The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians' Vests (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jason Cardwell
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jason Cardwell
I saw vests offered at Daytonamagic.com with lots of pockets for storing all your walk-around stuff. Anybody use one of these? Recommend them or something else?
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
I think that if you use the vest and fill the pockets that you may run the risk of looking quite silly, but that is just my personal thought on it. I was given one by a friend a few years back that I have never used if you are interested in it I will sell it to you at half of whatever Daytona was selling it at but I think that you may just want to save your money.

Just using good pocket management and limiting the number of tricks that you actually carry with you in my mind is best but I have been accused of being a minimalists so who knows.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A vest is a good idea but, make sure it is nice looking not dopey. You want to be well dressed to fit the occasion.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I have one of the Daytona vests. I use it when I work on the street. I wouldn't use this for corporate or restaurant gigs. On the street though, it is colorful enough and sets me apart from just "some guy" on the street.

It has a ton of pockets, but I don't use many of them. I mostly use my pants pockets. I think the vest has something like 14 pockets, there's no way I have all of them occupied. The vest is a bit flashy and silly, and certainly won't match everyone's personality. For me, it's just fine.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
What is the link?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Actually the vest that I have is nothing like any of the ones that are on the Daytona Magic site. It is a suede leather vest with a ton of pockets in it. I am still offering it up for anyone who may be interested. PM me and let me know.
Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I don't much care for those patterns. The Raymond vest is not bad if you wear it under a coat. I too have the one with 72 pockets. It is in a box, I have never used it. I like the Klamm pockets that go in to jacket pocket.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You can get a nice vest from a tux shop and usually at a great price.
vest and bow tie for about $40 or less.

I think a nice one is a great idea. Keeps you cooler than wearing a jacket but you still look professional. I wear one most of the time. I have a couple.

You can also get tux shirts to go with the vest pretty cheap too if you don't mind just getting older rental shirts. about $10 each and they look perfectly new. I got a used rental tux with shoes etc for $150 or so just in case I needed one. have not used it yet. Look for Sales.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I went to the local "Savers" store (used and vintage clothing, etc...) and paid a whopping $4 for mine! Black satin with a silver herringbone weave on the front.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 14:53, Frank Starsini wrote:
You can get a nice vest from a tux shop and usually at a great price. Vest and bow tie for about $40 or less.

I think a nice one is a great idea. Keeps you cooler than wearing a jacket but you still look professional. I wear one most of the time. I have a couple.

You can also get tux shirts to go with the vest pretty cheap too if you don't mind just getting older rental shirts. about $10 each and they look perfectly new. I got a used rental tux with shoes etc for $150 or so just in case I needed one. have not used it yet. Look for Sales.

What Tux Shops are you shopping at? A good vest with a back on it will run you from about $65 on up to over $225 from a retail/ rental tux store. I am sure that you can get them for less but most of the time you are looking at a low quality front only vest at that price.

If you are going to invest in your wardrobe save your money and buy quality you will be much better off in the long run. If the front only vest is all that you can afford and you absolutely need it for something sure go ahead and get it but if you can hold off at all save your money from a show or two and get a good one your clients will be able to tell the difference.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I bought a vest from Daytona and really like it for kid shows. It sets you apart without having to don a whole clown outfit and face make-up! I wouldn't wear it in just any setting.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I've described my duster (some people call them Drover). Well, here's a picture of one like the one I wear.

http://www.sheplers.com/item.cfm?TID=022......stsearch

This is NOT a magic item and the price reflects it. It's very inexpensie for a coat. Look closely at the pockets. The model has his hands going in the pockets from the rear. Look at his thumbs. They are right on top of the opening of a second pocket that is right on top of the first! That's right DOUBLE pockets. Each of the pockets are MASSIVE. I can put my standard size cups and balls comfortably in a pocket. I can show the spectator that I drop a ball in my pocket, putting it in the rear pocket, and, if I wait a few moments, show them that the pocket is empty by having them look into the TOP pocket. At first I thought this was too obvious, too flamboyant, but nobody has EVER caught me at it. Wait a few more seconds and you can produce the ball from that pocket.

Even worse - I cut a small hole in the top pocket so that I can shove things from one pocket to the other!

I keep my 5" linking rings in one pocket.

I keep my cups and balls in another

I keep sponge balls in two of the inner pockets (one in the left, three in the right, that's how I start my routine).

I keep my mini chop cup with final load in another pocket.

But wait, there's more! I bought the pattern for Ammar's Topit and put one on either side! A slit ABOVE the two pockets and I can reach directly into my topit! THREE pockets on top of each other!

But wait, there's more! See how long and bulky the jacket is? I hold three ball holders for my cups and balls AND a holder for my three color changing knives - all inside the jacket.

I have a raven permanently attached up the right sleeve.

I have a BIG thread reel attached just inside the left breast, one that holds about 30 feet of thread.

And last, but not least, I have my SAM pin on the collar.

When I slip this coat on I am loaded for bear. I'm pretty much ready to put on a half hour show at any time!

Plus the coat is oilskin so it's a great rain coat - and, while it's not really great for keeping you warm in really cold weather, it's big enough that I can wear my leather bomber jacket under it - which gives me 3 more pockets.

Put on your Stetson, your silver belt buckle, your hand made Lucchese boots, and well, you'll look like me!

You'll have to beat the chicks off with a stick.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Rikbrookes, that duster is great. Is that the one you use for the "vanishing elephant" too?
Wait, there is more... Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-04-23 09:26, rikbrooks wrote:
I've described my duster (some people call them Drover). Well, here's a picture of one like the one I wear.

http://www.sheplers.com/item.cfm?TID=022......stsearch

And at what point in your shows do you usually pass out!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Well, the duster really isn't nearly as hot as it looks. It's no hotter than a normal suit jacket.

It is HEAVY howver. It probably weighs 5 pounds by itself and after I've added all the stuff it's close to 10.

By the way, I have DreamWeaver somewhere in one of the pockets but was doing a sudden show at Appleby's and lost it! So many pockets that I had no idea where it was. I started turning out my pockets and found that second final load eyeball that I use for my mini chop cup.

(sigh)

DreamWeaver is in there somewhere.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Rikbrooks have you ever thought of using your coat for productions kind of like the Chinese conjurers used to do? I'm sure you could find a way to produce an elephant for Werner; as long as it was only 2 feet tall.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Well, apparently I look like a "dopey idiot" according to some on this thread because I have a Daytona vest, in dark blue with white doves on it. It has about a half dozen pockets.
I also wear one of about six other vests that I have, each designed especially for me and my magic. (And, no doubt, to look like a "dopey idiot!.)
There are several reasons for the vests:
1: They make me stand out from the crowd.
2: They have plenty of pockets for an evening of closeup (so I don't have to keep running to the bethroom or kitchen to get something else.)
3: They are cool and comfortable.
4: Not a single client has thought that I look like a "dopey idiot" (and they arethe ones that are paying me, not anyone on this board!)
Glad I was successful BEFORE I found out that I looked like a "dopey idiot"!!!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
For some certain things work and for other's certain things don't. As long as you look presentable for yourself and the rest of us that perform you can wear what you want. (Sorry guys, no t-shirts and flip flops for this guy unless your beach combing)

The "dopey idiot" look is in the eye of the beholder; some thought that Mr. Roger's was a "Dopey Idiot" but his sweater and personality was a trademark of his for years and it made him wealthy. If I have to be a “dopey idiot” to be successful and remembered then by all means sign me up.

Dopey or not people will remember you if you stand out from the rest of the pack, it’s one of the key’s to success. Try to remember that our individual opinion on something might not be the same as the opinion of the majority of the public.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
$75 for a vest in an UTTERLY corny design? Just get a vest at Wal-Mart, and add the pockets yourself as needed! I suppose the designs would be fine for a CHILDREN'S performer, so if you're table-hopping at Chuck E. Cheese, disregard the opening line.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians' Vests (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL