The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How’s this for a show... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Yesterday, I received a phone call from a desperate parent. She was needing some entertainment for her son’s class party today!

Well, things have come to a standstill for me right now, so, I was available. She and I discuss the show... maximum age of children is 3, most are around 2. She’s wanting a 30 minute show, but I tell her they will not sit still for that long. I tell her the most I am willing to do for that age group is 15 minutes, and it will be mostly storytelling with one magic trick at the end where I produce goodies for the children.

She agreed to that. So, I go to the daycare, and find the room and meet the mother. Now, I assume this is a holiday party, since every school in the district is having their holiday parties today. While I’m getting ready, I hear them sing Happy Birthday.

This isn’t a holiday party... this is a birthday party! All I have with me is holiday stuff! Oh well, I can’t do anything about it... so, I put on my antlers, and haul my stuff into the room. I sit near the children, and then bring out my dragon puppet, Howard, who proceeds to tell them a story.

After Howard is done, I then go into my Santa Claus stuff. We talk about the reindeer and which one it is that has the red nose... how Santa gets down the chimney, and all sorts of other stuff.

The kids seem to enjoy it, but I can tell I’m losing them near the end of the story. I end the story quickly, produce the candy for the children, wish them Happy Holidays (and happy birthday to the birthday boy), and then leave.

I’ve never quite had a show like this before, but I think it was a success. The mother seemed to be pleased, although she apologized for the behavior of the children there at the end.

I understood and told her no apologies necessary, that’s why I ended when I did.

I knew if I did one more thing, before the end, children would be running all over the place.

So, I can now say I’ve done a show for the 2-3 year old crowd!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
And more power to you, Margarette, for doing it and doing it so well.

You gave a good example of thinking on your feet, in adapting the show or, at least, in soldiering on.

Congrats!

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Sounds like you did a great job Margarette. Way to go. These things happen and all you can do is your best, which you did. Smile
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

I do many shows for 2&3 year olds, 30 mins is the norm, all magic and balloons, rarely have any problems. If the school has a nursery group and here in the UK alot do then they sit with the 4-11 year olds and watch a 45 min show.

(I did 3 performances like this yesterday)

phillip
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Be careful with balloons, you know where they are going...right into the mouth of the babes. Avoid them with this age group or carry a large insurance policy.

Puppets are good. Remember what they like on TV... Barney and Blue's Clues.

I wonder what Margarette would have done if it was a Jewish Day-care Center? She appears to be quite good at thinking on her feet. That comes from experience.

Smile
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dennis makes a valid point about balloons.

In addition, many areas -- schools, hospitals, etc. -- have a policy against balloons because of latex allergies.

In those cases, you might want to try something else, like small beads:

With a short string (about 13) of tiny beads like the ones from craft shops used for decorating parcels, you can make a bead doggie, for instance.

The moves are exactly the same as with balloons.

Or a paper rose (there are a number of sites on the web, explaining this).

Or origami (there are several books with simple and quick figures).

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

I carry 2 million pound public liabilty insurance. But here, in the Uk we do not at the moment have as much in the way of lawsuits as you do there. Most of the playgroups here want you to do balloons.

I do the childrens ward in our local hospital the 1st wednesday in every month and they always want balloons as do the nurses. In fact I have only once in the last 20 years been asked not to include the balloons and this was for an autistic group with one child in particarlar that did not like balloons. The following year he had moved to another district and when I said "oh you don’t want the ballons do you" the reply was "yes please"

phillip
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I did ask the mother about doing balloons for the children...that was my first question about a show for children that age. Her response was the daycare had a policy against balloons for children that young. So, that took care of that!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
Margarette, it sounds like you did a fine job of improvising. I have learned the hard way to bring a wide variety of things, to cover all eventualities and changes. One time the agent told me to show up for strolling and close-up, and, when I arrived, the client showed me the stage and asked me how I'd like to be introduced! (Gasp!) Ever since, I come ready for anything, regardless of what I'm told to expect. Also, sometimes something goes wrong and I get asked to cover X minutes while they get back on track. Ya never know.....
bdormer
View Profile
New user
Maryland, USA
49 Posts

Profile of bdormer
Sounds like you did a great job - but this points out a theme that I keep seeing here -that performers are showing up a gigs without the appropriate props.

This makes a strong case (no pun intended) for organizing all your props and TAKE EVERYTHING WITH YOU TO EVERY BOOKING. You might have to "thin out" your props and you will almost certainly have to invest in some carrying cases (that's another forum). But never know when a prop might be the thing that MAKES the day for someone in the audience.

Like the boyscouts say : Always be prepared.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How’s this for a show... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL