The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tricks at medieval markets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-04-08 15:29, Kondini wrote:
Themed events are great to do,I have been doing them for over twenty years now.Rule of thumb is usualy any type of magic will go providing the props and your garb look the era ie head chopper with rustic wood rather than glitter plastic finish.
Ken.

Excellent information Ken, but where do you find props in this day and age that aren't "glitter plastic finish"?

Quote:
On 2005-04-09 22:41, ufo wrote:
Ren-Faires are awesome. Egg bag really works well because it can be time period appropriate and requires no table, and allows you to bring spectators into the action. Remember the escapes all take on the possible dramatic angle of "sorcerors" being captured by the King's oppressors. Its always a crowd pleaser to "take on the establishment" at the Medieval events. Have a great time.

-Ed

According the Henry Hay, the egg bag of the day was a lot bigger and cruder than what we use today.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Re: Glitter Plastic Props.
If you can't find what you need, refinish what you can get. Wood veneers, decorative tacks, all these are available. I used a Delben Double Wrist Chopper -- plain wood, shiny metal. It made perfect sense.

Re: Egg Bag.

Nothing says you can't make a bigger Egg Bag. The earliest Egg Bags were production items for the most part. The Bamberg Egg Bag in Tarbell is a good example.

Also, most faires are lenient enough that they would not argue with the idea of using a modern Egg Bag. Why should they? It's a simple bag. Those were available during the time period. They had eggs. Those were also available.

The general rule is if the objects were available, you can use them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Take it from Mr.Palmer I have his cover issue of MUM I think its 97. He had lots of medieval magic in that issue. Hey Bill how did it feel standing with the Stonehenge monuments? Did you get to keep that cane they gave you!
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Stonehenge event was quite a thing for me. You can read about it here:
http://www.billpalmer.com/tour.htm

I didn't get to keep the dowsing rods, but I purchased some later.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-04-30 16:28, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you can't find what you need, refinish what you can get. Wood veneers, decorative tacks, all these are available. I used a Delben Double Wrist Chopper -- plain wood, shiny metal. It made perfect sense.

Nothing says you can't make a bigger Egg Bag. The earliest Egg Bags were production items for the most part. The Bamberg Egg Bag in Tarbell is a good example.

Also, most faires are lenient enough that they would not argue with the idea of using a modern Egg Bag. Why should they? It's a simple bag. Those were available during the time period. They had eggs. Those were also available.

I wasn't suggesting that you must use a "time realistic" egg bag. I don't think most faires would know the props that well anyway. (Although, of course, they would draw the line at Formica or glitter covered props - and contact paper is RIGHT out!).
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
What is egg bag?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-05-06 16:46, funny_gecko wrote:
What is egg bag?

A cloth bag and a (wooden, plastic, hollow or hardboiled) egg used to present a routine where the egg vanishes and reappears in the bag. Find a copy of "Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay, he explains the workings of the bag. You can make one, but the professional bags are better quality and the gimmick works better IMHO. At any rate, I'd suggest staying away from the red-flannel "EZ-magic" egg bag. I owned one and never had anything but trouble from it!
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Arkadia:

If you are going to do some magic tricks at a Medieval market I would suggest that you do some of the following:

Cups and Balls
Silk Tricks
Rope Tricks
Card Tricks, especially the Three Card Monte
Coin Tricks
The Three Shell Game
Billiard Ball Manipulation
Egg Magic, including the egg bag
Liquid Magic Tricks
Fire Magic Tricks

These type of effects would fit in more with that period of history.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I received Cellini's DVD "Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere" some days ago. It was one of the best DVDs I've ever seen, and I can strongly recommend it! Anyway, all of the tricks can be performed in a medieval setting! Great stuff!

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey Ark, talk about the great service and price you received!
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Sure, Ted! I just sent you an e-mail thanking you - but an open forum is a better place.

So if you consider buying any Cellini DVDs (Buy them! They're great.), do it from kozmomagic. The price was great, the service and fast shipping is wonderful, and I paid nothing for the shipping - to Sweden! That is something extra!

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I will second Ark's word about Ted's price and customer service. Ted responds very quickly to all orders I placed with him, and if there was a delay (when I pre-ordered "Live at the Jailhouse") he kept me informed about when it would ship.

Can't ask for better quality of product or service.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 06:03, mandrake01 wrote:

I wasn't suggesting that you must use a "time realistic" egg bag. I don't think most faires would know the props that well anyway. (Although, of course, they would draw the line at Formica or glitter covered props - and contact paper is RIGHT out!).

I believe I posses the world's only "time realistic" (the word actually is "period") Grant's Comedy Egg Bag, with the "surprise" chicken kicker being based on an illustration from the Book of Kells. Sure, I'm the only one who gets the joke, but then again sometimes the jokes are just for Me.

Using an egg bag in a period performance does much to restore it's meaning. A bag that could magically produce food would be a much valued item to your average resident of the Middle Ages, especially a traveler.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-04-30 16:28, Bill Palmer wrote:

I'm going OT here, but your comment reminded me of a sequence from a play called "Scrambled Feet". (The play features various skits about life in the theatre.) In the sequence, a young man has a small role in a production of "Julius Caesar" being performed outdoors. You hear his thoughts as the production goes on around him unseen. "Hey! There's that agent I invited. I can see him in the third row. (Tensing up) Oh, my God, I can see him. I forgot to take off my glasses! (Relaxes) Hey, what am I worried about? They had glass in ancient Rome, they had wire. I'm OK!" There's more to the sequence than that, but that was the pertinent part. (I think you can probably find a DVD of it on Amazon.com. They did a production on cable with Madeline Kahn.)

Quote:
On 2005-05-01 23:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
The Stonehenge event was quite a thing for me. You can read about it here:
http://www.billpalmer.com/tour.htm

I didn't get to keep the dowsing rods, but I purchased some later.

Impressive. Most impressive. I didn't see any dowsing rods, but I'll take your word on them. The "double rainbow" is that something that only shows up around Stonehenge? I've never heard of one.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've seen two double rainbows. One was at Stonehenge, the other was near Inverness a week later.

I did not say that there were any dowsing rods posted on the site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Egg bag is going into my act.

"Using an egg bag in a period performance does much to restore it's meaning. A bag that could magically produce food would be a much valued item to your average resident of the Middle Ages, especially a traveler."

I think this is the post that puts me over the edge on the egg bag.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Why not Silk to Egg? There is also a walk-around version not requiring the glass or real egg and it re-sets!

I'm not Medievil but it's work for the last 35 years!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are so many misconceptions still. Since this thread was first posted, I have done considerable research into early cups and balls, i.e. acetabula. The routines that were possible with them probably bore more than just a passing resemblance to the shell game than to modern cups and balls.

Don't get the idea that just because modern glass is so common, that the people during the Renaissance did not have any. There is a piece of clear glass in one of the museums in Vienna that is about as big as a 5 year old boy! Most renfaires have glassblowers. If you want to do the silk to egg, get one of the glassblowers to make you a receptacle for the innards of said egg.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill,

We also know that wine bottle from silk (actually napkin) was being done in 1432.

However, my real point is that there is no requirement to break and egg into any container.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's absolutely correct.

Also, you have to figure what looks best in your performing situation. For example, when I did the broom suspension, I toyed with the idea of using a besom instead of a flat broom. This really looked AWFUL. There were so many reasons not to do it. I won't go into them here. Instead, I had a broom maker at one of the faires make three brooms for me. They were handmade flat brooms, so they looked acceptable either in a modern context or a Renaissance context. Two were normal and one was gaffed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tricks at medieval markets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL