The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » 500 dollars to spend on Wireless Mic System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magikev
View Profile
New user
California
18 Posts

Profile of magikev
Hi everybody. I have been reading all the topics here that I could find on wireless microphones, and thought I would simply ask my own question to clarify matters for myself. I just bought a Fender PD-150 (very happy with it), and am looking for a good wireless microphone to use with it. A lapel microphone would be ideal, but an earset would work fine for me as well. I am trying to stay away from the bulkier full headsets. I am leaning towards the Shure PGX14, as I have heard good things about it on the boards here. I was just curious how the sound is from the lav mike that it comes with. What would be everybody's recommendation for a 500 dollar microphone system that would have the best sound?

Sincerely,

Kevin Viner
http://www.kevinvinermagic.com
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I love the countryman E6 has worked out very well for me along with the Fender 150.

Ken
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
We have had excellent luck with the Fender executive wireless module designed for the PD150/250. It mounts inside the Passport so no external wires and the bodypack comes with Both a lav(lapel) and a nice headset mic. We have used a countryman E6 with the bodypack before on it but due to carelessles I broke that when shutting a case and pinching it.
Even if you decide to buy an external receiver mic I still suggest the built in Passport module as a backup. When I plug in the Fender batterypack, eveything is powered and there are few wires to manage.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13365 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You might want to check out the Audio-Technica Freeway 600 Series.
It is very small and you won't look like Madonna.

I don't think that look is a problem. It just wasn't for me so I looked around
and bought one of those. I am getting a PD-150 and will hopefully be putting the two to good use next weekend.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
799 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
There certainly are lots of possibilities, Kevin! I prefer the Shure PGX series, and as you've pointd out, the lav model is the PGX14. With the PGX, Shure has made finding an intereference-free frequency incredibly easy, and they've eliminated all the features that are never used by peple who aren't professional-audio-types. Finding an interfernce-free frequency will become more & more important until about 2010 (I think that date's right).

I can't deirectly compare the sound of the PGX's lav to the other brands, because I haven't heard them side-by-side, apple-to-apples. I do know that, on its own, the PGX lav sounds very good. If you decide to go for a headset, any given model will sound pretty-well the same no matter which wireless system its attached to. There will be a small difference, but nowhere near as much as if you changed to a different mic.
Dan McLean Jr
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11777 Posts

Profile of John C
I've not had any luck with hand held or lapel mics while they are in position. I mean the output is not very bright when using my sound system. I use a 50 watt Crate amp. If I use a lapel or a handheld wireless with a heavy duty power amp in a church the sound is great. Is that the problem with lapel mics? Do they reauire a hardy power amp to really pick up the voice?

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5705 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 12:01, johncesta wrote:

I've not had any luck with hand held or lapel mics while they are in position. I mean the output is not very bright when using my sound system. I use a 50 watt Crate amp. If I use a lapel or a handheld wireless with a heavy duty power amp in a church the sound is great. Is that the problem with lapel mics? Do they reauire a hardy power amp to really pick up the voice?

John

I use a Crate Limo amp, it's probably what you're using. I don't have trouble getting decent output from my mike, but that's because I use a hyper-cardoid, handheld, wired mike (Sennheiser e845s) with a Gimcrack holder. Be sure to check online reviews of any mike you plan to purchase - it can save you from wasting money.

Part of the reason that it may sound better in a church is because speakers are throughout the room. There's less feedback to get back to the mike. Lapel mikes tend not to be in the best spot to avoid feedback and to pickup your voice - headset mikes are better for that. I won't use anything but a cardoid or hyper-cardoid (preferred) in my show.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Often "house systems" or in your case a church high end equalized system has been balanced properly for the room, the speakers are usually away from you high on the wall, and there is an anti-feedback system in place. With all that you can bring up the gain much higher without issues but most importantly "a lapel mic is not a lapel mic". They are definitely Not created equal in quality. We have hooked up a high quality lav (lapel) to a crappy system and it worked great. Conversely we have used a low end lapel mic with a sophisicated equalized house system where the audio tech balanced us perfectly.
In an Ideal world you would first have the best mic you can afford and a quality equalized amplification system.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Personally I use a DPA 4088-F microphone. It sounds amazing and it is really small, the Countryman mic will break on you since they are poorly made. Search for the countryman microphones on the forums and you'll read why.

Here is a review by some sound tech people on the DPA I use:
http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_dpa_microphones/

A picture can be seen at:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4088F

Additionally I don't work for DPA or Sweetwater.

G0THIKE
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11777 Posts

Profile of John C
Alan,

When I use my Wireless handheld and hold it close to my mouth I get great output. But when I place it in the holder (Doug Malloy's mic holder) it's not so great. I like my Wireless AT Freewayatw-t602a mic but I'm not entirely happy with the way it sounds while it's hanging. Should the amp be up higher maybe on a stand?

John
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
799 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 20:43, johncesta wrote:
Should the amp be up higher maybe on a stand?

John,
The speakers should always above the height of the heads of the audience. That's a minimum height.

Here's an excerpt from MagicRoadie.com:
• Place your speakers such that everyone in the audience is within the speakers’ coverage area. In a smaller venue, if the people in the front would be able to hear you just fine without speakers, you don’t need to worry about their being within the speakers’ coverage area.
• Since the intelligibility-contributing high frequencies do a poor job at go through things, make sure the speakers are placed such that everyone in the audience can see the speakers’ horns/tweeters. If their eyes can see them, then so can their ears! Since having the speakers up high makes it easier for the folks at the back to hear, it means you can turn things down, making it less painful for the folks in the front and reducing the likelihood of feedback! This is one of the reasons that speakers at most large concerts are now ‘flown’ high above the stage.
• In order to achieve this, you’ll likely need to place the speakers on tripod stands. Be sure to use speaker stands safely! Place sandbags on the inside support bars of the stand to lower the stand’s centre of gravity, thereby making it less likely to tip over if bumped. (By the way, the horn/tweeter is the top component in the speaker, usually round & relatively small, or rectangular and flared.)
• Don’t expect your speakers to ‘throw’ 100 metres (100 yards).
• Place your speakers such that, when you’re using your mic, you can’t see any portion of the front of the speakers. This will ensure that you’re well outside the speaker’s coverage area.

Quote:
What would be everybody's recommendation for a 500 dollar microphone system that would have the best sound?

Back to the topic at hand, Kevin, you won't get any RF system with a DPA or Countryman E6 headset for $50. Not unless it's used. A DPA is probably at least $500US, and a Countryman is a little less, but still far too expensive to allow you to come under the $500 mark. If $500 is firm, stick to lav or a full-size headset. The good news is that the headsets that come with the less-expensive Shure & Sennheiser systems sound pretty good, and long as you place the mic just behind the corner of your mouth, and not in front of your mouth. A full-size headset will also offer excellent gain-before-feedback.

Anyway, Kevin, there's a lot of info for you to chew on in this thread, but the bottom line is up to you!
Cheers!
Dan McLean Jr
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5705 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 20:43, johncesta wrote:
Alan,

When I use my Wireless handheld and hold it close to my mouth I get great output. But when I place it in the holder (Doug Malloy's mic holder) it's not so great. I like my Wireless AT Freewayatw-t602a mic but I'm not entirely happy with the way it sounds while it's hanging. Should the amp be up higher maybe on a stand?

John

I use a different holder, a Gimcrack, which holds the mike out from the body, slightly. I have it cinched-up to my throat and it works great! I have the amp up on a speaker stand, for almost every performance - I don't want the sound to bounce right back to my mike. The hyper-cardoid characteristics of my mike make a great deal of difference. I hear that the AT Freeway system is omnidirectional, so I would never consider such a mike for anything but broadcast or recording work - definitely not for a live performance for a crowd.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11777 Posts

Profile of John C
My AT Mic is a ATW-T602 handheld microphone/transmitter features a dynamic unidirectional element with superior internal shock mounting

I think my problem may be the fact that the amp is on a chair. I will place it on a tripod stand and see how that goes.

Thanks,

John
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
You might look into this system:

Sennheiser ew152 G2 UHF Wireless Microphone System

Its a body pack transmitter, a receiver and a headset for $499.00 at http://www.sweetwater.com

G0THIKE
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
G0thike: it's funny, I was JUST about to post about the EW152 microphone as it is the one I just bought used here in Vancouver. Got it for a smokin deal!

It's the first generation (9V) as opposed to the 2 AA batteries, but the price was right!!

:D Btw, it sounds fantastic.
Logic Defied
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I just purchased a Shure PGX wireless headset for well under $500 and it sounds great with the Carvin Stagemate (thanks for the tip Michael Messing). Finding an open channel and syncing it to the transmitter couldn't be easier. Great product for a great price.

Ken
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I'm partial to the Sure brand microphones as well. They've always been the best for me. If you have the extra money, a countryman is also very very good. Gene Anderson turned me on to those! Here's the link for the countryman series:

http://www.countryman.com/store/?catid=10

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Robert,

I followed Magic Roadie's advice and went with the full headset for maximum gain before feedback. Eventually, I'm sure I'll end up with a Countryman....Thanks for the link....

Ken
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicman812
Ken, where did you get the Carvin Stagemate? I tried to google this but just got a bunch of magic Café hits. Also, any how would you say this compares to the PD-150.

Thanks!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Magicman812,

Here's the link to the Carvin site:

https://www.carvin20.com/products/single.php?product=S400D

I've never owned a PD150, so I can't compare the two. I love the Stagemate, even though it's a bit heavy with it's batteries. With the extension speaker, it has incredible coverage, and you can't beat the price.....

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » 500 dollars to spend on Wireless Mic System (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL