The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Would you like your watch back sir? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
One time I did a watch steal at Cheeta's in Vegas I did the watch steal to a guy who just wanted nothing to do with card tricks and when I revealed his Rolex he quickly offered me $100 when I declined and offered him his ring back he bought me a lap dance and a bottle Glennlivet for me and my girlfriend.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Ha! That’s the best story I have ever read on Magic Café, congrats man.

As for the "take this and put it under your pillow" line, I think that's where threes room to work with. I mean, if you do it with a piece of rope? Is it the same? If you do it with a dollar bill or a piece of balled up mouth coil after production is it the same? I don't think so. I don't think its ripping it off. If you use exactly the same line like "just tell mom the magician said so" it can even be ok. Honestly, who cares besides magicians? People don't care, agents don't care, and corporations don't care. Only magicians in chat rooms care.

I am not saying if you rip something off exactly like Gross's watch steal its right. (That’s a whole routine on its own) I think that's wrong. But a line? An idea you mold into your own? Come on!

I feel a war starting here. hehe
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
It doesn't matter if its rope, or whatever.

If you came up with the line yourself, then you are ok.

If you took the line from someone else and slightly changed it for yourself without permission of the author, then you are a thief.

Also, people not caring about ethics has no effect on something actually being right or wrong.

Whether its only "magicians in chat rooms" that care about it or not, stealing someone's lines and passing them off as your own is wrong.

Also:

If you didn't identify yourself as a magician, then I think that performer was completely in the clear for saying the line was his (obviously not for taking it in the first place, but obviously you don't divulge the history of every effect or line to LAYMEN).

I wonder what he would have said had he known you were a magician. That would be what mattered.

If I'm doing Doug Malloy's Lemon Game, and some magician in sheep’s clothing comes asking about how I got the idea for the routine, you had better bet I'd be lying through my teeth about it, questions asked (by laymen) before and after a performance *ARE* part of the performance still...
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Wow more accusations! Oh well, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Eric, Check out Derren Brown's Absolute Magic. I have just finished his chapter on pick pocketing and it has a fantastic routine on stealing everything a man owns and holds dear! Truly funny!
Keep passing the open windows!
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
I have them hold two cards and shake their hands together a few times saying they are going to change, either go into card routine then or tell them straight away. I saw it on TV. I can't remember who though.

daz
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
That's the thing I want to avoid. I started this topic because I wanted to know of actual TRICKS that are accomplished during the watch stealing. I hate pretending to do an effect and then ignore the fact nothing happened (like telling them the cards will change places and they don't)

But there are good ideas here. I think sponge balls are the obvious answer so I guess I will have to get over the fact I don't like them.
RizlaDizla
View Profile
New user
Essex UK
34 Posts

Profile of RizlaDizla
I've had Chappy Brazil's DVD for a few months now but have not had the right amount of practice yet. I try it on my friends but haven't stepped over to the next level and tried it on strangers as of yet.
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Oh well! I just bought reality twister and that could be one? You could hold their hand steady and do the move then? daz
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
I concur with Eric Daz that is a great idea that has a lot of potential do you mind if I play around with the idea?

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
I club them over the head and then take their watch! Or I bore them to death with the 21 card trick and take their wallet. To take their tie I tighten it until they cant breath. When they have passed out I remove their tie.

The amazing thing is that they don't notice any of this going on!
Marc Woods
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
141 Posts

Profile of Marc Woods
I am a really newbee into watch stealing but I am improving like hell since I started my steals.

I've been caught once in 8 steals last weeks!

It gives me a real kick of adrenaline.

What I do?

I make a cigarette vanish and return between my lips, then I offer the spectator to learn that trick and I place the cigarette between their hand...do the steal while they are repeating a spell together with me!

The cig didn't vanish off course, I really teach them the trick so they are happy! Smile

Then I tell them we're gonna travel in time, put his hand and my hand together and tell him that I need to know the current time first before we can travel and after the WOOW when he sees his watch is gone I present it back!

It gave me so much great reactions allready!

Marc Woods...
MiNDHACKER
www.marcwoods.nl
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I have been concentrating on it a little more these days and am being caught more than ever. I don't know why, maybe it's not fast enough. I get it 50% of the time but it's not good enough for me. The worst is some people don't tell me right away, some know I took their watch, they just let me take it and right before the reveal they say is a mocking tone "can I have my watch back now?" Ouch. It hurts, but it's funny and still amazing for the people watching who didn't see a thing. It's definitely something to master.
trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
I have only used a watch steal on a few occaisions and I have found that you can do it easily during scotch and soda or similar coin change thing. for a reveal you can play a game with a spectator and have him loose. Maybe like one of those find the 100 dollar bill games and he finds a dollar. You can then show a display case of consolation prizes and have his watch in there along with other cheap prizes.
mickey.w
View Profile
Veteran user
HK
312 Posts

Profile of mickey.w
My idea (well inspired by tobias):

Do The Ivory Connection.
Then, have the spectator pick a die and do dicey dots (you can have contact already)

then with one normal die and one clear die, you can do some die transpo in specs hands (more contact with spectators.)

that's what I do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Would you like your watch back sir? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL