The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with a mouse, cursor jumping around.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Anyone good at computers in here?

I recenctly bought a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse (I don't want some expensive stuff with 350 buttons on it..) So that's what I got.

When I start my computer, it works just the way I want it to for a few hours, then when I hold the mouse still, the cursor "shakes" a bit on the screen, and its a little difficult to maneuver in some directions.

also like 4-5 times each hour it goes wild and runs around all over the screen, this indeed gets annoying in Shooting games I play, like Soldat.

I tried to find a support email to Microsoft with no luck at all, so I thought I'd see in here if any of you people have experienced it or just have a solution, I would appreciate help. ^^

Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Hmm. I have had the same problem but I don't really remember the fix.

The first time it happened it was so out of control that I thought I was being hacked and somebody was taking control of my mouse!

The first things to try would be cleaning your mouse and reinstalling the drivers. If that doesn't help, report back and I'll try to think what to try next.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
It didn't come with any drivers really, I read a little on Microsoft about other mice but I think it may apply to this one as well, it was regarding the same topic, mouse jumping around like it had gotten insane.

They wrote that drivers of your old mouse might be installed and that those didn't apply to this one, but as this didn't come with any drivers at all, I am not sure what to install/uninstall to be honest..

To clean this one, it said in the manual the obly thing to do is to wipe off the "lens" of where the light comes from, I did that but still no help.

Maybe this mouse gets "exhausted" or something as it works well for the first hours but then goes nuts, I don't know really... I am not a big fan of restarting my computer 5-6 times a day either...
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Upgrade to the latest drivers from the microsoft website. And if you are using USB, I recommend using the USB to PS2 adapter...if you don't have one, buy one.. geeks.com
The Presitidigitationist
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Yeah Justin, I did before, but it got insane there so I switched to USB.

I will try microsoft once more and look for some drivers.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Nah, there were only 3 downloads there on drivers, only one were for my mouse :/
None reading this working for MS or possible have any contact information? I have a hard time finding some Email adress for customer help regarding products, I have trouble finding any of all, for that matter...
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I dunno then really. I use an MX1000 cordless laser mouse and PS2 never jumps but the PS2 port on my mobo is broke now so I have to use USB...it jumps around alittle.
The Presitidigitationist
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
This could be something really simple:

1: What surface are you using your mouse on? Some surfaces have problems with optical mouse that make the drivers unable to calculate motion.

2: Could someone be pranking you? check out

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/entertainment/dirty/

There are plenty of programs that could run in the background, and after a couple hours start making your mouse act up...

Just a thought.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Daegs, I thought about the first thing first, the funny thing is, if I switch mouse mat when the mouse has gotten nuts, its all normal working well again, but after a few h it gets nuts again. Smile But I use a mouse mat and they calculate the motion well, they even did on a white paper. Smile

2. Nah, I doubt it actually, I am careful about running programs and I check which programs are running in the bg and all often, and I use process library to see what something is that I don't recognize from before.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
It's the not the computer, you are experiencing a constant low grade earth quake. (delivered with a completely straight face.)

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Would probably take me a while to get
that joke if delivered in speaking. Smile

But no more joke posts please everyone,
I'd like this problem solved. Smile
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Drivers, schrmivers.

You experience low-grade interference from UFO communications. No joke. OK, maybe one more joke...

Have you checked the batteries?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
No batteries, its not cordless. :/

And I just bought it was well, started acting up the first day. Smile
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
What make is it? They may have a website where you could download a driver.

Or maybe talk to someone where you bought it from?

I really ought to make notes about when these things happen to me and the eventual solution.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 08:05, lastnitesfun wrote:
It's the not the computer, you are experiencing a constant low grade earth quake. (delivered with a completely straight face.)

Mark

Just like a magician Smile
The Presitidigitationist
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2445 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Just turn it over and blow the dust off the LED - it happens to me daily.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Hm, nothing have helped.

My bro told me today that I should get a mouse mat that is black and reflects the light well, I saw on a forum though that you should NOT have something that reflects, this is weird, what really should I use? :S
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
It might be easier to just buy another mouse ! they aren't that expensive

Howard
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
This is a fault with the optical converter chip on the mouse circ board. Get the whole unit replaced by the seller.

This type of fault is the worst as you normaly check the drivers, connections, cleaness of the mouse ect. But on a hardwire fault it can take a lot of resources to track it down.
I had to use a £2500 oscilloscope to prove that the chip was defective. And the cost of the mouse was £28. I should not be put in a position where I know more then the tech support on a product.

In the world of optics there is no other option but precision. A minor fault will drop a system. Where I work, we have to static discharge ourselves on a regular basis. We also have to have a personal ground drain at all times.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Well, optical mice are not used for precision.

A good ball mouse is WAY WAY WAY more precise, accurate, ect than any optical mouse, if you can keep it clean.

Optical mice look cool and don't require very much cleaning and can be used on many surfaces, that is what makes them good.

Anyway, no you shouldn't get something that reflects.

What is going on is that there is a small camera taking many pictures and comparing the pictures to see if the mouse has moved...

So you want something that the camera can easily pick up as as a specific point and figure out if it moved based on that.

Wood is good.

Try putting your optical mouse on a mirror, it won't pick up any movement because it's getting the same "image" of itself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with a mouse, cursor jumping around.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL