The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Negotiating w/ Applebee's... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Hello all, I am pretty sure that there are some members here who work or have worked at an Applebee's. Did they pay you what you wanted or give you a run-around? I currently work two restaurants. One pays $50 per hour and I work for three hours once a week. The other pays me $40 per hour for two hours once a week (I gave them a break because they agreed to a six month contract). I have a meeting w/the manager of Applebee's on Friday. Do you think that they will pay me what the other jobs do or am I wasting my time? I have never negotiated w/a franchise before so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I worked for Applebee's and they were good about giving me what I asked for. However, I had to submit an invoice and wait 30 days or more to get paid--a decision that came down from corporate. When I started, I got cash at the end of my shift and gave them a receipt. I liked that, but not the policy change. It was too big a hassle for me to wait that long for a check. Also (though this may have just been the manager at my location) they were really big on me not accepting tips.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I do magic for fun, so I'm guessing on this, but the customers at Applebee's don't look like they would tip entertainment and the food servers separately. I mean to say that they wouldn't separate them and might leave less than usual for the server. Mabe that's why they frowned on the tipping.
~Joe
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
No maybe about it--he flat out said he didn't want me to accept tips because he didn't want even the perception that I was taking tips away from the servers. I have no problem with that.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
When dealing with a corporate entity it's common practice to be paid net 30 - in other words, once a month.

I invoice my corporate accounts monthly but I've take to adding net 30+5% if it's not paid on time. This has significantly cut back on late payments. The monthly payment structure is extended as a courtesy on my part to help them cut back on paper work - one check instead of four or five depending on the month.

I know you're providing entertainment, but in the corporate world, all they see is a vendor. You just happen to be selling entertainment. Being a vendor, when you go to this meeting; don't look at it as if you're asking for a raise. Sit down with them and let them know that due to increases in the cost of doing business, it's necessary for you to increase your prices. Let them know what your new price is and that you'll be charging them the new price starting on such and such a date.

They'll either agree or they'll look for another vendor. That's the free enterprise system.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I work at Applebee’s now. I do a performance fee of $120 for 3 hours, I accept tips and I receive a free meal at the end of my shift. I didn't ask for the meal, the manager just offered it to me after my first night there. I got what I wanted out of the deal, I make great tips, and I've received many private jobs from here as well.

I met with the General Manager, did my sales pitch and offered the free night. After he saw the reactions of the free night, he asked how much would it be to have me here every Tuesday. I told him my fee for a normal private party, then offered him the $120 performance fee for the evening also explaining that I work a lot of the magic conventions around the US and that I would need a week or so off in the summer but will have a capable replacement. They love the magic, the customers love it more. I have constant repeat customers that are getting to know the manager by name that come just to see some magic. I can say that Applebee’s is the best restaurant I have worked for so I say GO FOR IT!
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Twistedace I did the same thing only I got $100 for the night. Applebee's is a cool spot to work. I get the best reactions from the bar and have a hard time getting away from it. One of the nicer things is at Applebee's the tables are oversized which is nice because you actually have a little more space for using the table if need be.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I'm currently working an Applebee's and haven't had any problems. Here is a suggestion that can help you make some more money. Lets say you typically charge 100.00 and hour for restaurant work with a minimum of 2 hours. If they're willing to pay you that right off the bat then great, if not work out a deal with them on a temporary basis. They pay you $100.00 cash, and then $125.00 in restaurant gift certificiates (which cost them practically nothing), then you sell the gift certificates for $100.00 by selling them to people you know, on ebay, or wherever. The people save $25.00 bucks and you make your full fee while the manager saves money until he sees that you're worth your salt. Of course you need to be worth your salt if you want it to be temporary. Then again, if you don't mind the extra trouble you can just keep the arrangement. Either way, everyone wins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Negotiating w/ Applebee's... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL