The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Spring Snake (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ste
View Profile
New user
Italy
70 Posts

Profile of Ste
Hello everybody!

I have a problem with my spring snake. When I bought it, was inside a plastic can with a cover.
The problem is just in the cover. In fact if I open my self the can, obviously there is no problem and the snake spring out creating surprise and hilarity, Smile but often when I give the can to some kid or woman to open it they unfortunately do not open in the “right” manner. When they start to open it they feel that inside there is something pull out so tend to be very careful to open the cover and the snake don’t spring over in the wonderful manner as one open instantly it.
As I said above I think the problem is in the cork as it is not screwed (so to open one has to have some turning in counterclockwise) but to open it is only necessary to make a quarter of the round (I hope you understand what I means); but I’m not so sure the problem is that…

Does any have the same problem and solution?

Thank you

Ste
Smile
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Ste,
If I understand you correctly the person who is opening the lid feels the pressure of the spring against the lid and doesn't pull the lid off, but holds pressure against it so it does not spring out.

You mentioned cork. There should not be any cork in the lid as it will cause friction against the spring when turning. The lid should be plastic or metal, usually the same material as the can. I also understand that you put the lid on so it only has to be turned one quarter turn to open. Then I might suggest that you try to hurry the person who is opening the can by saying "Hurry, quickly, open it now!" or some thing like that. If they feel that they must open it quickly they are less likely to think about why there is pressure on the lid.

Hope this will help, if not let us know and I am sure someone can help. Good luck.

Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Shaun
View Profile
New user
Durban - South Africa
11 Posts

Profile of Shaun
I would be reluctant to give the can to a helper to open, I would rather open the can myself - that way the joke is on me and not the helper - what if they get a BIG fright and burst into tears?

This way you won't have a problem, because you know how to open the can.
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I agree with Shaun. In my routines where snakes jump out, I always open the container. For example, we need crayons to colour the book. I brought some for everyone here. I pull out the container (which says "crayons") and upon opening it, the snakes spring out.

I am always able to "act" surprised, scared etc. Following that, if you set it up so a snake hangs out the end (as explained by David Ginn) you can play with "look, don't see" for some more fun.

The same idea is used for storing my magic wands, my magic dust, etc. All I do is change the label.

If you are looking for containers, an idea is to use the round tubes that people store large papers in, often artsist or architeches.

If your intent is to have the volunteer open, then I would go with the suggested idea of a "rush". However, I would structure the theme of the routine to be in a hurry. Maybe you are baking something, and inside is the flour. Have other containers that you are opening also and dumping the contents into your pan.

just my thoughts,

John
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi,
I've never really tinkered with springsnakes but perhaps if they were put in a small drawer box, you could show it empty and then get them to pull the draw open (or even do it yourself). I think showing it empty would really add to the impact and maybe solve the lid problem (of course, I don't how well spring snakes).
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Excellent point made by Shaun and JohnPert:
Turn the surprise/gag/shock against yourself and the audience will like it a whole lot more.
Making the volunteer -- who is, after all, doing you a favor by coming up on stage -- the butt of the joke is bad manners.
Audiences and audience members should be treated with respect, they way that you would treat a guest in your home, because they are just that when they are on your stage.
Ste
View Profile
New user
Italy
70 Posts

Profile of Ste
Thank you all of you who suggest me something about spring snake.
I think you are right in use my self the prop and take care about presentation and "act".
For JohnPert, what about spring snake as "look don't see"? In what David Ginn's book I can find it?
Can you summary explain the idea?

Thank you again!

Ste
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
David Ginn has a lot of great books. In his Kidbiz book it talks a little about the look don't see idea and also about using a jumbo wand with spring snakes. You can make your own. I use mine in a "wand" routine that I use. It has gone over very well, has some laugs, groans, lots of yelling, and such, oh... fun too.

QUESTION....
A question for all: Does anyone have any ideas on how to load spring snakes into a dove pan??? There was a great routine in the linking ring about a two years ago where snakes were loaded into a dove pan. I found this rather challenging, and it affected the little metal arms/springs that support the dove pan load. So, my question is, "Do you have an idea on how to load a dove pan w/ spring snakes?"

Cheers,

John
Shaun
View Profile
New user
Durban - South Africa
11 Posts

Profile of Shaun
I would use some tubing - one for each snake - this would prevent one springing sideways and trigering all the snakes prematurely, I would also consider drilling holes through each tube with a pin (attached to a thread) which can be inserted as each snake is loaded, then the lid can be put on and the thread pulled, to remove the pins.

All that would remain is to remove the lid at the appropriate time in your act.

Shaun
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Thanks Shaun,

That thought had entered my mind. My only thought was that the tubes were never in the dove pan earlier, but as long as we don't show the pan after the snakes appear, then there should be no problem, I guess.

Worth a try.

j.
sebbyg
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Hill, NJ
119 Posts

Profile of sebbyg
Ste,
Part of your spring-snake can problem may be that most of the general public has been over exposed to spring snakes and every time they see a can of "mixed nuts" they are expecting a snake and open the lid tentatively.

This is the precise comedic reason why ‘Amazing Jonathan’ gives his assistant a spring-snake can with real mixed nuts - that's a true surprise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Spring Snake (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL