The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Joe Porper's Strong Box!!! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased Joe Porper's Strong Box. I considered it for some time. After reading so many glowing reviews, I finally decided to get one for myself. Now, I must totally agree with so many others about the quality and design of this box. I know this item is not brand new to the market, but I believe it deserves public praise every time a new customer receives it. It is simply beautiful in appearance and built like a bank vault! It's also a prop that will easily last a lifetime and beyond. Yes, you'll be passing this one down for generations to come!

The method of entry is so ingenious that I believe no one will ever figure it out, even under the most detailed and thorough examination. I attempted to figure it out for over an hour after receiving it, without success. I never even got close to solving it. I finally gave up and resorted to the instructions. That level of difficulty was exactly what I was looking for, and I got it 100%! Yes, I was hoping I would have to look at the instructions, and, believe me, I did!

For something to be so solid and secured, the loading and unloading can be easily done in a flash. Yes, even a child could do it, after being shown how only one time! It requires no skill or practice. The only practice you may need is in the particular, unique routine you may develop with it.

Yes, this box is expensive, but considering the ingenious design and quality, I'd say it's worth every penny. It's destined to become a collector's item, for sure! I applaude Joe Porper for his creativity and dedication, taking magic to the highest levels for all of us.

Truly Satisfied and Thankful,

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I spent some time with Porpers Just a key before I finally gave up and had to read the instructions to find out how it worked.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Both the Key and the Strongbox are great examples of ingenious engineering that Joe applies to most of his creations. Like everyone, he has an occasional "loser," but these two are not among them.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I can't believe you guys don't read the instructions FIRST. I got a trick not long ago and figured I knew the work... and IMMEDIATELY BROKE IT... then reading the instructions it cautioned one to NOT do something...

Duh.... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Pete,

Normally, I would do nothing less than thoroughly read the instructions first. As a general rule, I'd say you're absolutely right. However, I consider this one to be significantly different in at least a couple of big ways.

Some props are never meant to be examined at all. Some props can handle only brief or casual examination. That is not the case with the Strong Box. This one is definitely meant to be examined. The ability to have something stolen out of (or put into) this secure, and thoroughly-examined locked box is the major magic here. Without thorough examination, the magic is greatly diminished. So, I figure the best thing is for me to do the honors of being the first. I've been told that directions don't actually come with it anyway. The directions I read, which came with mine, appear to have been printed by the company that sold it to me, rather than by anyone from the Joe Porper company. I've even seen it listed on one site that says it doesn't come with directions. This suggests again that the customer's initial attempt at solution is encouraged. This way it can be experienced from the spectator's point of view and, thereby, be appreciated for its complexity all the more.

Next, this one can also thoroughly withstand a thorough examination. It is by no means delicate in any way that I have discovered. So, I figured I would go ahead and be the first to put it through a test that would meet or exceed any test from a spectator. It easily passed my test, without ever coming close to being broken or damaged. In the closed and locked position in which I examined it, I don't see any way it ever could be broken. Now, in the unlikely even that your spectator brings out a sledge hammer, that's a different story.

Those are just my thoughts on the examination of at least select props such as this. I suppose there are exceptions to everything, and magic is no exception.

Thoroughly-Examined,

Dr. Faust
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK. Funny at Porper's the other day he had a dozen or so Strong Boxes on the table and I couldn't figure out how to open one. (I do not own one so have never seen the instructions). Smile
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
810 Posts

Profile of e-man
I got mine through HP and instruction don't come with it.They have you call to get in the box.I played with it for hours... No clue. then I called HP.Extremely clever (but not so quiet)I love it non the less.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
The Strong Box is one of the most beautiful gimmicks I own. The one thing that makes it especially fun, is this. Through the years I have had countless boxes handed to me to see if I could figure out the loading.

If you have ever done that with a close magician friend, this box is unique. Hopefully, your friend will say “please unlock it to give me a better chance of finding the “entrance.”

Owners of this box will be smiling, knowing that the “examiner” has just stepped another quantum leap farther away from figuring it out.

I will be working the box from my pocket. There is a slight sound issue to work around, but it can be covered.

Bob
hkmagician
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of hkmagician
The one I own don't have any sound .
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
Are you sure it's a Joe Porper Strong Box because mine makes a big chunk, took me a while to come up with a great routine, but that box is a killer.

Royston
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Hkmagician,

Yes, if yours really makes no sound, I also can't believe that you have the Porper box. However, if you are certain that you do have it, I'd sure be interested to know how this can be done silently. Please PM me, if you know something that I don't know.

Always curious,

Dr. Faust
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
This morning at Porper's I fiddled with the box and found doing it upside down, with the open lid toward you, then fold the box down worked best FOR ME. You can have the box in a paper bag (with hole in back) and as you close box crumple bag and the bag noise covers other sounds.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
810 Posts

Profile of e-man
That's a Great idea Pete,Thank You!
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Yes Pete, I also like your paper bag solution! It's a way to provide cover in more ways than one. Thanks!

Dr. Faust
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Use of bag not my idea, Porper told me it was R. Paul Wilson's -- just wanted to pass it on.
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Okay, Pete, thanks to R. Paul Wilson for conceiving the idea, thanks to Porper for telling you, and thanks to you for passing it on. Thanks to everyone!

Always giving credit where it's due,

Dr. Faust
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
I have figured out a way to minimize the sound problem with the Strong Box.

There is no way to adequately explain the process without jeopardizing the secret. If you are interested and own the box, and would like an alternative to the paper bag, PM me for another method.

To keep “non-owners” from learning more than is fair, I will step you through a question or two about the box to establish ownership and add your email address as there are 4 JPEG pictures.

Bob
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Way to go... thanks for keeping tight.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
I wonder what kind of routine you will perform with it...
This is such a beautiful prop, if you take this STRONG BOX out from a paper bag... just feel a little bit strange...
I wish I could think of a good routine with this box, or some other ring boxes.
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
...there's a Porper Strong Box on e-bay now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Joe Porper's Strong Box!!! (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL