The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians' Vests (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Peter,
I did see the word Dopey and the word idiot but not in the same post or even from the same people talking about the same thing. If you are happy wearing that vest than happy days to you my friend.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 01:21, rezamalek wrote:
If you wear one of those vests you will not only look like any idiot but people will think you are one as well. Do yourself a favor and don't make yourself look any stupider than people assume magicians already are. Do your part to take magic out of the hands of the socially retarded.

Ok, so maybe he was a little blunt. Probably also could be considered flaming. But he does make a good point.

EXCEPT for doing kid show (if it suits your character), these material designs are pretty tacky. Magic COULD be classy and sophisicated but if people keep wearing this stuff magicians will always be treated like a bit of a joke.

Its not the wacky designs but the fact that the designs SCREAM "look at me! I am a magician! I need a vest that says it!"
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
993 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
May I suggest an entirely different kind of magician's vest? One that is worn on the inside and not intended to be seen. I recommend and use a Steve Dusheck dove vest inside my jacket for walk-around corporate strolling. Mine has three or four pockets on each side where you can store your close-up inventory. The big advantage is that since it is not part of your jacket, the weight of your props won't pull on your jacket or make you pockets sag prematurely. The new ones being sold actually have pockets on one side and a topit on the other. Take a look at http://www.tannens.com/cart/cat253.html

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
At 25 bucks that appears to be a good deal. I love having a topit hanging around when I could use one. My blazers with topits installed (or otherwise) are a bit warm at times. How well does the topit function? I prefer the Ammar pattern topit. Does the vest topit function well for the waist level ditches and throws? Most vests I have worn don't hang very low. But then again as long as there is a topit opening in the right spot the depth of the pocket isn't too big of a deal(except for the occasional bottle production). Does the vest come in other colors?
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
993 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Bill,

I cannot address your questions because my Dusheck vest has pockets on both sides...no topit. Sorry.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Extra pockets arouse suspicions and lead to theories.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:
On 2005-05-11 12:12, bsears wrote:
Extra pockets arouse suspicions and lead to theories.

Our being magicians arouses suspicions and leads to theories.

How about a nice coat? Avoid the daytona vest. It does look dopey. You approach someone doing walk-around wearing a vest like that, they avoid your eyes. The idea for a tux vest is a good one as well. Check ebay if price is an issue.
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
I have one that is black linen, 30 seamless pockets custom designed to hold decks ( more or less hidden) coins, TT and even has special pockets on both side to hohd your ITR. It was about $100.00 from bobjamesmagic.com. It works nicely under a sportcoat, keeps everything organized and is tastefully done, not gauche. I feel it was an excellent pocket management investment.
Joe
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
I too, must be a “stupid idiot.”
I use a photojournalists vest that I have worn for 30 odd years. As my other occupation was a photographer, it has always seems normal to me.

How surprised I am to here (rezamalek) say:
Quote:
Do yourself a favor and don't make yourself look any stupider than people assume magicians already are. Do your part to take magic out of the hands of the socially retarded.

No doubt he feels that all the people on this thread that have chosen to wear vest of some kind are “socially retarded” and “stupid idiot”.

You would wonder why he has chosen (if he has) to associate himself with such a group.

What would be more expected than a magician with things in his pockets, Daa.

Bob
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Hahaha! That's funny. Who's more stupid--the fool or the man who chooses to associate with the fool?

Vests can be a useful and good-looking part of a professional act, and they don't have to cost very much. You can buy great vests at Tux shops. They often sell of their used merchandise. This merchandise has been well taken care of, and well-maintained. $40 will get you a very nice vest and bowtie. A seamstress can put pockets in very easily, and you've got yourself a nice vest! The Black Tie factory outlet in Washington is a great resource, they sell all kinds of accessories and their selection is huge! Good luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians' Vests (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL