricks already involve multiple effects built into routines. Nevertheless, I think the advice from Mike Skinner and Charlie Miller is valuable and works well for the strolling performer who often needs new sets for new tables and who always needs smooth routines in which one trick does not detract from the others of its set but rather enhances the others.

Jim
Jim Mullen

Los Gatos, California
Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
Hey guys,

Sorry for keeping this thing going, just thought of another set and wanted to see what you guys thought of it. It woudl be a three trick set with the whole theme being that either all objects or light weight objects can travel through space, acroos midair... etc.. and do sponge balls,las vegas leaper, and levitate a dollar bill? what do you guys think? thanks so much.
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
I think your idea sounds very powerful. Your patter could thread these together nicely. You don't necessarily have to segue from one effect to another with props; you can do it with words. Sponge Balls and Cards Across are two of the most powerful effects I do. I don't float anything (yet?), but that is some heavy stuff - nyuk, nyuk.
After Sponge Balls you could say "If I knew how to do this with money, I'd go to Las Vegas and clean up. By the way, have you ever seen how they count cards in Las Vegas?" and go into Leaper. After that, ask for a bill. After recieving it, say "I'm not a very good gambler, so that's how I get money - I just ask for it!" Now, float away, and you'll probably end up with it for a tip, but don't bank on it. Remember, always accept tips, but never expect them.
Good luck,

gician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Need advice on these table hopping sets, please take a look. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL