The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Leyser 2020 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Hi all,

I bought the above yesterday and here are my thoughts.

I had been warned of buying the effect by several people, mainly complaining that the gimmick was far too big and/or that it frequenly gave false readings.

I had the opportunity to see Leyser 2020 and Midas (by mentalism plus) in the same morning. Midas is a pricey bit of kit (around £300) but works very well. The two effects which Midas came with were an any coin in hand effect and a very clean bank night effect. Midas worked very well on both.

I then looked at leyser 2020 and was very impressed. Firstly the detection range is such that it will detect any coin through the back of an individuals hand and secondly it is all self contained (that is it is one unit strapped to your wrist, no external wires). Leyser 2020 also performs an extremely clean bank night routine.

The leyser gimmick costs £150.

The only advantage that Midas has over leyser 2020 is that due to the way the search beams operate it does not detect rings on a spectators fingers. This is an advantage however there are ways that you can get around this which are explained on the explanation DVD which is supplied with L2020.

So Midas is around double the price of L2020, however Leyser 2020 has one advantage (in my opinion) over the Midas. That is that Leyser 2020 is entirely self contained and you literally strap it to your wrist. This is a serious advantage as you don't have to mess around with feedings wires around your body.

Also, it should be said, that I have not been asked to write this review neither have I received any payment or discount for it. I don't even know Keylan so this is a fairly objective review.

Simon
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
What is the web site for Leyser 2020?

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Still looked pretty big to me on that website.
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Well, it is designed to be worn under a shirt
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
What are the practical differences between this item and Midas? what is the differences, if any, with regards to sensitivity, accuracy, interference, battery life, weight, between having an all incluvie unit like 202 versus a separate unit attached by a wire like Midas?

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Hi Mike,

Having compared both gimmicks within the space of about half an hour I can honestly say that the detection range is identical in both.

I would not be able to comment on battery life. I imagine it is similar however.

The units both weigh roughly the same. As 2020 sits on your arm it feels a little heavier to wear. You get used to it.

One disadvantage of Midas is that the vibrator unit is quite a hefty size and (personally) would find it extremely uncomfortable to wear underneath your clothes.

The midas (somehow) does not seem to detect rings on a specs fingers. This is an advantage, however I just tend to do it on people who are not wearing rings!
If I have no option then I will used someone who is wearing a ring, but just scan the un ringed hand. Naturally by a process of elimination I can tell which hand it's in (if I were doing a coin in hand effect).

I work professionally and for me to be able to get ready in a short period of time is a must. It is very useful for me that 2020 just clips to my arms.

Any more questions feel free to ask,

Simon
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Simon,

Thank you for your help and comments. Just one more question, if I may. Is there any noticeable "humming" noise when the 2020 vibrates?

Thank you again for your help and courtesy.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1109 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Hi Simon ,have you found it to be very accurate would you trust it to do the spike under cup effect.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Thanks for the review Simon!

I can see why 2020 would appeal however I still think that having the search head separate is better as there is a problem with transmitting vibration to a spectator, even accidentally. I tried this tonight: I strapped a phone to my arm and had it vibrate. I touched my wife's hands and she felt my arm buzzing. I only lightly brushed her hand.

The other drawback is that sometimes people grab my arm after a particularly impressive effect. If I had a 2020 I would be in deep trouble!

Has Keelan dropped the price by £50? Shame that. It means that the technology becomes accessible to everyone.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I would not trust anything even the specially made and expensive version from Europe for the nail under the cup routine.

While I do not have this effect yet, I personally do not forsee it being a problem about the spectator "feeling" the vibration. Just make certain that your hand does not touch the spectator. But the issue that you raised is a valid one in that it raises anotehr question as to what is the distance between your hand and the spectator's hands that is necessary to get an accurate reading in order to avoid accidentally touching the spectator's hand?

It certainly does sound like a very good effect and is versatile for several effects.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
392 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Can't this stuff be done without all that electronic stuff? I mean come on, do we really need to move satelites in space to get a spectator to give us a paper with our name on it? If I am out of line...let me know, it just seems like overkill.

I want to add though, in some cases these devices are KILLER! I think it takes an out-of-the-box thinker to make this type of investment worthwhile.
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Hi,

The vibration is audible if you are on your own in quite room. It is certainly not a problem in 99% of performing environments. In fact if you are even reasonably talented then you should be able to find away to cover this.

The vibration is weak enough that (even with the unit strapped to your wrist) you only just feel it. If you do the reading correctly then they should not feel it vibrate. Also bear in mind that unless they have enourmous hands then they should not come into contact with the device anyway.

Also, (with the possibility of the spectator grabbing your wrist) this is again a problem with many electronic magic devices. You could equally say though that you should not wear a thumb tip in case a spectator wants to shake your hand. They may feel something "odd" under your shirt sleeve however if you wear the device on your left arm it is extremely unlikely you would run in to any problems as most people shake hands with their right hand.

Also regarding Ritty360s point about, in my opinion there is very little point in performing mentalism unless it is under test conditions. It would be perfectly possible to devine which paper a spectator gives us without the use of electronics however we would most likely have to compromise somewhere along the line. (i.e. himber wallets, nail nicks) When mentalists start compromising by using unnecessary props then we start to look like magicians pretending that we can read minds instead of individuals who are using psychological techniques to affect other people behaviour.

The bank night routine which I was doing earlier was as follows:

Two identical and examanable jiffy bags (thick envelopes), a fifty pound note and a blank sheet of paper are given to a spectator. When my back is turned he puts the £50 note in one envelope and the paper in the other. I then turn around and he places an envelope in the palm of my hand. Immediately I tell him whether it contains a £50 or a blank slip.

If there is any way in which the above could be achived without the use of electronics then please let me know.

Electronic devices make things so much easier that I prefer to use them. Why not take advantage of the devices avaliable today instead of using the methods from the 1930's?

Simon
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
For those that might be interested, the Midas product will soon be issued in a smaller package, since the electronics board is very small; this will be acheived by seperating out the battery, which is essentially what makes the vibrating unit the size it is.

This will mean you will have a very thin unit (half the height and half the length of the original) with the battery in a seperate casing, so they can be worn inside a belt strap with no visible large objects, making it very good for closeup work.

The sensor head will remain the same size, approx the size of a watch head; hence alleviating any issues with spectators grabbing your arm.

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Hi Andrew,

Without wishing to split heirs here, the sensor head was considerably bigger than a watch head when I looked at it.

As an estimate I would guess it was about 2 inches long, by about 0.8 inches wide and about 0.4 Inches deep.

I may be way off here. What are the actual dimentions?

Simon
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
Keelan did it to my ring in fist,and I was very impressed!
but is it really worth the money to achieve the effects accomplised by this device?that is the only problem I am concerned when he told me the price at Blackpool.
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Quote:
On 2005-04-07 18:36, themindreader wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Without wishing to split heirs here, the sensor head was considerably bigger than a watch head when I looked at it.

As an estimate I would guess it was about 2 inches long, by about 0.8 inches wide and about 0.4 Inches deep.

I may be way off here. What are the actual dimentions?

Simon

From the website it says it is 6cm x 3cm x 1cm

It also has a 1p coin for comparison and from the size of the penny, the scale looks about right.
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Fair enough,

After reading "about the same size as a watch head" I would have assumed that the search head was a lot smaller than it is (i.e. maybe an inch wide by 0.4 inches deep).

Also (re Don's comment) why hold a mobile phone against someones skin in order to find out whether they will feel a vibration from the leyser 2020? They are completely different objects. That would be like me saying that the invisble deck does not work because somebody caught me whilst I was doing a pass!

Firstly the 2020 vibration is not as strong as a mobile phone vibration. Secondly you do not hold the device against someones skin and thirdly you do not draw attention to it.

When I looked at both devices Keylan told me he had not seen Midas and the Midas inventors told me that they had not seen the new version of 2020. As far as I am aware I am one of only a few people to have played with both. Surely this gives my review some validity.

Also, I would feel happy doing spike under cup with Leyser. Naturally I would take precautions (regardless of the method used) such as ensuring that there were no metal parts to the table to give me a false reading and locating where the spike was before bringing my hand down on any of the cups.

Simon
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
WOW these both look like great tricks.

It's good to see pro's releasing their professional audience tested material to the magic community. I am not sure which one I will go for...LOL

Keelan has been doing it since 2005 so he must have done it a lot. I wonder if Derren Brown got the idea from Keelan for his coin in hand routine in his mind control special (circa 2001). Keelan must have a fore arm the size of a 14 year olds after carrying that round for the last 5 years.

I am annoyed that I didn’t buy either prototype when they first came out. I am sure that the future modified units will not be worth as much in the future as the collectors item original. Oh well....

I'm off to the hole in the wall to get my cash out now....lol

Chris
tablehand magic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of tablehand magic
This is probably the greatest product ever offered to the magic fraternity. If only it came with instructions to be as charismatic and as entertaining as Dr. Keelan then my life would be complete. I suppose for now I will just have to make do with buying this wonderful product.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Leyser 2020 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL