The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks equally good for Close-up, Walk-around, and Platform (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
In another thread Jaxon made the following statement.
Quote:
On 2005-04-15 11:32, Jaxon wrote:Imagine you're performing walk around magic at a bar, restaurant or maybe a public festival of some kind. You're just there to do close up magic for small groups. All of the sudden a crowd gathers around when they see the reactions of the people you are performing for. The next thing you know the crowd is so big that if you continued to do the small close up tricks then many of the people wouldn't be able to see what you are doing. You now need to start doing a parlor type show.

Interesting topic and quite true. Often there is no strict demarcation among close-up, walk-around and small platform or stage work.

I'd like your thoughts on tricks that would work equally well in any of these three venues. My favorites would be:

Torn & Restored Napkin (sucker finish)
Professor's Nightmare
Cut and restored Rope
Ring and Rope
Linking Rings
Sidewalk Shuffle
Needle through Balloon

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I like TT and silks.

Silks pack small but unfold big so they are easily seen from a stage.
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3432 Posts

Profile of Julie
I would suggest adding the venerable Blok-Kord release to this list...clean enough for close-up yet large enough for platform work.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Card to Wallet, TT

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
The old faithful sponge balls.

Royston
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Up until very recently if called upon to do a real "stand up" routine, I would beg off..I now carry the rope for "Optic fiber", the one rope routine. This works beautifully for 1 person or 200. It takes up very little space and the reactions have been overwhelming.
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
Chop cup or the cups and balls, card to mouth in fact I think most close-up effects would adapt, its the way there performed that can turn a close-up show into a street show.

Royston
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
D'lites......don't forget the D'lites
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I use the following routines in my close-up, walk-around, and stage performances:

Invisible deck
Card on Forehead
Richard Sanders's Fiber Optics Rope Routine (by the way, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!)

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have a great version of "Bill-oon" that I do for basically all occasions.
My own presentation for Mark Jenest's trick which can be done for any size crowd.

I do Ninja Rings too. They are a bit small for a huge crowd but shoot ogawa uses them in the parlor at the castle and that's 50 or so.

I also do something based on Richard Sander's "one rope routine" from fiber optics.
Did not do a rope routine til I saw that.

Some great cards for any size: Slight of Mouth (see hobson and lovell media for these) and Lovell's "Packed Wallet". Hard to beat.
And how can you not do "Comedy card to fly".

And if you're paul daniels you can do the chop cup.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I think, one of the best openers for the mentioned situations is the Fred Kaps version of Patrik Pages *Eazy money*.

This done, AFTER removing the coloured pieces of paper out of a 'smal' firewallet.
This is important!
The use of the wallet though is limited to a few performances before a *reset* re the 'fire' is needed, so it restricts somehow the walk-around situation, but so do a lot of other routines some of the pro performers use to obtain maximum effect for their 'opener'....
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1619 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I recently had this happen at a walkaround gig. You start doing a couple of effects and then look up and realize the number of people standing around and watching YOU numbers 20 to 30 large. I finished with Torched and Restored. Everyone can see the fire!

Also, an effect like Lewis' Undivided I think can work well here. It's done right out in front you, the tearing is seen by all and the four piece display is nice.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-04-21 11:02, Kaliix wrote:
You start doing a couple of effects and then look up and realize the number of people standing around and watching YOU numbers 20 to 30 large.

I sincerely hope, you are looking up more often to communicate with your specs..it does surprise me you didn't notice the no. of specs increased..
Did you watch your own magic?, not needed, I suppose you've seen it before.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I always do Homing Card followed by a Cards Across routine. These two effects can play for several people or several hundred.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm not so sure about "tricks that would work equally well in any of these three venues" but more important to me would be to have the ability to move into tricks for larger crowds and these situations.

"Ring on Wand" various.
"Cards Up The Sleeve" Daley.
"Six Card Repeat".

I keep thinking that adding a hanky, bandana or opaque silk would be a good prop that could be used with some things mentioned here.

"Hanky Panky" Jarrow.
"Card Thru Hanky" various.
"T.V. Surprise" ?- In Tarbell.
..and I'm sure a lot of other hanky/silk uses with rings, ropes, etc.

Interacting with spectators itself can be entertaining for everyone even if they can't see everything.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
A few others that come to mind as I have thought about this same type of situation:

Pen Thru Bill
Invisible deck
Re-capped
Loop effects (depending on lighting)... floating bill, card, ring, etc
Kallix, you're right on, I agree and think Martin Lewis' "Undivided" would be great for a spontaneous crowd gathering type of effect.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1781 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Cards to pocket & some mentalism
ksalaz1
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ksalaz1
Mentalism works great for this venue. Check out Mr. Osterlinds routines. His SOS bag would be perfect for what you are saying and it doesn't take up much space.

Any Drawing dupe you would know.
Banachek has some material that is wonderful such as his PK silverware.
Cards across via Bill Malone is a good one.

Any card trick that you can throw flourishes into such as Hot shot cuts and fans.

KSalaz
"Master of the Obvious"
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1619 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You know when I wrote that Werner, I knew someone was gonna comment on it. Just to be clear, I do look up quite often. I was table hopping/walking around in the dining hall of a private high school. I was working for like 8 to 10 at this one table and was performing color monte (with straight up cards, I don't care for the diamonds). Well this particular effect has you looking at the cards more because the action happens rapidly. When I'm done, all of a sudden, close to thirty people are now grouped around. In that kind of setting, the crowd can grow that large inside of ten seconds, with all the students in and out.

It actually surprised me when I looked around and realized how fast the crowd grew!

Quote:
On 2005-04-21 11:21, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-04-21 11:02, Kaliix wrote:
You start doing a couple of effects and then look up and realize the number of people standing around and watching YOU numbers 20 to 30 large.

I sincerely hope, you are looking up more often to communicate with your specs..it does surprise me you didn't notice the no. of specs increased..
Did you watch your own magic?, not needed, I suppose you've seen it before.. Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Areally fun Effect by Kevin James called Animated card through balloon of death works well in all venues it has audience participation works completly surounded and is an inspectable illusion try it.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks equally good for Close-up, Walk-around, and Platform (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL