The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magicians wishbone ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of silking
HELP-looking for a magicians wishbone ring. Anyone have any idea what dealer stocks them THANKS

Silking
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1111 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I remember some older issues of MAGIC magazine - probably about three years ago - carrying ads for these types of rings. I don't recall anything recent.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Try Daytona Magic. I've seen Harry Allen from Daytona Magic wearing this. I think he carry this ring as well.
Bernard Sim
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of silking
THANKS GUYS--Daytona Magic has the ring that I want.

Silking
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1111 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Those look like some nice rings!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
What's with this "wishbone" thing? What is it about this design that makes it magic-related? If I hadn't seen this thread, and I was shown one of these rings, I never would have associated the design with magic.

This post is not intended as a criticism; I'm just curious about the association. Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1111 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
It's sort of a tradition...

Check out the picture of Don Alan (one of the close-up legends of a bygone era) on the cover of Magic magazine, or check out some of the pictures of a large number of other magical greats of the past, and you'll see these rings.

I don't know when it started, but I think that it's nice to have some sort of common thread connecting generations of magicians. More recently you'll see Daniel Garcia wearing a wishbone ring on his "Torn" DVD.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The ring has been associated with magic for a long time. About 30 years ago when I first saw one, I asked what the ring had to do with magic, and I was told that if it was cut at any of its vertices, the ring would form an "M" for magician or a "W" for wizard.
willem
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of willem
I have a ring with a skull
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
I won't bore you with the history, but when you get yours, and get use to wearing it, take a deck of cards, out jog the top few and see what you and the "Ring can do"!
Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2005-04-24 00:10, Wizzard wrote:
I won't bore you with the history, but when you get yours, and get use to wearing it, take a deck of cards, out jog the top few and see what you and the "Ring can do"!
Wizzard

WOW!!
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4933 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2005-04-24 00:10, Wizzard wrote:
Wizzard

Magical history is NEVER boring. Please tell us the history of the ring.
Thank you,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
380 Posts

Profile of atucci
Larry's correct, I first noticed the ring when I first started attending magic club lectures in south Florida in the mid-seventies as well as conventions (Larry Week's 1-Day, Tannens, SAM, Florida State Magic Convention). There were usually at least one dealer at these events, if not more that offered these rings. At the time, they were worn by the 'older' guys (age 40's - infinity!)although 40's and 50's aren't so old anymore...........I've always looked at it as the "M" for magician and I never saw it worn on any finger but the ring finger.....by the late seventies/early eighties you rarely saw them...........
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
It is too bad this seems to be a thing that we have gotten away from.

I think a really nicely made ring could make for a nice piece that you could hand down from one magician to the next (master to pupil kind of thing) My 12 year old son is just starting to get into magic himself and I was thinking of getting one of these rings and be able to pass it along to him.
George Bleeks
View Profile
New user
Belfast, Northern Ireland
94 Posts

Profile of George Bleeks
I just picked one of these rings up for a great price at the recent Magic Circle flea market. It was part of the Bobby Bernard collection and so it has some inbuilt history. I am delighted with my purchase.
George Bleeks
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Anyone know if this are available at other places?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22825 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-05-17 22:29, paisa23 wrote:
Anyone know if this are available at other places?

Here is one version:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=112086

There are other places on the Internet that sell them as well, some different styles also.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Hegblini that looks amazing how thick are those. I don't like the super thin wedding band one ..
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22825 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They are actully referred to has "M" rings, the saying is, if you cut the ring and open it up, it creates the letter "M" for Magician.

I have only seen the thin model that magicians use to wear. As I said there are many styles now, I even see on with a diamond or stone on the point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magicians wishbone ring (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL