The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cups and Balls dvd Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Can you guys give me some suggestions as to who has some great cups and balls routines and who the best teachers are? I bought the Royal Magic dvd as a beginning introduction, but would like to hear about what else is out there that is good. Any ideas/suggestions/opinions on which dvd/performers are worth getting, I would appreciate it. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Mark
"Go Browns!"
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations mstick,

Can of worms there ... you're going to find plenty of definitions of "great" so I'll define my terms. I give this advise from someone who performs at renfests and is looking to take the routine to the streets.

Michael Ammar's two-video set is a great learning/review tool; Gazzo's videos are must-haves; Cellini's lecture notes and Art of II show his routine; Stephens Learning Series shows a half-dozen odd different performances; Johnny Thompson's Commercial Magic has a good routine; for some quick and easy work there's Hampton Road's 25 Tricks.

I don't have the titles off the top of my head, even throught they're at the tip of my tongue but a quick web search should turn them up. I'm sure you'll get more, broader advise as the day goes along.

Good luck.

Joe in KC

"I consider no man a magician until he can adequately perform the Cups and Balls." -- Harry Houdini
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2215 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Check out Table Hopping Cups and Balls great routine and easy to learn!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
There are three very good items you need to get. The Michael Ammar Complete Cups and Balls book. As well as the two dvd's that go along with it.

It doesn't really matter who teaches you the cups and balls tho. What matters is what you put into the routine. There are hundreds of routines for this one effect alone out there. Study all you can about it. Study the older books as well.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
If you haven't got Michael Ammar's DVDs, I would suggest those first. If you can stretch your finances and get the Stevens Magic (Greater Magic Library) DVD, then get that too. You'll have several perspectives and lots of ideas.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
Ammar and Stevens as listed above and you can't go wrong.

Dave
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Thank you for the ideas. I guess I could have given just a little bit more information. I don't do this as a career or second job. I only do it for fun, at my kids' elementary school, at work at small parties, that sort of thing. I don't have time to practice nearly enough (4 children, sports, 4 children, after school activities, work, 4 children, you get the idea...), so I am looking for something that is a nice routine that the audience says, "wow", and their eyes light up, but is still manageable for a not-enough-time-for-practice-new-to-magic amateur beginner. Whew!.......
"Go Browns!"
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
875 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Carl Andrew's Table Hopping Cups And Balls DVD would be a GREAT choice!
Terrific Routine!
All the best,

Michael
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

OK. That's a little different. Get the Hampton Ridge 25 tricks with the Cups and Balls. It has a good basic, no-brainer routine. When you want to expand some, get the Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic book. For $25-odd (USD) you can't get more magic. I used to do that routine too. The HR25 will show you some basic moves, and the MWCCM will show you a little more, and it also has card, rope, ring, silk, and sponge magic, plus a few of illusions and more. It's a very good magic investment.

Good luck and have fun,

Joe in KC

"First, you should remember that the object of a conjurer is not, PRIMARILY to deceive. That is his secondary object - his first being to ENTERTAIN." – Wilfrid Jonson
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I am in your same situation (Children, work, etc). I can whole heartedly recommend the Mark Wilson routine from his Complete Course in Magic Book (I agree with Joe that you ned this book anyway). Smooth execution of this routine will get you the reactions that you seek. You will be up and running with this routine in a couple of weeks.

You might later decide to add a wand, seek out the "Perfect" final loads, add some flourishes, some nonsensical jokes, audience participation, and more (I have done all of the above), but you can do it all with a working routine and that is the beauty of it.

You might then join the ranks of us who are forever tweaking our Cups & Balls routines. It is a real presentation piece and a crowd pleaser.

Best of luck,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3725 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
All of the above mentioned recommendations are excellent. I would also throw in there Aldo Colombino's cups and balls routine. He goes in depth in his tape/DVD about Ascani's philosophy of transfers and motion. It is also a very entertaining and nicely paced routine.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Guys,

Thanks for the input. Where can I find that Carl Andrews dvd? I have looked everywhere without success. And what is the Colombini dvd called? Many thanks.

Mark
"Go Browns!"
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3725 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
The Colombini video with the cups and balls routine is called Classics of Magic.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
I use the Carl Andrews routine but with solid loads all the time in my close-up act at the restaurants I work.

It's a great routine, but theres quite a lot of slights to get down if your a novice which you need to keep doing to make it realy smooth,

Johnny Thompson's three cup routine in Commericial Classics volume 4 is a very traditional straight forward routine which may work better for you needs.

Hope this helps

Royston
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 12:08, mstick85 wrote:
Where can I find that Carl Andrews dvd? I have looked everywhere without success.

You can get it directly from A-1:
http://www.a1magicalmedia.com/

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
Michael Ammar doing his cups and balls live was an awesome experience. I reccommecnd getting his dvds on cups and balls.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Richard- A1magicalmedia gave me this message when I clicked on the link in your message. I still haven't found any place it is available. Every site says that is no longer available. Anyone have a used one they would like to sell?

This site is currently unavailable.

If you are the owner of this site, please contact us at 1-480-624-2515 at your earliest convenience.
"Go Browns!"
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
I simply cannot find that Carl Andrews Table Hopping dvd anywhere! If anyone knows where there is a copy just laying around somewhere collecting dust, let me know. Thanks!
"Go Browns!"
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
By the way, has anyone used the Scott Guinn booklet on Table Hopping Cups and Balls? I'm looking at that as an alternative.

Thanks,
Mark
"Go Browns!"
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
Mstick85
hope this helps http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=462

good luck

Royston
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cups and Balls dvd Routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL