The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » When and to whom to perform ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic_Ram
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Magic_Ram
I heard about working at restaurants and I was wondering how this concept works. I am from Israel and we don't have this kind of entertainment here. What I don't understand is when do the magic take place. Is it during the waiting for the table or maybe when waiting for the food to come. I believe it is certainly not while they are eating because then they are busy with different kind of magic.
Also I am wondering who is the audience. I guess that a couple on a romantic dinner is out of the question due to the "appearing blue eye" syndrome.
So please can you describe a little, when exactly the magic take place and what is the kind of audience enjoys it.

Thanks.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Plenty of good books and videos on this. I'd suggest The Restaurant Workers Handbook by Jim Pace and Jerry MacGregor. This is an excellent book for the beginner and the sesasoned professional. Try Steven's Magic Emporium, Hank Lee's Magic Factory or your favorite dealer.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
Carl Andrews has a great book on restaurant magic that you should look into, it's called "magic from maui". It's a great resource on how to get into restaurant magic and teahces thirty trick that are made for the restaurant situation. If you are serious into performing in restuarants then you should give this book a read through.
frank
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
109 Posts

Profile of frank
Magic_ram:

See my signature block for some info to
help get "your feet wet" on the subject.

frank
FREE 5 Day Get Your First Restaurant Show Email Mini Course - to sign up...
Send a Blank Email Here:[email]freemagicinfo@getresponse.com[/email]
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2139 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I'll give a second vote to the Jim Pace book, and a vote for Kirk Charles' Guide to Restaurant magic.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Magic_Ram

When you perform depends upon your customers. In between courses, at the bar waiting for a table, covering for kitchen problems - all these periods can be filled by your magic. But some people actually ask to see magic while they're eating, and with larger tables you may be able to perform for a few fast eaters while the others are still working on their plates.

As for romantic couples - again, it depends upon the customers. Some enjoy the interruption, others don't. It's a matter of knowing when to go away and when to stay.

All the texts recommended above will give you ideas on the basics.

Cheers

Ian
Magic_Ram
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Magic_Ram
Thank you for your responses. I will try to get one of the recommended books.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I agree with all comments posted above. As just a couple of quick rules of thumb,

1) approach a table after a drinks have been delivered and the food order has been taken.

2) after the check has been delivered, after the meal.

3) perform in the lobby when there is a waiting list. Performing in an area that doesn't disrupt the flow of traffic in and out of the building is also a must.

I would also suggest you read Eugene Burgers thoughts on table hopping. I have personallly adopted some of his opinions and they have increased my tips, and improved the clientele in the restaurants and bars, which is of course, your purpose for being.

Happy researching,

Eric Jones
Prestidigitator
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » When and to whom to perform ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL