The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Joe Porper's Strong Box!!! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
All this feedback is giving me ideas. I like using a Nest of Boxes and this will fit nicely into that routine.
Thanks!
mossymanmo
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of mossymanmo
Are there any reviews of the new Strong Box 2.0? I understand it works on a completely different principle from the original.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The .v2 is a box with some modifications to the original locking mechanism, but it's certainly not a completely different principle.

The original Strong Box was a Lippincott box, and the Strong Box 2 is a Lippincott box.

The "principle" is that of a Lippincott box.
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
449 Posts

Profile of martysh
How recent was the revision?
6 months?

a year ago?

two years?

Marty
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3006 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I am very tempted to use for a mentalism routine...but I don't know...how fast is the load?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
2999 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have the first version. It would be nice to know exactly what the improvements are? Otherwise, first version owners wouldn't know if the new version would be a better fit for them.
mossymanmo
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of mossymanmo
Cruiosity got the better of me and I received my Strong Box 2.0 today. First off, let me say that although it looks the same as the original s.b. the principle is completely different. You can do what you have to do on version 1 to attempt to open this box and nothing will happen. It is more on the style of a traditional lippincott box but with a major clever difference (actually 2 major differences). I don't think anyone would discover the secret no matter how long he plays with it. (The same is true of version 1 however). A downside, I guess, is that you can not do the excellent version 1 routine where the box is in a paper sandwich bag with an alligator clip holding the bag closed etc. etc. However a very simple but nice routine is included with version 2 where a borrowed ring is held by a spectator under a handerchief which turns out to be a key ring holding a small key. When the spectator, with that key, unlocks and opens the box the ring is inside. Which version is better? They are both excellent and as I said before, although identical in appearance very different in mechanics. Almost forgot to mention that you don't have the noise issue with version 2.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Mossy hit it with his review.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
2999 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks Mossy, that's exactly what we that own the original were wondering about!
mossymanmo
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of mossymanmo
Quote:
On 2012-02-10 05:52, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Thanks Mossy, that's exactly what we that own the original were wondering about!

I should also mention that unlike with the lippincott box, you don't have to go into the box to set it--the lid can be closed with the lock in place. Also you can reset it in about 2 seconds.
Joe Strantz
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Joe Strantz
Thanks to all for their thoughtful reviews. I've been considering purchasing one of the Porper "Strong Boxes" for quite some time now, but have held off bc they are somewhat pricey. I think after reading these reviews I will finally get one. Thanks again to all for the great information. Best, Joe.
Jedo
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Jedo
I want one Smile
Magic Mark
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Rather than start a new topic I thought it better to resurrect this one...

My magical passion was rekindled last week when I attended IBM Ring 76's swap meet. At the event I managed to score a great deal on a Porper Strong Box. It's been a prop that I've admired multiple times as I dipped my toes back into magic on and off over the last 10-15 years.

I am 100% certain this is a genuine Joe Porper (version 1) Strong Box. I've compared photos I've found on the web and it is NOT one of the knockoff boxes that are being sold.

Unfortunately, the purchase did not include the booklet containing the Gaetan Bloom routine. As I'm a bit of a completist, it would be nice to have the printed routine.

So, if anyone has an extra copy of the Gaetan Bloom routine or one you simply don't need anymore, I am interested in purchasing it from you for a fair price. Please send me a PM if you are so predisposed.

Thanks!

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I emailed Gaetan Bloom a few days ago (to ask about getting a copy of his routine) and received a reply this morning. He wrote:

Thanks for your mail
This box is really good...
Well, I have to say that I don't find it in my files, but I must have it somewhere...
of course, I wont charge you for that, it will be my pleasure....
If I don't find it, the best would be to ask Joe directly...
I am sure he will have it
Anyway, I let you know soon...

I actually reached out to Joe Porper a few days ago as well (through his Facebook page) and I'm hoping he will reply.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Update... Gaetan Bloom got back to me and attached a PDF of his routine that was included with the Porper Strong Box. He was really nice about it, proving again, that magicians are some of the nicest people on the planet!

Mark
FrankFindley
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Received one of these several months ago in a lot with other props and have been playing with it since. Just tried it today for first time live. Routine worked great so thought I would share in case others are looking for alternative ideas. It is a merge of bill change and bill tube ideas.

Borrowed $20 bill from audience member having them note last four digits of serial number while 'checking that it is real'. Did bill change saying towards end that I will turn it into a "one hundred" which they can keep instead. It was a $1 bill which I argued with them "is 100 pennies". They naturally ask if it can be changed back. "no, only works one way; scientists call it entropy. But it can be traded in for something equally valuable." Pulled out strong box from bag with their $20 bill in it. "You can trade it for what is in this box". Handed it to them to try and open. After few seconds of fiddling, handed them the key. Once out had them verify this bill was real by reading serial number, which of course proved it was their original bill.

It's nice in that you get the visual impact of bill change without the issue of having to change it back. Also, getting out the strong box provides a natural way to clean up that effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Joe Porper's Strong Box!!! (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL