The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stand-up card magic material (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Rodriguez
View Profile
New user
Maine
14 Posts

Profile of Chris Rodriguez
I'm looking for a good stand-up card magic dvd or set of dvds, that don't require a table at all. I looking for something that would be good for walk around. I'm always open to books too.

-Chris
Gary Kruse
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado Springs
146 Posts

Profile of Gary Kruse
It's pretty obvious but Harry Lorayne and others built a career out of impromptu, in the hands, card magic. I'd start there, and perfect your jog shuffles and in-the-hands false cuts. Steve Youell teaches the Griffin Triple cut and this is what I primarily use.

Gary
vanilla192
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Canada
94 Posts

Profile of vanilla192
Chris

you could get the videos from ellusionist.com, they teach great stuff and provide a basis of moves and techniques that allows you to creat your own card routines. Pretty well all of the stuff they teach can be done easily standing up. They teach a lot of david blaine type magic (ACR). But I personnally think these videos are wayy over priced. I would suggest the card college books, they teach EVERYTHING (small exageration) you need to know about card slieghts and moves, so much so that you can create entire shows based around the books, they are like encylopedias.

They have a lot of cool effects youcan purchase at ellusionist aswell, I would suggest the hummer card (cheap but highly effective), pyro perception, M5, ghost glass, spider pen, etc. all reputation makers for me.

But before you go over board with gimmicks I would definitly get a basis in card sleights. most of the really cool stuff I do is gimmickless.

Good luck! you can PM me for more info if you want.

Vanilla
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Sponge balls are good for walkaround, yet require some table space. Gregory Wilson's On the Spot has a lot of great non-card impromptu magic with coins that don't require table space. Search around, look at previews and see whats on it. Many pick a card routines don't require space.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1743 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 20:39, Gary Kruse wrote:
It's pretty obvious but Harry Lorayne and others built a career out of impromptu, in the hands, card magic. I'd start there, and perfect your jog shuffles and in-the-hands false cuts. Steve Youell teaches the Griffin Triple cut and this is what I primarily use.

Gary

Agreed. You can pick up a copy of Harry's new book (an updating of his earlier books) directly from Harry...it is a wealth of information!!
Fresh
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Fresh
What is Lorayne's webstie? Thanks.
Chris Rodriguez
View Profile
New user
Maine
14 Posts

Profile of Chris Rodriguez
Thanks guys... I'll be looking into some of Lorayne's stuff for sure.

-Chris
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
I think I already said it, but anyway...

Almost all card tricks can be turned into a standup version with some thinking.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Fresh:

Here is the URL of Harry Lorayne's website:
http://www.harrylorayne.com/

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Aldo Colombini has a dvd called standing ovation. This might be the one you are looking for. It was designed for non table performances.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
If you want to do close up magic as a stand up act check out Dai Vernon's tribute to Nate Leipzig and his tribute to Max Malini. Both magicians did a lot of close up magic on the stage.

The are very good and have a lot of good ideas as to how to present magic to a group of people.

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Chris, I second Rannie's advice. Get Aldo Colombini's DVD. They're full of great materials, they're easy to learn. You need not learn difficult sleights. But I have to correct Rannie. The correct name of the dvd is "Standing Room Only", but I'm sure you'll get a standing ovation if you do the materials here perfectly.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 14:02, bishthemagish wrote:
If you want to do close up magic as a stand up act check out Dai Vernon's tribute to Nate Leipzig and his tribute to Max Malini. Both magicians did a lot of close up magic on the stage.

The are very good and have a lot of good ideas as to how to present magic to a group of people.

I hope this helps...

Can't go wrong with this advice. Plus, check out Hollingworth's Drawing Room Deceptions, one of the best card books of all time and already a modern classic.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I'm going to second that comment about Aldo Columbini.

I also LOVE Carl Cloutiers work....his stuff is GREAT for stand up in my opinion.

-Chris.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 17:16, brianclementsvatua wrote:
Chris, I second Rannie's advice. Get Aldo Colombini's DVD. They're full of great materials, they're easy to learn. You need not learn difficult sleights. But I have to correct Rannie. The correct name of the dvd is "Standing Room Only", but I'm sure you'll get a standing ovation if you do the materials here perfectly.

Thanks dude. Standing Room Only It is! Wow!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stand-up card magic material (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL