We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Your Favorite Dove Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
For those of us that work with doves, and even if you don't. What's your personal favorite dove effect. I'm curious to see the different responses here. Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Ummmmmmm, mine would probably have to be my dove from cards, using an invisible dove harness and my vanishing dove cage. Then again I love my dove from silk and my dove from gloves. I guess I love them all.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Well... I dunno if this counts but I do a cage to parakeet.

Ben Schwartz Smile
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody bounces a red rubber ball on the floor and when it comes back up it is a red dove. great.
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I think the Sleeve toss with returning dove. I am currently training Solid White Ringneck doves to do this. I thought about selling them, but only about 20% of the doves catch on quickly to this maneuver. It's a lot of work.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5096 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kendrix, the sleeve toss is a great opener but I'm curious about how you came up with the 20% figure? As a dove worker, I have had up to 28 doves at one time and all but one of them performed the feat within a very short time. That's almost 100%.

Maybe I've just had the smartest birds in the world. Maybe it's the way you are trying to perform the effect. Send me a PM if you want and I'll explain several different ways to make it happen.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I am not saying that more will not learn the sleeve toss if one persists. I said ~20% learn it readily. You may be better at it than I am. I use a narrow hallway with black backdrop and spot light in front of them. I have seen many acts where they end up on the ceiling or chandilier (probably a no-no for the sleeve toss). I start at 3-4 months of age.
MagicRyan
View Profile
New user
NH
39 Posts

Profile of MagicRyan
Its an oldie but a goodie... I use it at all my shows... Balloon to Dove. I have an old tray I purchased at an auction and have repainted and touched up and have had in my show for about 1 1/2 years now! Always gets that nice gasp sound from the crowd we all love to hear. I don't have it (but would like to if anyone has one they want to get rid of!) DOVES FROM AIR (I think it is called this). This is the very pretty effect where it looks like one magicain catches the doves in a "net" on a pole and deposits them nicely in to a cage like holder on the table (one man model) or into the waiting hands of an assistant (two person model).
The Simply Magic Ryan Mahoney
www.simplymagic.net
Ryan@simplymagic.net
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5096 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2002-10-15 20:15, Kendrix wrote:
I use a narrow hallway with black backdrop and spot light in front of them. I start at 3-4 months of age.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the method you are using to train your doves for the sleeve toss. I have never done it that way. I don't even begin the sleeve toss until my birds almost fly from one hand to another on their own without a little toss. Then I start the toss out. I've always trained them in my basement which is my practice room and has props set up all around. This seems to get them used to flying to my hand and not another object. I think we all use what works for us and there are multiple ways to accomplish the same result. Smile

Dave
Where the magic begins
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
Hi folks, I'm new on this site. I joined about a week ago. I've only posted once before, where I asked how to find films of Channing Pollock and other great dove workers performing. Maybe some of you could help me out. (I used to do a dove act when I was a teenager.) Lately, I have gotten back into magic.

My favorite dove effect was first done by General Grant, (as far as I know.)
He won the contest for originality at a magician's convention in Bridgeport Ct. back in 1955 for the following effect: he tosses a dove into the air which then turns into a white silk which flutters down from the air into his waiting hand. A very pretty and crowd pleasing effect. I remember seeing
Channing Pollock also do it when he returned from Europe in 1960. I don't think Channing was doing the dove to silk effect before he left for Europe, about 1956. I seem to remember the General doing it first, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know for sure? The above effect is now considered public domain, since so many dove workers do it. Smile
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
I was able to buy this video from Stevens Magic
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17060 Posts

Profile of joseph
I like Neil Foster's Dove Production. With his flawless handling, this always looks good. I was fortunate enough to see his act a couple of times at the Abbotts Get Together. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I'll always love the 'Toss Vanish' - particularly by Shimada. For those of you who haven't exprienced this, get The Greater Magic Video Libary - SHIMADA Vol. 2!
Amazing and beautiful magic. God I love that act! Shimada, once again, will astound you.

Randy Stewart
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
The coolest production to me is Joseph Gabriel's when he used to do the dove on shoulder thing when he would like go to put the cane away....man that thing was freakin' cool. It just got you every time. And I saw this one guy do a mechanical dove that turned to a real one when he tossed it out, I have no idea where it came from because it was in the middle of his act after two sleeve tosses Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
mafedi
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of mafedi
The best one is 'Toss Vanish', it is real magic...
martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
I also like the one where the magician bounces three balls off of the floor and the balls turn into doves.

If anyone has any info on how to do this please write it here or PM me!!

Thanks
-Martin-
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Magicman0323.

"Torn and Restored Dove" immediately comes to mind--especially in front of impressionable young minds filled with mush. If you get caught and fail in your restoration, I'd immediatley follow up with an effect called "A Lunch of Peking Dove" .

Just kidding. I am owned by a wonderful 20-month old Umbrella Cockatoo.

Turk

PS For what it's worth, I love the "bouncing ball changing into a dove" effect. I think that that is so very magical. I never tire of seeing it performed.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
The magician "Greg Frewin" who bounces the balls has a very unique and awesome act. I love his opener where he is holding a sling shot and a white ball. He pulls back on the ball and shoots it out, the ball looks like it tranforms into the dove in mid-air. It flies over the audience and then back to Greg.

Very Cool! Smile
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
318 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Double dove from silk
Dove to silk (with tail coat)
dove one cane

Those are my favorites.
Alex
Alex
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Greg's act is truly awesome. I plan to pick up his dove work dvd things. I hear he is opening his own theatre at Niagra Falls. I'll definitely try to see him.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Yeah how the heck did that guy do that mechanical dove to real dove after two sleeve tosses Dan. I'll never tell.

Matt
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Your Favorite Dove Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL