The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No fear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I have just come off the phone from talking to my brother, he said that whenever he performs his close up there are certain types of people that he looks to avoid.

Are you the same?

Or supposing you see a 400lb chap with several dozen piercings and black eye shadow?

Do you approach him?

Obiously it depends if you have been hired for an event or not.

But let’s suppose for this situation that you are not being paid.

What would you do?

No fear?

Gonz.

"All the world’s a cookie jar,

The people merely crumbs.

I happen to be one of the chocolate chips"

-Garfield
Hello.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Whether I was performing or not, I think I would tend to avoid a 400-pound guy, with several dozen piercings and black eye shadow! Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
And are we performing in prison? Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
When I perform close-up I tend to avoid couples. For some reason I found out that the men in the relationship, not all, but a lot of the time will do anything to avoid being "shown-up" in front of their date. Lying about the card they selected, grabbing at props, and overall rudeness convinced me to stop performing for them.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Gonzolo!

It’s funny, but sometimes people have really surprised me! I’ve done magic for people that from all outside apprearances seemed very intimidating, but proved me wrong for some reason or another!

I worked group homes years ago, and some of my best spectators were those kids that had the, "toughest" type reputation; yet they were the greatest pleasure to perform for! Maybe they were not used to others approaching them, so when someone finally does they’re given the opportunity to sort of open up a little! I’ve been proved wrong many times! More often, it’s proved to me that I was a jerk for judging them in the first place! Anyway, I think for the most part, people take it as a compliment when a magician approaches them! Makes em’ feel loved!

Just my two cents! Smile

Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Good Point Steve Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5773 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:

JaymesR wrote:

When I perform close-up I tend to avoid couples. For some reason I found out that the men in the relationship, not all, but a lot of the time will do anything to avoid being "shown-up" in front of their date.

Jaymes,

When you approach a couple, ah heck, when you do any magic close up, you should be sharing, not challenging. Think about the way you present your magic. That is what creates the challenge.

As for counteracting the challenge, it is very difficult to be comedically fun and light with challenge type magic. A tough role to be proficient at.

If your goal as a performer is not to trick your audience, then the challenge is removed. You could be sharing the marvels of the world around us. You could be highlighting the folks in your audience, making them the stars. You will still get the credit for the "entertainment" and your audience will love you for it.

Present something people can enjoy the wonders of each other in rather than the wonders of you. That is the real magic.

The biggest stars are those who know the boundless rewards of sharing the spotlight.

Tom Cutts

Publisher, AM/PM

About Magic...Performing Magic
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Excellent advice, Tom.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Great advice Tom!
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
My two pennyworth (cents to you guys) on this side, I can’t remember who said it but I’ve found it a terrific help when performing for couples or 400 pound guys.

It is, people don’t mind being fooled by a gentleman! Smile
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
"People don't mind being fooled by a gentleman." Nate Leipzig to Dai Vernon.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
I know when I first started working at the magic shop in Florida I avoided demoing for certain people because of how they looked I believed they would either not be interested or just give me a hard time. One day my boss told me to demo for everyone because you never know what you might miss. Well oddly enough alot of the types of people I avoided ended up being decent customers. Basically I now perform for everyone with the simple philosophy that I can’t judge them by their outer appearance, and if they’re trouble I just apologize for taking up their time and move on. I know the way I dress sometimes people veer away from me and I have even had security follow me a few times, it sucks to be judged by your outer apperance. In my opinion give everyone a fair shot.

What do you really have to lose? Smile

Yours In Magic

Mike
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
If you are new to Magic check out my article
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462185&forum=41
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mike asks: "What do you really have to lose?"

How about body parts? Smile

Seriously, I was waiting for someone to come up with the line that "you can't judge a book by its cover."

Well, no. But you can pretty well tell it's a book!

There's another old saying:

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, then chances are it's a duck.

In other words, if you want respect (or anything else) you have to give it.

And, like it or not, people judge how much respect you have for yourself by what you look like (or, at least, those things over which you have control).

You don't have to wear designer clothes but you do have to wear clean clothes, for example.

If your appearance is such that you say you are "making a statement", then don't be surprised when people accept that -- and "make a statement" right back.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:

On 2001-12-19 19:39, Gonzolo the mediocre wrote:

Supposing you see a 400lb chap with several dozen peircings and black eye shadow?

Do you approach him?

No fear?

Gonz.

I would really prefer that you didn’t talk about my Dad!

Smile

But seriously, being that I make small children cry & women clutch their purses in fear, I always love proving people wrong.

Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

Ichazod@hotmail.com
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1397 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
But... Ichazod, little doggie's love you!

:lol: Smile Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Smile

Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
I don't judge anyone by their appearance and you shouldn't either. People transform when you do good magic no matter what they look like. Some of the best reactions can come from the most unexpected sources.

However, when not being paid, I wouldn't approach ANY stranger to perform. How many other occupations would do their work for free? It's my living, I need to eat, it's dumb doing free shows.

Don't forget, Blaine may entertain people in the street at no cost to them, but he is being paid - for the TV show!!!! Smile:)
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I have a simple philosophy. Hit every table.

As soon as you start picking and choosing based on your assumptions and past experiences you are vastly cutting down your audience.

As others have said, very often, the most unlikely looking people will be great audiences. One of my best audiences ever was a football team out on an end of season booze up. As soon as the team captain started to shuffle the invisible deck, the rest of the team (and him as well,) were laughing. As soon as the chosen card was revealed, and they realised they hadn't got a clue, they were amazed and really Into it. Great Audience, but i was initially worried before I approached, but finished up with all of us having a great Time. Of course. had they been Drunken A**holes, I would have done one effect and gone on to the next lot. I might be crazy, but I'm not Stupid!

Re couples. Make the guy the centre of attention very early on. I usually start with Invisible deck, and my closing line is, "Don't clap me, that only works because of Mike's great Imagination." That by the way, is said sincerely. If Mike doesn't play along with the shuffling etc at the start, the trick goes nowhere. So when I thank him, I mean it! After being the centre of attention in the first effect, he is far less likely to mind if his date helps with the next effect, and so on.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:

On 2001-12-23 08:17, Paul Hallas wrote:

I don't judge anyone by their appearance and you shouldn't either.

[...]

However, when not being paid, I wouldn't approach ANY stranger to perform. How many other occupations would do their work for free? It's my living, I need to eat, it's dumb doing free shows.

You don't judge ANYONE by their appearance?

It's easy to say that; I would love to be able to say it, and indeed I could.

But I would be lying.

You look at a man with an uzi in his belt and a knife in his teeth in the same way you look at a 10-year-old school boy carrying his books home?

Your a far better man than I.

I do not believe it's "dumb" doing free shows.

I do them all the time because I ENJOY MAGIC.

I'm not going to NOT perform an effect for someone just because I won't get any money out of it.

A good reaction or a "moment of astonishment" is payment enough for me.

You have a talent.

One that most people enjoy seeing.

In my opinion it is a bad thing not to share it simply because no one is going to pay you.

Gonz
Hello.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1630 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Ok, just a bit of simple logic here. If you encounter a 400 lb. guy who looks like he can slap you back to your homeland, chances are he's an ok guy. Why you ask? More than likely he was always the biggest guy around so he never had a chip on his shoulders. He's probably loving life because nobody messes with him. Therefore he has nothing to be cranky about.

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No fear (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL