The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Leyser 2020 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
keelanleyser
View Profile
New user
London UK
18 Posts

Profile of keelanleyser
Quote:
On 2005-04-08 20:46, Chris Jones wrote:
WOW these both look like great tricks.

It's good to see pro's releasing their professional audience tested material to the magic community. I am not sure which one I will go for...LOL

Keelan has been doing it since 2005 so he must have done it a lot. I wonder if Derren Brown got the idea from Keelan for his coin in hand routine in his mind control special (circa 2001). Keelan must have a fore arm the size of a 14 year olds after carrying that round for the last 5 years.

Actually, I have been using my gimmick for about 5 years and I have video footage of me performing the effect with a bottle top on Nickelodeon in 2000. Regarding it being audience tested. I assume you have not viewed the videos on website yet then....or do you assume I hired a load of actors to act amazed infront of audiences of 1000 people.

However....the other model on the market...where's the video evidence of that being audience tested?????
keelanleyser
View Profile
New user
London UK
18 Posts

Profile of keelanleyser
Quote:

Has Keelan dropped the price by £50? Shame that. It means that the technology becomes accessible to everyone.

Your point is??? That's my objective!
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
There'll be a video coming up very shortly of Midas in action.

Regarding the history of the "coin in hand" plot, I saw Derren perform this at the mind magic convention back in 2000.

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Quote:
On 2005-04-09 05:38, keelanleyser wrote:
Quote:

Has Keelan dropped the price by £50? Shame that. It means that the technology becomes accessible to everyone.

Your point is??? That's my objective!

Then, with respect, your understanding of mentalism is a bit skewed. As far as I understand it, you never release your best stuff and even if you do, you should put a high price tag on it to prevent it from falling into the hands of the masses. Seems like a sell out to me and the only thing that suffers is the art. Another devious method becomes ubiquitous. Ho hum.
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Keelan, how come you edited the "challenger and responder" patter out of that video? Is it because you lifted it directly from Derren Brown and felt embarrassed?
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Hi all,

Do we really need to get this bitchy towards eachother!

I have seen two metal detectors designed for mentalists. One has had bad press and the other has been marketed very well. I prefered the former!

Surely then we can be a little more objective and interesting in our reviews that having a poke at eachothers patter of the said effects!

Simon
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
I think I will go with the Leyser 2020. When too many people appear out of thin air and make their first post in a specific thread with the only reason to bash a product like this one, you may safely assume they are pushed to do it by the product of a competitor (Midas) an this is bad marketing.

Just my opinion but if others will see that too, then Leyser 2020 will have an increase in sales despite its attackers while Midas will have to be designed and re-designed, a video cd will have to be added (since Leyser originally was sold with it) if they want to sell it more.

Actually, according to someone who has posted above, they are already modifying it due to competition with the Leyser. So it's probably only wise to wait until they will declare they have a FINAL product! Would be bad for a customer pay loads of money only to find out that the next day they have improved the device and he has the old, bulky one.

And of course Leyser 2020 too could be re-designed and improved in turn, making this a never ending battle. But, still, for half the price of the Midas and for what the device is, and for the many routines and a video coming with it, I safely go with Leyser 2020.
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
416 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
Well I for one would like to thank Simon for his original post comparing the two products. Isn't this exactly what we are looking for in a magic forum review?

We are lucky enough to have someone who not only investigated and compared both products, they also took the time to write what appears to me to be an unbiased and very fair review of them both.

For any professional metalists who were considering one or the other of these exceptional products then a comparison like this is like golddust. It is also great that other Café members are chipping in with their own experiences.

So thanks Simon, for the initial great review.
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
That's OK Bananafish! Glad it was of use.

As I say, I have no axe to grind with either product.

Also (and it is only fair to say this), Midas is good. I just much prefer Leyser after comparing the two. If Leyser did not exist then I would have probably bought the Midas and been happy with it.

However Leyser does exist and it was half the price!

Simon
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Themindreader,

Thank you for your commetns. They were very helpful. As stated by "mesaboogie" in a previous post on this thread, Midas will be available with a seperate battery that could be attached to ones belt thereby making the actual unit smaller and thinner. He does not state when this "re-designed" version of Midas will become available or the price. But assuming that is the case and it is the same price as the current Midas product, would yur opinion change as to which model you prefer if Midas did come with a separate battery casing making the vibrating unit smaller and thinner or would you still prefer the 2020?

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I have PMed "mesaboogie" and sent an email to Mentalismplus to get confirmation and clarification as to when the "re-designed" Midas will become available and the price but I have not yet received a response.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Let me just add a few points.

James brought me in to test and give my feedback on Midas solely based on the fact that I am a professionaly performer and have lots of experience in a closeup setting.

I loved Midas but was unhappy with several factors, that being the strength of the vibration and the size of the vibraton unit. The vibration unit enclosure was about 60% "air", and it was only the height of the enclosed 9V battery that made it the height it was - the electronics are tiny! I therefore suggested that for me to be comfortable performing an evening of walkaround with it (note, I mainly perform without a jacket) that seperating the battery unit would drastically reduce the vibration unit and make it very easy to wear under the trouser belt. Housing two small enclosures rather than one big one is generally easier, anyway.

James took these ideas on board and is producing it soon. I also believe he improving the "single enclosure" version so that it is flatter and more easy to wear. At present, I don't know what the price will be on these upgraded devices.

What I want to make clear is the electronics are not being upgraded, they are custom made and are, from what I believe, the smallest metal detection electronics that exist anywhere !!

I am not hear to try and get one up on Leyser as I have not seen his version (though I have seen the pictures) I am just giving you an honest opinion on a product I am testing and will be using for my work.

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Hi Magicinsite,

Quite a hard question to answer to be fair. I can compare the Midas which I saw a few days ago to the Leyser 2020 because I have seen them both. It would be impossible for me to be objective when comparing a "new" version of the Midas to Leyser 2020 as I have not seen it.

Naturally as I have not seen both units any comments I might make would be invalid. (hint hint!!)

As a full-time professional I prefer Leyser 2020 as it takes me only about 30 seconds to put on. I hate having to "wire myself" with electronic gadgets although sometimes this is a necessary evil.

Also as there is only one unit it is much less likely to get damaged as there are no wires to pull.

If I were a hobbiest then Midas may hold more appeal for me, as I would only need to set up once a month or so, instead of several times per week.

Also the Leyser 2020 takes up far less room in my close-up case than the midas would.

The complaints which have been made against Leyser 2020 so far have fallen into two categorys. I will discuss each briefly now.

1) The device is too big.
The device is approxminately the size of a King Size Snickers bar. It sits comfortably on my forearm. The initial 2020 would have been a bit of a pain I am sure however the new one seems fine. If the spectator were to grab my arm (which would be extremely unlikely as I wear it on my left arm and shake hands with my right) then they might notice something, but if we are getting into such unlikely examples then it is still possible for them to feel the Midas search head as that is also quite chunky.

2) The spectator will feel the vibration if you are guessing which hand the are holding a coin in.
If done correcly you do not need to get the device to come into contact the the spectators hands. The detection range is such that that it detects through the hand. If you do happen to run into giant who asks to see the effect then you may need to come into contact with him, however all you would need to do is to actually move his hands whilst taking the reading and (just as in traditional close-up) the larger action will cover the smaller one. Even so the vibration is so weak that (through your suit) they would struggle to notice it.

If the end effect to the specatator is identical (as both devices do the same thing) then surely I would pick the device that is firstly more robust, secondly easier to set up and thirdly half the price.

Simon
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
So, apparently Cheung & the gang felt so threatened by the LEYSER 2020 competition that they had to immediately rework and rebuilt their "original" bulky MIDAS... and now MIDAS V2 has born!

Now that MIDAS V2 has come out... I wonder when LEYSER 2020 V2 will come out? Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I do not see Midas V2 listed on the mentalismplus web site.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Quote:
On 2005-04-28 12:51, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
So, apparently Cheung & the gang felt so threatened by the LEYSER 2020 competition that they had to immediately rework and rebuilt their "original" bulky MIDAS... and now MIDAS V2 has born!

Now that MIDAS V2 has come out... I wonder when LEYSER 2020 V2 will come out? Smile

From what I can gather, Leyser was redesigned after Midas was announced and Leyser's price was further reduced. The Leyser I saw at Blackpool was enormous so the one they currently market is the V2. The Midas that is currently on sale is, I believe, the final production version as opposed to the prototype.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Well, Don, it just happens that what I gathered was a quite different story... Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
You can gather what you want Paolo, the facts speak for themselves.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Yes... and the facts are that you are one of Cheung's rented friends pushing Midas beyond limit... and that you already denied all of that.

Be well... or not!
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
What on earth is that supposed to mean? I have no interest in this other than as a mere observer. I know none of the people involved so what is your problem? Sounds like you have a bee in your bonnet about something and whatever it is, get over it and please don't accuse me of anything you can't substantiate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Leyser 2020 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL