The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » TOXIC? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
Hello guys,
I own a chicken paw since several years now (covered with some black wax?) I got it as a present from a strange girl who bought it in a voodoo shop in New Orleans.
Since it is dangling from my mirror in my car since years - throughout all seasons - it went a bit "sticky" - do you think/know if such a thing can get toxic?
weird question - I know.
the paranoid chicken wing...

best,
T
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
If it wasn't preserved right it could rot, but that's it. I could be wrong.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
You're not planning on eating it are you ;-)

I'd worry about infestation. Is it "sticky" because little creepy crawly things are crawling around in it to help its natural decomposition process? Did it have any kind or urithane, oil, or other protective coating on it (the wax, maybe)?

My nutria paws have held up pretty well, but I do know of people who have had to get taxidermy specimens de-bugged after an infestation.

Chris
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If anything were to "grow" on it, as long as you do not go about eating it (this means wash your hands after handling it) you should be okay. One way to check for insects is to use some paper, opposite color of the thing, and some wide clear sticky tape. Set it on the paper overnight and look closely wtih a magnifier. if things are moving, you might have bugs, if there is a powder or other debris, then you might have bugs, or you might have fungus/bacteria, etc. We used to put things into a box with a few mothballs for a week or so and then air them out to get rid of small insects.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
willem
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of willem
If that paw starts to move I would get worried
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
If the paw starts to move take it on tour...

seriously, should be fine... the sticky may be from temp change and the aging wax.
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Sorry, I meant "urethane" and not "urithane." If there is a such thing, I am sure that it does the exact opposite of "urethane" as far as preserving a prop.

Chris
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
Smile Thanks guys..

Best,
T
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » TOXIC? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL