The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Where to start (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I am interested in learning Escapology but I don't know where to start. I'm thinking about Penguin's DVD's on Escapology http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=809are these worth the money. Thankyou.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
IMHO, If you want to start at the beginning I'd get the John Novak "Art of Escape" books and go from there.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The John Novak Books are a Excellent Investment. as the Encyclopedia of Escapes is. there is also a Book by Burling Hull. called something like 33 rope ties and chain escapes. I have heard mixed reviews on the dvds you have mentioned.
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Jeremy
Read all that you can get your hands on, experiment, create, start performing in front of friends, follow your passions, find a Mentor (extremely inspirational), learn to become your own Agent and how to write Proposals to event directors as well as Press releases to the Media. Get ready for a lot of work Smile
Best of Luck to you!

Cindi
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
No one has said this yet, but make sure you are practicing with someone you trust nearby, just in case. I am going to agree with Cindi, the gentleman who helped me start was the best of help, mroe than you can imagine.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
I second that Cliff and Cindi! Having a mentor and someone you trust is essential. Actually just having someone who shares in your dream and encourages you is invaluable. I was lucky to start doing escapes when I was pretty young and my family were always more than happy to strap me in a Posey so I could practice!

Read, read, read all you can! I agree with everyone that the Novak books are a good place to start. Have fun though, and definitely use the Café here...I know all of us are more than welcome to help!

Allan
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I would agree that the Novak Books are a good place to begin. The only place I know that sells them is the cannons http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/books&videos.html and are $14 each or $100 for the set. There's 8 volumes in all.

Or you could begin by picking something you'd like to learn about. I started off with a basic sj and learnt how to escape from it and how to perform it. Just with this piece of equipment alone you have quite alote to learn. SJ with loops, without loops and of course the double sj.

You could choose cuffs. In which case the best place to start would be with a pair of s&w 100s or something similar and a book or vid that teaches how to escape.

Either way you'll find something that interests you.

Can I ask. Why do you want to do escapes? Don't take that the wrong way, answering it will help you to find what it is you want to learn.

Have fun.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I beleive Abbotts has the Novak Books for $10.00 Ea.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Don do you have a link to the Abbots site?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Try this one Ros.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/
Hope that helps!

OK that web site might be new because they don't have a search mode on it and the Novak books aren't listed in the book or escape section. But I did call the shop at 1-800-92-MAGIC and confirmed that they do carry the books for $15 each. They pay shipping within the US. The guy on the phone said they could probably let the whole set go for $110 including shipping.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I'll sell my set for $80 plus shipping if anyone is interested Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Shawn, I'm in if no one else is gonna jump on this.
Tony
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Jeremy...

If you get the chance, PM Steve "Mr.Escape" Baker, he's the best in the world today and will offer you advice from 40 years experience.

~Rick~
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
On Magic for Magicians Escapology Forum I have a few tips and hints on all types of aspects with escapes too if you wish to check it out just follow the link under my name. Just email me once you have registered to the forums and I can then give you access to the Escapology Forum. But I will agree with Rick. Ifyou email Steve he will definately help you. He is a great person to speak to and is always willing to help.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
I concur!
The Novak series is outstanding. Recommend anything by Norman Bigelow, Bill Shirk and Mario Manzini as well. Those guys know their stuff!

Roger
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
While looking at Abbott's for the Novak books, be sure to get a copy of the Abbott's Escapes book. It has some very good material in it, especially for someone just starting out.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Jeremy

Anything you can get you're hands on by Ian McCall, and David De-Val!!

The John Novak books are a must have also!!

You should go to http://www.mrescape.com as well, and read the articles on the "Business of Escape."

Red Von
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I second going to Mr Escapes site.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Mind Freak
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mind Freak
I've never seen Mr. Escape mentioned in any books or magazines. Is he really as good as his website makes him out to be? I never heard of him before, then again I'm only in my 20s.

Roger Smile
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
He is great MF, very nice, knowlegable, and all around nice guy. He's done just about everything

Perry

32 hours of TV Specials
the list goes on

BTW, different countires as well, Japan, China, Australia.........
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Where to start (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL