The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For? Against? Magic Books in Laymen Bookstores (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jwade
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of jwade
Most people don't even know they are there. I bought Bobo on Modern Coin Magic the other day and the cashier just looked at it like "what is this?"
Azaziel
View Profile
New user
California
51 Posts

Profile of Azaziel
I think that its ok.. cause those young inspired kids can get some info.. And like everyone else, if they want to persue the trait they can look up some good online magic shops and order..
The greatest tick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
It's far easier these days for someone to Google a magic shop and buy "the good stuff" (nobody asks you if you're a "real magician"), than it is for someone to actually make the effort to go into a bookstore. I'm all for bookstores stocking the basics.
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
This is such a hard topic. on one hand there are a few goodhearted, curious people who want to learn "magic." But in my experience, most just want to learn "magic secrets." I cant imagine how many time people I know that don't like me for whatever reason have just looked at books at libraries or bookstores just so they can find out how I did it and call me out. Me? Why me? because people don't like what they don't understand. but I still would like magic books to be in laymen bookstores because it is good for magic in general. I don't care what you say but the only way to grow is to know!
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 23:33, Schismatized wrote:
But in my experience, most just want to learn "magic secrets."

It's a shame. When people just want to learn "magic secrets", and they find them out, they destroy the magic for themselves, and are ultimately the losers.

Quote:
On 2005-08-11 23:33, Schismatized wrote:
I cant imagine how many time people I know that don't like me for whatever reason have just looked at books at libraries or bookstores just so they can find out how I did it and call me out.

Then why are you performing for those people who don't like you? If you do so, you are effectively issuing a challenge. Magic should be entertainment, not a challenge.
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
I don't think there is anything wrong with publishing books on magic and selling them in bookstores. Good magic books at local bookstores will make it easier for new people especially children to learn magic. Chess masters have written many volumes on how to play chess and chess studies, I don't think any of them fear exposure of their methods. What bugs me is all the stupid David Blaine mysteries revealed sites on the web. Magic is more than secrets, it's an art and a craft and sites that reveal this information just ruin the magic for spectators. Oh that's how it's done, golly and there goes the mystery and wonder from their lives. When they enter our temple at it's best they experience wonder. When they just read the rites they get bored, serves them right.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
405 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Bookstores will continue to carry magic books - I see no point in resisting or opposing this in any way. They don't do any particular marketing around the magic books so it will neither help nor hinder the craft in the long run. It may add some conveneince for those who don't live near a magic store - I don't see much more of an impact otherwise.
In today's world, if someone wants to know the "secrets", they can find most of their answers on the internet in less time than it would take to drive to the local bookstore.
A great man once said "It is what it is"
He was right.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Personnally, I am all for it! When I first got interested in magic, I did not have a professionnal magician available as a mentor, no organizations that knew of, no magic store that I could find... and no internet (back in the 70's...)to get more info...

The only source of magic tricks and explanations were books from an ordinary librairy and bookstore, along with magic kits for kids. Some books were way over my head at the time, but I still have them. They allowed me to progress in magic, and I have no doubts that others are taking their first steps in the magical arts because these books are available to lay persons!

Besides.. as it was said in earlier posts, people not really interested in magic will certainly not shell out the bucks to buy a book they don't intend to do anything with... And they certainly will not understand anything by simply browsing through them.

Have a good day!

Louis Jutras
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
I think it was Eugene Burger who said that more magic is revealed by magicians doing bad magic than books. What's the worst type of exposure researching something on the net and learning how it's done, or watching someone botch a trick and revealing what was supposed to be done. If it's the later we need more magic education.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For? Against? Magic Books in Laymen Bookstores (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL