The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tommy Wonder Recalcitrant - flap card construction? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Does anyone out there know how to go about making a changing flap card (for use in Tommy Wonder's Recalcitrant deck)? One that will sit flush with the deck when flipped on either side? The problem with merely folding a card over and rubber cementing it to the other is that the un-glued half of the card sticks up. I have tried splitting the cards and re-glueing them so that each part of the gimmick is the same thickness (three card layers), but have not found success. If anyone out there can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I would talk to Gary Plants about it instead of making it yourself.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
It's in the free boklett acompaning his lecture notes
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thanks. Do you mean Gary Plants' booklet? --- Also, to clarify, this is for a card that simply, when one half is folded over, appears to be a different card, correct? Manually operated, nothing particularly fancy?
Thanks.

Posted: Apr 22, 2005 2:41am
PS - I have The Art of Card Splitting Video, which shows the construction of the acrobatic cards. Is this the same as Gary Plant's method for the flap card?
Thanks again.
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
Acrobatic cards just cause the cards to jump a bit. I believe that this thread is about the type of card that can be shown, and then will flap over to show another card. The acrobatic cards cannot be shown before hand, and do not cause a change. If anyone has any ideas about where to find instructions on making this sort of thing, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, information on where or how to contact Gary Plant would be great. Thanks.

Chris Toomey
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
He also makes the acrobatic card box in Greg Wilson's Pyrotechnic Pasteboard's

http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?read=475
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

This is an old thread, but perhaps there is someone out there with insight on how to make this? Thanks!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Trial and error. in the books he mentioned it was strictly a stage piece. keeping that in mind, theres your fix and answer right there...
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thanks, Nick. Well the issue is that you need the flap to stay put in whatever position you set it, otherwise it will start to move and flash when doing fans, etc. I think this piece will need to be made professionally and Gary Plants is interested in that portion only.

I'm now looking for a lead on who might be a good person to go to to have the rest of the unit created. Any ideas, folks?
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
I made one of these a while ago. Let me see if I can put some pics up. My personal opinion is that the flap should have a bit of spring when it's open showing a card. This great aids the one handed fan to box change. And yes, it's VERY important to remember it's a stage piece, this does not look convincing close-up.

-Leo
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thanks, Leo. Would love to see your work on it. (And yes, it's stage. You guys made me glance up to the thread to see if I had accidentally posted this in The Workers forum or something LOL)
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
It's not letting me post pics. ARGHHH!!!

-Leo
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Then don't post any!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If this topis is about The Acrobatic Card as it is called, from the 1970's. It was very popular around the world.

If you want to make one, I suggest you invest in Marc DeSouza Master Works Volume 1 DVD. He makes the card on video right in front of you.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2638

After you have made the card, why not find out all the things you can do with this magician's weapon. The late great Ed Marlo wrote a booklet on the Acrobatic Card, with a number of magic tricks you can perform.

http://www.magicinc.net/acrobaticcards.aspx

If you find the task beyond your ability, do to buying a paper cutter, and finding the exact center of a playing card, and then finding out you only have 10 fingers and need some extra fingers. Why not just buy the version you need. Yes, the Acrobatic Card is made in changing card, double face card. The true Acrobatic Card was designed by length, not width. Width was another version before the Acrobatic Card was invented.

http://www.magicinc.net/acrobaticcard.aspx
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Nice to hear from you Bill! How have you been?

I don't think this is the same as the Acrobatic Card. It's simpler.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Chris, this sorta thing caught my eye a while back and I came across this…Outta the mouth of babes. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcl-uCFJI8E

Hope it helps some. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I too am very interested in something like this. I am unfamiler with the effect that is being talked about, But I have always been on the search for making a card gaff that you can show one face, fold it up, and when its unfolded show another one. A card face and a back, so that when its folded you can see the back and it looks like one single card.

To the OP. If I think I understand what your doing, Of if anyone else is having this sort of problem, What about splitting the card, and inserting 2 very thin disk type magnets? So that when it is flapped over, the tension of the card does not make it spring back up, but instead the magnets will make it snap together and stay.

If someone knows a card gaff in existence where you can show 1 face, fold it up into quarters (And they see the back on the outside) and then when it get unfolded, you see a 2nd face, no switches or anything, it has to be self-contained and the same card.

I have this really cool idea for a transpo that is done in a spectators hand that I could do strolling and a gimmick like this would be perfect to accomplish the effect.

Ill be following this thread.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Nobody else has replied?

If I remember correctly, doesn't Derrick and Helder use a gimmick like this in a show they did a while back? I think it was a card under a wine glass, and it was folded up, (It was a red card), they had someone select a card from a blue backed deck, and then after the selection was shown, they directed everyones attention to the card under the glass, they removed it, slowly unfolded it, and then showed the audience that it matched the selection, then they SLOWLY and CLEARLY folded it up and placed it back under the wine glass, had someone select a 2nd card from the blue deck, and then again pointed at the wine glass, removed the same card again, slowly unfolded it, and it had then changed into the 2nd selection.

I was pretty sure back then that they had used some sort of gimmick that would work along the lines of what the OP was asking for. Unless my guess is wrong and it was really just a simple switch. Who knows though, it was amazing either way.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Whoa, not sure where this thread went over the past year, but the effect is not a close up effect and nothing like what you guys are describing near the end of this chain. Not to discount your individual topics of interest (in fact, you should probably go to the Secret Sessions to discuss this stuff, in the context of close up, as you might get some help there for what you're looking for).

But my question was in regards specifically to Tommy Wonder's Recalcitrant from The Books of Wonder. If you don't have those books, I can understand why some folks weren't clear what I was asking for. FYI, Gary is not interested in making this up.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I no longer have the Wonder books, so I don't recognize the name given. No flap card will not show the division. That is something most magician cannot get over, therefore they do not use them. It is when they are seen by someone like Tommy Wonder, and are fooled that they finally see the value in using them. But still they never use them because they feel guilty and they are not fooled when on top looking at the gaff.

I have bought many types of flap cards in my life, and the only one that ever fooled anyone close-up was the one I purchased from Ken Brooke, it was a card change under a hat. So in the end they were looking at a normal card, because of the delayed flip over.

Other types, have to be held at an angle, so the card is looked at from the set position. The eyes combine the two halves and the ledge cannot be seen when using a court card.

Is this the trick with the metal angle pieces glued onto edges of the cards? He usually describes how to make the gaffs. The only way you can make a card without a ledge is by making a thicker card, adding another half to the side the card falls on, but you will still see the cut line. Then it will get worse with use. For it to say in position, you have to make the hinge out of elastic, like dental dame or a condom. The force of the spring hinge holds the card flap down. If I had the books still, I could comment further, but I don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tommy Wonder Recalcitrant - flap card construction? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL