The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Folding Key by Joe Porper (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
italianmagi90023
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of italianmagi90023
Pete,

Is the key made similar to a folding quarter, or is it a metal gaff?

Thanks
Mike
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Similar yes, but totally different, no edge cuts, all mechanical work is inside. Jamie Schoolcraft said to Joe, "I have no idea how you could do this!"
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We're adding several ideas from some of the top guys in magic to the instruction book as we speak.
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magicday
Pete,

Any shipping date ? Thanks
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'll find out tomorrow.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I just got one of the Porper Folding Keys and must say it is an amazing prop. Way back in the 70's I ordered 35B. They had the coolest ad campaign; they didn't give you a clue as to what you were getting; only advised you it was different than anything before and a great trick. What you got was just this, a folding key and, of course, back then it was unheard of so I fooled a lot of people with it. The name "35B" came from the fact that it was engraved on the key which, I presume, was a common key in England. It was beautiful, but the big giant drawback was that the trick was for close-up and, of course, while you couldn't see the cut, you sure could see the groove and it was obvious.

Joe has completely eliminated the groove and done it in an unbelievable manner. There are no "shells" to put over the key and no inserts to fill the groove (both techniques were used with coins in an attempt to eliminate the groove...neither enjoyed much success.) With Joe's, the key is absolutely solid. The "works" is actually inside the key. I'm not sure how he did it either!

If anyone has ever bought 35B or the any of the 4 subsequent "sequels" to that, the instruction manual supplied with that trick gives several outstanding routines for a folding key. I presume Joe and Pete will create a more in-depth instruction, in fact, it even so states at the end of my sheet.

This is a wonderful prop. No, it can't be examined unless you switch it. But, the same has applied to the folding coin for decades now and it is one of the most popular tricks among magicians and audiences ever, so there is no need to complain because of a switch.

Unlike Mercedes-Bends, this one has no "busy" pattern to "overhide" the cuts. This looks like a normal American car key (I don't know what European car keys look like, but I think someone remarked that the key doesn't look like any key in England.)

If you think about it, you should be able to imagine a killer routine involving a coin, a key and a bottle. Think about it....
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for the review... just this evening finished the instructions with routining from R. Paul Wilson, Dean Dill, Dennis Marks and touches from several others. This prop is one that Joe OUTDID himself with.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just thought of combining this with the bottle thru the table or bottle vanish using Nielsen gimmick.

Lot's of possibilities.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
An interesting "puzzle" with this is one I used way back in the 70's. It's one of those things that doesn't seem to register with an audience until it's too late. Kind of like, when they think about it, they realize what they just saw was impossible.

You need a pretty cord, both keys and an opaque cloth or handkerchief, and some pockets. Hank and string in left pocket, keys in right pocket and be sure you know which is which. Bring out the legitimate key and string and have them examined. Take them both back, one in each hand, and ask for the loan of a man's ring (a lady's may be too small, so be sure to specify a man's ring.) As you do this, both hands go into the pockets to bring out the handkerchief. Left hand comes out the with the string and cord and right hand comes out with the folding key, having switched. You should all know the timing and nuances with this simple switch, which is perfect since it has not only the cover of "looking for" the handkerchief, but the misdirection of someone offering and removing a ring.

Okay, hold the key and ask a spectator to thread the cord through the keyhole. Have two spectators each hold one end of the string. Let it the key hand in the middle of the cord and then toss the handkerchief over it. Now, take the finger ring and ask the spectator on your right to let you thread the ring onto the cord. Have him hold the end again once it's on and display the ring clearly on the string.

Slowly move it to the left, under the handkerchief, through and over the folding key, out the other side of the handkerchief to the spectator on the left and ask him to let go so you can remove the ring. Whisk the cloth off and put it in your right pocket, getting the solid ring as you do and hand the ring back to the spectator. Take off the key with the left hand, then coil up the cord with both hands leaving it in the right hand and hand the contents of the right hand (string and legitimate key,) to the spectator to try.

Usually, when they thread it on, only then do they realize it is impossible to get the ring from one side to the other without somehow going through the key and by then, it's too late.

This is a great prop.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great... and ANYONE with little or no skill can do this one.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Mine is arriving today so I'll give a review when it arrives!!
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
Why the price? that's honestly the only thing stopping me...
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
All of Joe's stuff is uber pricey...
You're paying for quality...
Logic Defied
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Saw Paul Green demoing this at the IBM Convention in Reno. I thought it was pretty cool seeing the key go into the bottle. But what really sold it for me was Paul inviting people to grab the key inside the bottle and try pulling it out. No matter how hard they tugged at it, it wasn't coming out. Paul then effortlessly pulled it out like a knife through butter. This rocked me............
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jessiah... if you know how much work went into developing this item, and how much work each one takes to make, you would consider it a bargain. Read Dustman's post above.
Shane Baker
View Profile
New user
10 years and I've made a measly
79 Posts

Profile of Shane Baker
You mention early in the thread that to remove the key from the bottle with the wide end down, a large pair of tweezers might come in handy -- allow me to recommend looking for a pair of veterinarian's tweezers. I've got an ancient set about a foot long, and now there's one more use to add to the long list of fun things one can do with them.

Incidentally, it's great to see Mr. Biro going strong, inventing new and recalling forgotten bits and effects. As a youthful conjuror, my favorite column was The Reel Works and seeing him around gives me a feeling of continuity. Always loved the bit with tossing a steel egg from your over your head and through the plate held in your hands. That and "Can you find a president, a dairy product, and a movie in this dollar bill?" It was worth the doctor's bills...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for the kind words. The legs are shot but the mind is still working (part time)! Smile

The Reel Works... ah what fun that was.
rynku
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of rynku
I have this key, the sets came with two keys(one gaffed and the other one was un-gaffed)with an instruction.
all I can say is this is a work of art. the gaff is invisible.
in the performance, you will need to switch in and switch out the keys..
If you already have a folding coin, then you will be impressed by this key's mechanism. I love it.
The only problem for me, is I couldn't find a good patter for this prop.

Funny story, I bought this key because I thought this is the same key that is used by Michael close in his worker dvd (mercedez benz keys). it is not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Folding Key by Joe Porper (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL