The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing Groups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
Any one perform with a troup of sorts? I've been kicking this idea around for a while, just getting together a group of performers, jugglers and the like and hitting the streets. (Obviously I'm leaving out some steps in between) Does any one do this or have advice on starting a project like this up?
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Only one: Compared to a full time street juggler a magician looks bad. Really bad...
Gary Barnard
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
145 Posts

Profile of Gary Barnard
Well, I've done something similar to this before. My friend and I went out and did magic for people together. One of us watched and the other performed. The reason for this was, we could tell each other what were doing wrong and what we need to improve. It actually works quite well too, man. Hope this helped.
Gary

"It's in the very trickery that it pleases me. But show me how
the trick is done, and I have lost my interest therein."
- Seneca the Younger, In his 45th Epistle to Lucilius
(4 B.C.-A.D. 65)
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
There's a guy in Hollywood, Cameron Shadow, that works with a partner. Cameron does the show, and the partner works as a "talker", calling the tip, selling the hat, narrating the action. Its a pretty good act.

Christopher Wonder also works with a troupe, at least some of the time.

Break dancers always have a large posse (and ridiculously large hats...grrr.)

Keep in mind that you'll have to split the hats
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Unless I'm mistaken, this is exactly how the Cirque Du Soleil got started. What you need, is MONEY. Even if you don't plan to pay the performers, you'll at least have to feed them / insure them / transport, whatever. Any group of buskers greater than 4 will take up a considerable ammount of space / spots in a street-venue area, and earn the ire of other performers, unless of course, there aren't any yet, in which case this could be a FANTASTIC sucess. In streets, you might try going to city halls in advance, pitching your company, and trying to secure a permit for a weekend or 2. If you can do this, and line up at least 3 locations in advance, then you'll have no trouble getting performers to sign on & come along....simply for the convenience of having all the red-tape cut in advance. They just perform, pass the hat, & toss you a fin after each show. And don't be surprised if the city / local shop-owners ask you to extend your stay...it'll happen! I speak from the experience of my friend Vince, who did all of the above, and went to 27 locations in 11 cities in 9 states. All a street-performer really wants to do....is perform. The money is secondary. What they really love is actually being able to go out & perform for people, and once Vince let it be known that he'd cut through red tape and procured permits....performers were drawn to him like flies to honey....myself included. We had to have our own insurance, and after each show, it was $5 to the boss-man (Vince) and seeing as we each did something like 4-9 shows a day per location, and there were 14 of us....Vince made out pretty good.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
380 Posts

Profile of atucci
Zack - are you talking Hollywood, Ca or Hollywood, Florida? Thanks
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
I've never done this. However I have trained troupes to become street performers (Besides my other stuff I also work for a Circus School). And my best advice for a troupe is have a precise script to work from. A lot of wonderful byplay and comedy pieces can be created in a group that could never be done as a solo performer and it’s good to have much of that mapped out since it’s easier to have a chaotic situation (obviously since you’ll have several performers potentially doing several different things at once).

I wish that I could give you more advice but without seeing the specific styles and acts that your group does it's difficult to critique precisely.

At any rate, I wish you all the best with it!

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Me and a friends will hit the streets this summer. We're not much of a group, more of a pair. He will do most of the juggling and I will do most of the magic and escapes. (Even though I juggle in my own show, I don´t bother when my friend takes on five clubs and six balls.) We are trying to write some sort of a script to work from. I have never worked togheter with tomeone so this will be really interesting, and funny I hope.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Tony:

CA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing Groups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL