We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best street effects? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Quote:
On 2001-09-16 13:34, smagic166 wrote:
I think it would have to be two card monte, great trick, big effect, and it blows their minds, also 3 card monte is a cool effect Smile

christopher j hyde

I do a 2 card monti... It's Great!
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
The pass.
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
This is a great post!!!

Quote:
On 2001-11-01 16:27, Harry Murphy wrote:
Street magic? Visual, interactive, not easily blown away by the elements, and easily re-set are the qualities of a good street effect.

What is your goal? To walk up to a stranger and force them to watch your stuff (you’re in for a BIG surprise!).

The main goal of most street magicians is to turn a tip (get a big hat! MAKE MONEY!!!!!).

First you must develop an act. An act is more than doing some “tricks”. Usually three good tricks make an act.
Three tricks/effects plus an opener is the minimum you’ll need.

The opener is what gathers the crowd. The first thing a street performer/magician must ask him/herself is why would anyone want to pause and watch me (and give me a bit-o-money). Frankly, if you can’t answer that question with some trick/joke/novelty item then you are not ready for the streets!

Openers might include flourishes done to jokes or music (coins, balls, whatever,) linking rings, fire eating, anything to gather a crowd.

Andy Persagin as Sir Andrew performed a linking ring routine to poetry for years in Baltimore as his opener. He always drew a crowd.

Cellini draws a crowd with his unique look and starts out with a simple wand vanish. He specializes in smaller crowds and shorter shows. Turns the tip and starts over.

I watched Jeff Sheridan in 1976 (Central Park, New York City) draw a crowd with a length of rope that he “threatened” to cut and got into a tug of war with a couple of passerby’s. It was funny and I stopped to watch. He proceeded to astound us and got the tip.

OK, so you have a stopper.

What are your three tricks? First let me say that “Monte” tricks will get you arrested in most major cities. They look like gambling and the police treat it as such. Frankly most card tricks are a waste on the streets. Only the front few people truly get to see them. There are exceptions.

The egg bag is a good trick for the streets; a good routine usually has a spectator or two helping. A good rope routine (see Aldo Colombini’s various routines) including a Cut and restored rope works well (in fact Slidini’s cut and restored-professors nightmare routine is perfect). The Signed bill to lemon works (but is messy). Cups and balls always work.

My act involves some gags with a bandana to draw a crowd (make a chicken and bunny and then do the Fatima the dancer bit). Kids always stop and stop their parents! The chicken gag stops almost everyone! I will stall with some magic wand gags (stuck to my hand, and flip stick). When I get about 20 souls I start the act (more will stop as the act continues).

Then the act: A set up for a running gag. I borrow a bill the bigger the better (I have always managed to talk someone out of a 20!). Burn it and go on to the next effect.

The next effect is a simple and straightforward egg bag routine using two spectators. There is continuing banter about the burned bill!

Then I perform a ring and rope routine to cut and restored rope to thumb tie routine. Still banter with the audience about the 20.

Finish with the Cups and balls. Final load includes a lime and a lemon amongst other items. Both the lime and lemon can produce the signed bill. I have the spectator select one, take a knife and cut it open and there is a bill that is given to the spectator to unroll. It’s his/hers. I make my pitch for tips, relax and start over. Show is about 12 minutes I try to get in four an hour. In a good location the average hat is over a $50.00 a show. Do the math.

Finally I would like to say that David Blaine does not do street magic, he does magic on the streets! BIG difference. He is creating a TV special to sell a concept and has done it quite well. He does not earn money on the street. He earns his money in the studio (from the studio).
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Our very own founder and host Steve Brooks makes an appearance in our little forum.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Isn't there another section just for street magic? I seperate street magic and someone going out there making a living from tips, i.e, busking.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2002-04-27 01:54, Eric Evans wrote:
I don't know if you're still seeking input at this point, being that I stumbled upon this much after the fact, BUT...

Any trick can potentially work on the streets, it depends upon how you do it.
What is best, is to take those tricks that you feel confidant of and start working immediately.

That is the whole point to working out there -- learning. You can't learn if you ain't doing. And putting your butt on the line will give you the knowledge and confidence to take whatever feedback you get in your hat, assess, edit, change yourself and your show accordingly. That's what it's about.

The question isn't "what tricks work on the street," cause anything will work there.
The question is, "what are you supremely confidant of" cause otherwise, you're going to feel real foolish trying to perform some ring routine that somebody(?) said would work out there in the cold, hard world (nothing against ring routines here, just an example). The point is, do that voodoo that you do so well!

I just wanted to quote Brother Evans as to any "tricks" whether they be deemed street or not.
I see most magicians goofing off rather than actually performing magic.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Isn't there another section just for street magic? I seperate street magic and someone going out there making a living from tips, i.e, busking.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Wow... necro thread from hades.

Have to agree with Nick, this thread should be moved over to the "Street Magic" section.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
The ones that you can preform the best
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best street effects? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL