We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A Topit? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cao314159
View Profile
New user
Seattle
87 Posts

Profile of Cao314159
I have been doing coin magic for quite a while now. Within the last 3 years, I have stumbled upon a great way to ditch a coin that I assume many others have discovered. I wear Old Navy Painters Jeans, and they have that nifty poket on the right side that is right there next to my hand during its natural swing. It is tilted, and I have gotten to the point that I can throw the coin down and have it land into this accidental Toppit! It is second nature now, to misdirect and ditch with the other hand. Anyone else do this? I find it a very practical option for the impromptu performer who does not wear a jacket. I have never been caught, even surrounded! Comments?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Most people wear dress clothes when they perform.
Some cuffing techniques use that approach.
Some folks, like Chavez students, have pants with special pockets in such places.

BTW, John Ramsay had such a pocket in place and used it for at least one routine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
A good location for a ditch. Gregory Wilson has some applications on this too but he uses the opposite pocket that you use.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Your topit idea sounds great! Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely try that one myself.

However, I am always amazed at how easy it is to rather boldly ditch a coin in my front pants pocket. I have, so far, never been caught, no matter how overtly I do it. With proper misdirection, I think I could actually wave the coin back and forth and yell "Yoohoo, lookie here!" and they'd still never see it.

Boldly Vanishing,

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
Cao314159
View Profile
New user
Seattle
87 Posts

Profile of Cao314159
Dr. Faust: No problem! Use it lots! I know exactly what you mean! Misdirection can make anything work. The reason I like the lower pocket though is that it so naturally falls in your arm swing, and it always stays open! However, my bolder subjects like to search me and my pockets. Seriously, some even check the back pockets! They never seem to notice the side pocket though.

Tell me how it works for you!

Caleb C.
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
If you like this sort of ditch, there are a few in Bobo (including cuffing, as Jonathan mentions and I believe uses). If you're dressed for the occasion, the breast pocket is a nice final resting place for a complete vanish.

Also, Pat Page has a nice ditch to a side jacket pocket that (in my opinion) is underused. I've only ever seen it in his lecture notes, however.

Ian
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-04-13 05:15, ithomson wrote:
Also, Pat Page has a nice ditch to a side jacket pocket that (in my opinion) is underused. I've only ever seen it in his lecture notes, however.

Ian
It's on his video/DVD re *Card to wallet* and it is outstanding..does fool anybody..as does the rest of his stuff, like f.ex. the steal of a bill out of an envelop..absolutely invisible..
Pat Page is a great guy, doing 'real' magic without the use of extraordinary skill, but by thinking about the best way to achieve a certaion result..
That guy is a walking encyclopedia of solid and deceptive magic, that is easy to do!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
I just got a pair of Dickies jeans that have a cell phone pocket low on the outside left thigh. Its perfect placement for dropping a coin if the hand is allowed to relax at the side of your body. Also because the legs of these jeans are long, I've been rolling them up into cuffs. Maybe I'll re-read that chapter in Bobo about cuffing and see what can be done.

Thankfully, there are not many of us that perform magic in the classic top hat and tails anymore. Not that there isn't a place for that sort of attire, just that it's very impractical and somewhat cliche.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-04-13 01:58, Cao314159 wrote:
However, my bolder subjects like to search me and my pockets. Seriously, some even check the back pockets!

That almost makes me want to "compliment" you on your audience management skills...

But, I have to admit, that has happened to me before, albiet only twice.

Once I was in Vegas grabbing a bite to eat at a bar. A young lady sat down beside me who was very friendly, I forget exactly how I got into doing some magic, but I did a coins through the bar top. After it was over, she proceeded to grab all over my lap looking for coins. What made it very awkward was that her parents were with her as well...

The other time I was on vacation last year in the Bahamas. I am at late night hang out for the local youth to get some ice cream. They have pool tables, pin ball games, etc. My brother in law knew the owner, and asked me to do some magic for the owner. I begin. I crowd gathers, so I keep going.

One lady is trying really hard to bust me. Eventually she reaches into my pockets when I wasn't expecting it, and pulls out the contents of my pockets.

I grabbed the stuff back and finished the magic. This instance wasn't as much awkward as it was annoying. But I was friendly and just stopped performing and had convesations with everyone instead.
Click to visit:
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-04-13 10:44, Dan Watkins wrote:
After it was over, she proceeded to grab all over my lap looking for coins.

Lucky you Smile

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yes... tsk tsk...Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Cao314159
View Profile
New user
Seattle
87 Posts

Profile of Cao314159
My jacket (bad weather jacket) has do many pockets going so many different ways that I can to an angle palm with a card and slide it right in, as it is chest level. I have so many pockets from my jacket and pants that sometimes it takes even me 5 minutes to find where I put somthing! I also do a lot of breast pocket ditching, and loading (spectators) for that matter, but I only wear shirts like that maybe an eighth of the total time I perform. Cuffing is also good if you wear silky pleated pants often. Sometimes a hanging coin can do the trick, but that is a little dirtier than previous methods I do.
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
Great! Thanks for the idea. My only gripe is that sometimes it's a pain to fish the coin/object out again. =P
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of wally
Which topit DVD or book shall I buy, I am putting together a cd routine, want to vanish cds?
Terrell
View Profile
New user
bladerunner35@yahoo.com
65 Posts

Profile of Terrell
I would love to find a topit device that can be worn without a jacket, etc. I have heard about Dan Sylvester’s Suspended Dimension, but I have heard it requires a certain article of clothing to be worn that is not something I even own, or ever wear, so it doesn’t seem practical for me. Carl Cloutier is am absolute genius with the topit, but I don’t wear sport jackets that much. I think the topit is a wonderful tool that makes many vanishes and switches possible, but since I don’t use one (yet) I am somewhat limited with what I can do. My slacks don’t have cuffs, and the jeans I wear don’t have side pockets. Anyone have any other ideas?
Terrell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'd like to be a fish, but I don't like water. Suggestions?

Do you wear a button down shirt and a tee shirt?

How do you dress to perform?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Jonathan Townsend put it very well..
I too like to use the Topit in the nude, as I very often perform in Nudist Camps..
I'm still working on a solution..
So far, I only disvovered one place for a ditch though.. Smile

It's kind of 'narrow', not to be compared with a real Topitopening, but can take a Silver$, though I miss most of the 'throws' yet, I'll keep on practising....

Bodylanguage helps a bit though, it's all in the -no, not *the eyes*- it's in the feets, the stand, a sudden jerk of the legs does help..

This message will selfdestruct in a couple of hours..the most.. Smile

Terrell
View Profile
New user
bladerunner35@yahoo.com
65 Posts

Profile of Terrell
Ahh, I see I've stumbled upon the schmahtty pants section. Actually I do wear a button-down.
Terrell
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-04-28 10:48, Terrell wrote:
....I think the topit is a wonderful tool that makes many vanishes and switches possible, but since I don’t use one (yet) I am somewhat limited with what I can do.
Well, compare it with *vanishing an elephant*..

There are certain conditions needed..and as you don't use one yet (Topit), so it might be a bit early to improve what you not yet have tried?

OTOH, any fresh idea is welcome and even food for thought, but one has to start at the basics, and when one does, it actually might be hard to come up with the question you originally came up with..

I too migth come up with THAT question, but not before I had tried out the possibilities of the existing and well workíng version..and I HAVE tried it out..

Your idea is great..to do it neglecting the 'needed' conditions..if and when you come up with a solution, please let me know too..

Don't give up..your original question is food for thought..and my original answer just reflects the impossibility of fullfilling your goals..which is NOT the same as somebody else might come up with a practical solution.. Smile
Nothing is impossible, but miracles take a littel longer..
The above just is the explanation re my original answer to your original question.. Smile
PS. Try to contact paulajayne on this forum, she made a treatise re the diff. versions of Topits

Terrell
View Profile
New user
bladerunner35@yahoo.com
65 Posts

Profile of Terrell
Thanks Werner. I appreciate your comments.
Terrell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A Topit? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL