The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The WORST kind of spectator? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
krist0pher
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of krist0pher
I don't have all that much performance experience, but from what I do have under my belt thus far, I can honestly say that the worst kind of spectator that I've been graced with performing for has been something I call a "dabbler".

A "dabbler" is a low, low-grade enthusiast in Magic who's extent of Magical knowledge includes maybe a DL, a couple low-key flourishes (that we wouldn't take a second look at, but a lay person would), and a force or two. Because of this, he/she feels the needs to dismantle your performance any way possible.

Most of the time, their theories and assumptions are way off,...but it's still just as obnoxious. These are also the same exact people that will interrupt your performance, try to snatch your deck, and say "can I show you something?!?! Ever seen the bankrobbers trick!?!?".

What kinds of horrible spectators have you all had?
Kristopher Scofield

Myspace.com/imkrisscofield
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I believe the worst kind of Spectator is my Girlfriend!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The one uncontrollable element when performing is the type of spectator you will have. There is always a risk that your worst nightmare of a spectator has somehow creeped into the crowd. So, Kristopher, I guess the question of the day is how yu managed to handle that situation. Your experiences may give guidance to others.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
I think the worst spectators are the ones who don't care, my girlfriend picks me apart wen I practise in front of her, my mum loves to be amazed by my latest tricks both are excellent specs. But my sister just doesn't care and thast depressing for someone who loves magic so much
Gary Barnard
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
145 Posts

Profile of Gary Barnard
Yes, that's true. My broither says my magic bothers him and acts like he doesn't have time to watch it. That really makes me mad, lol.
Gary

"It's in the very trickery that it pleases me. But show me how
the trick is done, and I have lost my interest therein."
- Seneca the Younger, In his 45th Epistle to Lucilius
(4 B.C.-A.D. 65)
Mad Mat
View Profile
New user
Norwich, Norfolk, England
90 Posts

Profile of Mad Mat
I spose if they did ruin your trick it would be quite bad, but if not then your may look even better if the make an assumption and then you prove them wrong.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
The worse kind are the ones that feel that anyone who knows something they don't are challenging there intelligence. No matter how well you are presenting yourself. No matter how entertaining you are to everyone else who is watching your show. This one person treats everything like a challenge and they can't win in there mind. They refuse to let down that guard and just enjoy or at least try and appreciate it. Even though everyone else around is doing just that.

You'll meet these people and when you do don't worry about it to much. In all honesty it really is there loss. That's not to say that everyone does or even should like magic. I know quite a few people who can't stand it. I don't even try to change there minds. There are forms of entertainment I can't stand either but I know some people like it so I never stand in there way or judge them for it.

But in my experience these are the worse types of people to perform for. The ones with such low self esteem that they take everything as an attach at there very being.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Ron, I often agree with you and sometimes modestly disagree, but in this case you have my most enthusiastic support! Those people will STARE at your hands, and not the one that you want them to. If I am holding a ball in one hand then they will stare at the other. I had one this morning that bent over at the waist and almost stood on his head to try to see under my mini chop cup!

Others have seen me perform an effect and then when they had no clue just looked me up and down and ..... GUESSED!

(sigh)

My advice about these people is to never, ever do the same effect twice for them because if they didn't catch it the first time they will make sure to stare elsewhere the second. It won't take long for them to burn you no matter how good you are.

However, I do still perform for them. They are great. Once you think you have your routine down pat they will show you if you have any possible flaws.

The bad thing is, as you said, when you perform for them there's no magic and ... I'm here for the magic.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Quote:
On 2005-04-08 11:15, Corey Harris wrote:
I believe the worst kind of Spectator is my Girlfriend!

yeah I agree..mine too
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
For me the worst kind of spectator is one who sees magic as a puzzle. These people are very adept at solving puzzles and feel it is an obligation to do so. They really mean no harm and are surprised at your dismay when they arrive at the correct or nearly correct solution. They do not see it as entertainment and appear oblivious to how others are reacting. They thankfully are quickly noticed and doing additional magic for them is a waste of your time. Luckily this breed and the people who dislike magic for religious, moral or whatever reasons are a minority. This leaves us with plenty of people for whom to perform, and that is where your attention should be kept.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Maybe better magicians meet less worse spectators than worse magicians.

Hideo Kato
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I just let them have the floor and perform. I welcome them too but they shy away if they see how skillful and magical you are.

This has been my method eversince but I do it politely.
reitblat
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of reitblat
Well I think the worst types of spectators are, as kristopehr gracefully put it, dabblers. They ruin the trick for everyone elso who is watching and plus they babble about how they know how that worked and how it was stupid. And the annoying thing is that they are wrong every time. I believe that the "dabblers" are just people who have to put down others to raise their self esteem. I like disproving them in a subtle but embarrinsing way. Smile
Magic is the greatest accomplishment of man. If one were to change it wouldn't be the same.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
One time I was performing Fearsons Floating Cigarette. After I did it a guy came up and lit his lighter in front of me to light my cigarette. By his attitude I knew this was a challenge. He was hoping to find out it wasn't a real cigarette (AS if what it's made out of would make it possible to make float around the room.. Duh! Smile

Anyway, I let him light it then he said, "Ok, not make it float." Even though I was still set up to I declined the challenge and wouldn't make it float again. That is until he turned around to yell to everyone that I can't do it now. he could see me while he was saying this because I was kind of behind him when he turned around. While he wasn't looking I made it float down a foot or so from my mouth. Then right before he turned to look at me again I made it float back to my mouth. I repeated this a couple of times and the entire time he was bragging that he "caught me." Every negative word he said made him look more like a fool because he was saying I couldn't do what I was doing when he wasn't looking.

I finally let him in on it. Right in the middle of another negative sentence I let him see it float. His jaw dropped and everyone laughed at him and his reaction.

So the table completely turned on him. It may have seemed mean but hey, I didn't start it.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Now THAT was cool, Ron. I'm still working on the rapid response that you just described. I would have probably just given him the cigarette and said, "No, I've done it once, let's see YOU do it."

Your way is much better.
chrisch
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of chrisch
IMO friends at school are the worst because they try really hard to embarass you while performing and if they don't, they read your book/ look at the gimmick them blab about it to everyone
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I have a friend who knows a few moves and effects. For me it is very hard to surprise him, even if he doesn't know what I exactly do, he knows something..... So I "use" him now to tell me how my performance is, and I don't care whether HE gets the move or not.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
It's great to have a friend like this isn't it calexa? What's even better is those rare moment where you make that persons jaw drop. Then you know you got something good.. Smile

steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
Sometimes the worst type of spectators are the quiet ones. I have performed in several drama productions through out the years and the hardest crowd to give your best performance before is a dead one! Likewise, if a magic crowd it quiet, then once again we think they don't care.
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
It can be fun to perform for the "dabblers." I fondly remember absent-mindedly m**cl* p***ing a coin in front of one of these types (it's actually become a habit, some people bite their nails, I do coin flourishes). He immediately decided that I must have used IT to achieve the effect. I let him examine the vicinity and when he realized that his theory was incorrect, it left him with nowhere to go. Very entertaining.

It reminds me of the businessman who was responsible for teaching his associates a new process. They perceived him as some sort of guru who had a remarkable depth of knowledge in the field. The reality was that each week he studied to teach the next week's lesson.

You don't have to know everything to be perceived as great. You simply have to stay one step ahead of the perceivers.

Dabblers are easy to impress, just find out what they know and show them something they don't. When I worked in a magic shop, I prefaced all my tricks with, "Have you seen this one?" If they said no, I did the routine, if they said yes, I did something else. At least you know that the dabblers like magic, even if they can sometimes be obnoxious about it.

Quiet crowds can also be a good thing. If they're fidgeting you've lost their attention, but if they're REALLY quiet and holding still, you've got them so wrapped up in your show that they don't dare move or make noise for fear of missing something. The important thing is not to psyche yourself out, quiet crowds certainly can be unnerving.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The WORST kind of spectator? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL