The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Head Count On Sound (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Personally I don’t use an amp on the street and never have. While I have nothing against others using them and I also see some of the advantages I just don’t like wearing them when I’m working the street for my own various reasons.

So just out of curiosity who here does use an amp and who here doesn’t? I’m sort of interested in a general head count.

-Matt (TK)
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
I am not using any amp, although I though about using some. But then again I haven't needed one so far.

An amplifier makes only sense if the place you are working at is very noisy. Street festivals might be such an event. Especially if others street performers are using one.

During the "Kieler Woche" I couldn't use my voice anymore, because a group of drummers "killed" about two blocks with their noise. It was a very unfortunate thing because I had to find a different spot, which wasn't that good.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I don't use an amp, but then I don't get the big crowds... Smile never mind,

Chris
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have been involved in public speaking, doing seminars, lots of speaking engagements, MCing numerous events, and doing radio, etc for a lot of years, and can project my voice to a fairly large audience without a sound system.

On the street, I have yet to feel that I needed a sound system.

But I have done a couple of festivals where I was forced (due to loud music nearby) to go to a mime act, or accurately, yell till I was horse, and then still end up doing the mime act anyway. So next time I get that kind of environment, I will just save my voice and start out with a mime act.

It is hard, when words are your living, writing and speaking, to suddenly have to be wordless and do a mime act. But once you starting thinking about it, using exagerated gestures and facial expressions, you would be surprised what you can communicate. And the language is international. So although I have not yet performed out of the American continents, I think I could survive anyway as a result of having to work without words.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I was getting really bad headaches when I was working in the sun....and I was talking loudly....bought an amp and haven't had one since...i don't always use it though, in new orleans they will likely open royal street to cars thus eliminating most of the good pitches left there....and I think the big reason why is amplification....big shows blocking the saidewalks...NOT GOOD for me
I don't use an amp there....becaus eof this, the guys who do use amps have been warned and they just don't care....they say they will just nmove on,,,,this is BAD, total lack of responsibilty.....in part 3 of street performing we talked about this and what happens when you guys go out there and aren't responsible, respectful of your neighbors.....
my advice to you is make friends with the stores and the surrounding groups...people that are close by, don't **** them off because soon you waont have a place to work...keep it turned down, you are not the only one on the street
kozs
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Man, that will be a real shame if they open Royal to cars. I would think it would be bad for business as folks would just park and and leave the cars, going elsewhere like they do on the other streets there. And if it would be even worse if they don't allow parking, since if cars don't stop, the people wont either.

But that is just my opinion. Hope it doesn't happen....

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I hope so too....but its the bussinesses that want this to happen...we will see
koz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Head Count On Sound (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL