The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The 50 post dash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Soupdragon
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Soupdragon
Do others find it irritating & a little "off" when a new member justs posts one liners and irrelevant stuff just to make the 50 post mark in the shortest of time?
thay must have no time to actually PRACTICE their routines!

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old sod!

Somehow I feel there's so much to absorb and enjoy on the slow meander to the 50 point.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Lol but now your 1 post closer, to be honest I'm in no rush for 50 posts, so much relevent info on the boards anyway. I'm happy to lurk
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
As a former staff member I can answer that. YES it is annoying, which is why once found the total is lowered to relevant, contributory messages regarding magic. It took me three months or more to reach 50 and now look where I am. The truth be told I am seldom in the sections granted to me by the fifty post rule as often they are boring and not as interesting as talking with new people or people who specialize in the areas I like. Moral of the story: Take time to smell the coffee.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
It does get aggrivating with the newer guys that come in and post just quick replys like "yes, I agree, ok, sure....ect". or they start stupid toppics and reply to themselves alot. I am with frank along with seldom being in the secret sessions section. I might go to it once a week if even that.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I go into the secret sessions a lot but really don't post there as much as other places. I guess for the same reasons. It does feel a little nice not having to worry about how I word something to prevent exposure though.

As for those that post the frivolous messages. I just scroll past them. They'll be very disappointed when they get to the Secret Sessions and find that the answer is usually what it is out here...

PRACTICE
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 12:55, Corey Harris wrote:
It does get aggrivating with the newer guys that come in and post just quick replys like "yes, I agree, ok, sure....ect". or they start stupid toppics and reply to themselves alot. I am with frank along with seldom being in the secret sessions section. I might go to it once a week if even that.

Yes. I agree. OK. Sure...etc.

:)

What surprises many of the newbies who make a "run for the border" (as I used to say when on the staff here) is when the get to the oh-so-secret sections...there really aren't any deep, dark secrets. There is a more thorough discussion of philosophy as well as some ideas for new effects that others have developed.

As for me...I'm making that mad dash for the Inner Circle at 1000 posts. Oh man, I can hardly wait: the special handshake, free refreshments, and a 50% mileage bonus. Oh wait...that's America West. Never mind.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
I do find it annoying, but I have to say I did post perhaps more than needed in order to get into the secret sessions forum when I first became a member. so I suppose I cant really complain to much.

ollie
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I guess I can agree partly here, being a new member myself. I been here for a few weeks anyway, and I have learned so much without access to the secret forum..even though it would still be nice to have the access to it, I can usually see how a trick is done just by watching it, I don't really have to go look it up.
The Presitidigitationist
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
For the new people:

Just so ya know...Secret Sessions has no "How It's Done..." expose's...in other words, if you're racing for that Secret Sessions access, you'll be disappointed. The thing I DO like, is that, if you have a gaff or gimmick, and want tips on how to better use it, or if you need help with a special move that is exclusive to that trick, you'll find great helpful ideas...

For those with less than 50, and you need special help about an item you have, or would like to discuss methods, you can always PM someone. Never ask how something's done, as that will get you flamed! Even after thirty-plus years doing magic, I've learned that lesson over and over. Smile

Doug
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 13:47, Steve Friedberg wrote:As for me...I'm making that mad dash for the Inner Circle at 1000 posts. Oh man, I can hardly wait: the special handshake, free refreshments, and a 50% mileage bonus. Oh wait...that's America West. Never mind.

Steve you forgot about the secret decoder ring. Drink Ovaltine! Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Sorry, Frank...that's only up in first class. Or the Kitchen.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Steve, Tex, Frank,

I couldn't believe that this topic attracted you gentlemen. But then I read it without the bifocals.

You've associated with the over 50 crowd. Right?

You old guys got fifty posts for birthdays while you were on staff!

OK, I've had my fun. Good to see the gang out there pretending they're "New to Magic?" still. (I know Steve's IBM number is in Roman numerals. Frank's wand is petrified wood --- now! Tex remembers before the Alamo!)

Got to go. It's bed check here at the nursing home.

Ya'll behave (someday!)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 15:01, Dougini wrote:
For those with less than 50, and you need special help about an item you have, or would like to discuss methods, you can always PM someone. Never ask how something's done, as that will get you flamed! Even after thirty-plus years doing magic, I've learned that lesson over and over. Smile

Doug

I can understand why magicians won't want secrets to get out to laymen. But flaming other magicians for asking? Blows my mind...
The Presitidigitationist
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
A magician should know better than to ask. It's almost an insult to ask. We aren't a bunch of juveniles circling around behind the barn to gaze in awe at a stolen copy of Daddy's Playboy. We are magicians. It's part of our code not to expose secrets. When you ask us to expose you are asking us to violate that code and just the asking brings the assumption that you think lowly enough of us to imagine that we might answer.

It's an insult.

You know something, Justin? Forgive me for assuming here, but perhaps you aren't aware of the Magician's Code of Ethics. Here it is for you - just in case you, or some that are reading this, have never seen it. Please take careful note of item 3.

1) Oppose the willful exposure to the public of any principles of the Art of Magic, or the methods employed in any magic effect or illusion.

2) Display ethical behavior in the presentation of magic to the public and in our conduct as magicians, including not interfering with or jeopardizing the performance of another magician either through personal intervention or the unauthorized use of another's creation.

3) Recognize and respect for rights of the creators, inventors, authors, and owners of magic concepts, presentations, effects and literature, and their rights to have exclusive use of, or to grant permission for the use by others of such creations.

4) Discourage false or misleading statements in the advertising of effects, and literature, merchandise or actions pertaining to the magical arts.

5) Discourage advertisement in magic publications for any magical apparatus, effect, literature or other materials for which the advertiser does not have commercial rights.

6) Promote the humane treatment and care of livestock used in magical performances.
MWG_T_H_O_M_A_S
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of MWG_T_H_O_M_A_S
I'm in no rush to get to 50 either, I think its more important to work out how YOU do tricks, so they become more natural to you. As opposed to attempting to emulate someone elses style, and thus not looking so natural.

:)

Tom
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I don't think it is that important to get the 50 posts. In the "restricted areas" you might discuss magic with a deepe runderstanding, but very often newcomer think that they can find "secrets" there - which is not true.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Soupdragon
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Soupdragon
2) Display ethical behavior in the presentation of magic to the public and in our conduct as magicians, including not interfering with or jeopardizing the performance of another magician either through personal intervention or the unauthorized use of another's creation.

so how does someome like Derren Brown stand? Doesn't he say in his advertising that it's psychology, not magic?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Rikbrooks,
All true, but sorta harsh on the guy... I have no problem talking about magic to other magicians. But I still don't "expose" just for the sake of exposing. And I believe it should be done away from the eavesdroppers, thus the "Secret Sessions" area was formed.

What Justin may not have considered is that the Magic Café isn't a private meeting place where magicians gather. It's a "public commons" area visited by magicians as well as the general public and "secret seekers." What is said here is available for the whole world to read. That's why we have the controls we do.

Mr. Brooks (Steve, not Rik) decided that if a person contributed 50 useful posts that he's serious enough to be allowed into the "Secret Sessions" area. This is really the only viable test that works in this digital forum as we can't know the visitor's intentions otherwise.

FYI, Several noted magicians are here, and still don't have the required 50 post count.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
When I first came here , I had already been in magic almost 40 some years so I really didn't care about the 50 posts. In stead what I did find were a lot of people that were glad to help me with books that was wriiten on a certain thing or how to get ideas to do a theme for a magic show. This place is great for he;lp like that . I think it took me qiute awhile to get 50 but I enjoy the Café along the way .
Alson
Soupdragon
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Soupdragon
Quote:
FYI, Several noted magicians are here, and still don't have the required 50 post count.

Now that's a very valid point! Keeps things in perspective.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The 50 post dash (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL