The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Permission? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Hello fellow magiccafe member,

I have a question and I figured this would be the best place to post it. I watch tv and I see a lot of magicians performing tricks that are somebody else's creation. I was wondering do these people have to get permission and if not how does this work? Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.THANKS!)

BTW, I have heard that they only have to get permission if somebody else has bought the rights to the trick or something to that effect. If this is so, how do you find out who has bought the rights to each trick.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.THANKS!)
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Once a trick is either published or sold as an individual trick you automatically have the right to perform it unless they have stipulated that they reserve the right to perform it on tv. Not sure if the tv right is even legal. Since they sold or publish the trick, anyone can perform it.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Allan,

I think you meant to say - "Once a trick is either published and you buy the book, or is sold as an individual trick and you buy the prop, you automatically have the right to perform it unless they have stipulated that they reserve the right to perform it on tv."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think Murray hemmed it up a lot better. If you (personally) did not pay to buy those rights from the owner, don't assume that you have any! Even then it is wise to get it in writing.

The right to "know how" is not the right to use.

Someone else having permission does not give others permission.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Several years ago Lance Burton wanted to perform his own version of my trick, "Whiz Kote" (made by Chalet Magic) the burnt shoe comedy routine.

They contacted me and paid me a performance fee to have the rights to perform my trick even though he has his own prop built by another magic manufacturer.

He performed it in is second TV special. Even though he did not use the prop built by Chalet he was responsible enough to me to pay me just for the performance rights. I was impressed.

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-04-21 01:20, Steve Hart wrote:
Several years ago Lance Burton wanted to perform his own version of my trick, "Whiz Kote" (made by Chalet Magic) the burnt shoe comedy routine.

They contacted me and paid me a performance fee to have the rights to perform my trick even though he has his own prop built by another magic manufacturer.

He performed it in is second TV special. Even though he did not use the prop built by Chalet he was responsible enough to me to pay me just for the performance rights. I was impressed.

Steve Hart

Class never goes out of style!

I hope we get to say that often.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
puppetshows
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of puppetshows
That's a great routine, I own the Chalet Version and its great!
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
No trick is YOURS to own...the only thing you own is yourself
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Aaah BB I don't think that is what magicianguy4life was asking

Let's all move to the spiritual realm for BB!
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Iceentertainment, are you talking to me, to BBMagic , or to the world at large?

Like many of your posts , I don't understand it

bb
Dennis Online
View Profile
New user
Ohio
42 Posts

Profile of Dennis Online
I've wondered since I got into magic how someone can "own" an illusion. The first time I saw Mark Wilson turn a scarf into a hollow egg and then into a REAL egg, I knew I had to learn that trick. I watched it over and over again on the VCR. It was a performance only video from one of his Pillsbury magic shows.
I do not know if I perform it exactly as he does, and my patter is different (I use a Gospel patter).
Now, did I steal his trick?
I've since bought two "silk to egg" models and methods that I do not like. Resold them right quick. But I perform the method I devised after watching Mark Wilson. It may or may not be the method Mark uses.
I recently read Duane Laflin's book on Gospel Magic and discovered his patter was very similar to mine for the Strat-o-Sphere. I developed mine on my own, and it covers what Duane says and much more. Although there are definite differences, the average person might assume one of us must have seen the other perform it. Do we have to figure out who did what first to see who "owns" the routine?
I used to build decks (still do for friends and family). I've developed a couple little tricks to make it easier to build a better deck without help. Now, should I expect other builders to get my permission before using my methods?
I honestly cannot understand how a magician can "own" a method of creating an illusion. I understand they own original patter, but did the first magician to do the Zombie have the right to claim that he alone was allowed to float a ball on a cloth?
Please, enlighten me.
For free articles on magic and marketing, check out http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Magic
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2005-04-21 01:20, Steve Hart wrote:

Steve Hart

I'm sure many in the magic community would be interested in your response to the claim that Jim Gerrish (sp) invented this trick. Is this a new claim or? Check out the Burnt Shoe thread to see how this gentleman claims that not only is the Wiz Kote his effect (put our under the name OOPS machine)and the instructions for building this machine can be found in Genii, Volune 49 #2, August 1985, Page 86.

Check out the following thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=7 for more details.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Dennis - your point is a good one. Add to that the fact that there is very little actually new in magic and that there are often major disagreements about who created something, and the whole topic of rights and ownership often becomes very difficult to discuss.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I agree -- I'd like to see Steve's response the the WizKote/Burnt Shoe Question.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Permission? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL