The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Source for over the phone impromptu magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Anyone with some cool impromptu telephone effects, or a place to find them?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
GraemeCraig
View Profile
New user
Canada
27 Posts

Profile of GraemeCraig
Banachek has a great phone effect called Number Reversal on his PSI Series, Volume 2 DVD.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, it is completely impromptu and can be repeated.
Graeme-
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yikes! I think that I sold that one. I still have number 3, but that doesn't help. Maybe it was number one that I had since I don't remember any phone tricks..... Was it the one with his version of Bank Night? I took notes on that one.
Thanks,
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Check out Magic For Dummies', The Telephone Trick I & II.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
GraemeCraig
View Profile
New user
Canada
27 Posts

Profile of GraemeCraig
On Volume 1 there's an effect similar to that called Lorayne's Buck, so you must be thinking of number 1. If you don't want to pick up Volume 2 there's always kool little math tricks or the ever popular elephants in denmark effect. If you want any more info on Volume 2 just ask Smile
Graeme-
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Hey King another grat effect is By Greg Wilson its called 411 you can find it in The Art of astonishment set Paul Harris Vol.3 special friends.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Bob Koehler magic has a DVD with two effects: Prime cut and Phone. Phone is very easy over the phone card effect.
Aldo Colombini has a trick using practically the same method in his Impromptu Card magic series.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I think Slim answered his own question in the past 2 years Smile

Mike
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Heard Slims was the best!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Below is a trick I invented which I believe is the best phone trick ever. If you like it, let me know. Its also published in my book 'Body Tricks', which can be purchased of my website or from Lybrary.com.

Stephen Ablett

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Perfect Telephone Trick

Okay, I devised this trick several months ago and quite frankly it is the best trick in the entire book. No-nonsense mind-reading. No pen or paper needed. No psychological forces that sometimes don’t work; Clean, precise and idiot proof.

I perform the effect all the time, when my hands are busy balloon modelling, or when I need a quick trick to do.
The only time it has ever not worked, was when I performed it for my sister who simply didn’t listen to what I was saying (she had seen a thousand tricks before, and knew I was doing a mind-reading stunt). But other than that one occasionally; it has always worked. I’ve done it to magicians, lay people, and yes, people over the telephone!!!
Its practically perfect. USE IT!!!

Effect:
You call out a list of ten or more objects, and ask the spectator to think of one of them.
You then look deep into their mind and grab the image of that object and amazingly you are able to tell them exactly what they are thinking off.

Performance:
List these ten items to the listener:

1. Coin
2. Hat
3. Wand
4. Coat
5. Book
6. Key
7. Spoon
8. Cup
9. Cuddly Rabbit
10. and Dice

Now ask them to picture one of those objects in their mind. Tell them to focus on it clearly. See it in their mind’s eye…
You are now going to try and look into their mind and see what they are thinking off.

Tell them you sense some fur in this object. Ask if you are right?

If they say ‘Yes’, continue and announce that they are thinking of the Rabbit.

If they say ‘No’, continue by saying your sure its fury you can see it… dangling from a car like a furry dice. They are thinking of the Dice!

Secret:
There are several parts that make this illusion work. The first is control, you never tell the audience what you are about to do, and only once they have heard the list of ten objects do you tell them to think of one.
Because there were ten items, and you bombarded them with all ten items one-after another, there brain will be slightly confused over what you just said. Memory can only recall so much, and most brains only have two slots of memory, which means they will only remember the last two objects in the list.

Because you asked them to think of one of the object after you had said the items, you know that they will have chosen one of the last two objects, because that is all they can remember.

Now the next step comes from trying to make one object more subject-able to being chosen than the other.
If the spectator was to choose the last object, the effect would still work, but not be as strong as if they had chose an object in the middle of the list. Therefore we are going to make one object stand out more than the rest.

The ninth object is the perfect choice, since it falls into the two-slot memory pattern. I choose the word ‘Cuddly Rabbit’ for several reasons.
1. It has four pro-nouns (Maybe even five depending on how you say it). This takes longer to say and therefore separates it from the other objects in the list. It also means more time has passed since the other objects were said, and pushes them further out from recollection.

Because this is also the ONLY living object, it stands out as being slightly different, and to top it all off, we add the word Cuddly to it, as that is an associated emotion word that makes it appeal to more people. Together, they make that object a more subject-able choice.

The last object (Dice) will still be chosen 30% of the time, due to people having awful memories, or simply not listening properly to the list. Therefore we have to ask one question before we can make our prediction.

The first eight objects are all short, single pro-noun’d words, which are dull ordinary objects. This makes them less interesting and therefore unlikely choices to be chosen.

At this point, you tell the spectator to think of one of those items. You want to buy time now, and make them forget where in that list it actually was. You tell them to visualize the item, place it on a pedestal in their mind and rotate it.
Remind them that they could have chosen any of the ten items mentioned, and that they had a completely free choice.

The longer you can delay the revelation, the better the effect. Since they can’t recall the items position, or the alternative selections that were available.

When ready to reveal the item, you are going to start by saying ‘I sense some fur in the object…’

If you look at the spectator, you will see in their reaction if they are thinking of the rabbit. They automatically assume you are talking about the rabbit and often smile with this statement.
If they don’t smile, then there is a good chance they are thinking of the dice. But personally I like to be sure and ask them to say if you are along the right lines.

If they say yes, then continue and reveal the rabbit.
If they say no, they you continue by saying ‘I definitely see fur on this object. Its dangling form a car, like a furry dice. DICE – Your thinking of the dice!

The question about fur can relate to both items but is specific to rabbit until YOU make the link. Because you have stuck with the fur line of questioning, you have turned their negative ‘No’, into a positive ‘YES’, you made them think they were wrong and you were right all along!!!

Therefore, the listener thinks of an object, and you tell them what they are thinking!!!

Variations
I have a few of these lists made out, with different objects / animals at the end, all with a relationship for the last two objects.
Therefore when I’m asked to repeat the effect for different people, they will each choose a different word. Currently I’m using Grizzly Tiger and hat.

It can also be performed on the street, and I often do the trick while my hands are occupied doing balloon modelling. I’ll be doing this trick simultaneously.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Stephen

Thanks for your generosity in sharing this effect. The psychology makes sense. I am going to try it on my wife when she gets home.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
What if they pick something other than the Dice or Rabbit?
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Only once has someone chosen something else, and that was my sister who knew I was doing a mental trick, and simply choose the first thing I said because she stopped listening after that.
But every other time, they have chosen one of the last two objects.

If someone did choose another object, then I would ask what they were thinking off, and then say 'I knew you were thinking of that!'

Steve
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I will see if this works for me. What do you do if they ask to hear the list again?
Thanks so much. What is the WOW factor you've noticed from the listener so far?
I like the body magic video too Smile
antonio2030
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of antonio2030
Ku7uk3 thnx for the trick, seems great, the only but that I have is... do you think still works in spanish? I'm from mexico so, I don´t really know if its gonna work, specially for the pronunciation thing of the "cuddly rabbit" stuff, other than that great effect, very logical yet not obvious, well done!
congrats!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here is my "New" one (Been working on it for years) Smile
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......15&1
It was performed for many Café members in the developemental stages. Smile
MarkHerrick
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of MarkHerrick
Ku7uk3,
Thanks for a fantastic and very detailed explanation of this.

I would be really interested to hear how people got on trying this out.

troppobob,
Is your wife home yet ?

Mark
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Stephen,
Wow, that is great! Thank you for sharing!! I'll be sure to check out your other writings, too...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Thank you Mr. Ablett,

I will definitely have to try this and see if I can score close to 100%.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Glad you all enjoy the trick.

One of the things I realized is that when you list the ten items, you have to do it in one smooth sentence. If you pause in-between words to try and remember what the next word is, it can break the effect to a point that they might remember the next word you say after the break.
So when you do the trick, have the list written down so you can just read it out, until you have memorized it perfectly.

Stephen Ablett
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Source for over the phone impromptu magic (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL