The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » What do you use on your ankles for the upside down SJ escape? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I haven't done this escape in a number of years but I have quite a few shows coming up that I would like to do it again in.

I'm having a contractor build a stackable super structure with an electric winch so that the escape can be performed anywhere there is level ground and electricity (any stage), but I specifically had it built for my smaller theatre shows. When upright, it will stand just over 10 1/2' feet tall on lockable castors and I will be clear of the ground by about 3'. The tower itself should break down and pack 5 1/2' x 5 1/2' x 2' so it will fit into my trailer no problem.

When I used to perform this escape, I was restricted on where I could do it. It was either outside using a large crane or in large theatres that had "flies."

For my ankles I used to use a combination of thick soft rope, newspapers and cowboy boots. I would wrap my ankles in newspapers to about 1/2" thick and then put my cowboy boots on over top of that. Then, using a series of wrapping knots, wind the ropes around each ankle. The knots were tied so that they tightened when the ropes were supporting my weight. The ropes would then be hitched to what ever device was lifting me. The newpapers and boots helped keep the ropes from cutting off the circulation to my feet.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I might be able to use that is just as effective.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
For the lower rig as above, straps made from car seat belts are the cheapest and easiest to rig. A double independant strap (One for each ankle) Gives a little more self confidence. By looping the straps a slide ring on each will allow for a quick insertion and exit.
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Rob,

I use a rig I designed for my Tribune HSJ escape in 1967,
yes I'm still using it to this day,..... way over 100 times!
With and without fire,20 feet to 1500 feet under a helicoptler!
NEVER A WORRY!!!
I designed it so after my HSJ escape I could reach up and release
my feet,and come down waving to the crowd!

If your interested PM me !!

Steve Baker
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Rob-

What I have used is an ankle harness for bungee jumping. You can find some of the equipment here:

http://www.adrenalindreams.com/equipment.html

Though honestly, I would love to hear more about the rig Mr. Escape used!

Allan
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your input.

Kondini, the webbing sounds like a good possibility and I will look into it.

Steve, I have PM'd you and am very interested in what you have to share.

Allan, good advice. I never even thought of bungee equipment. They are a little expensive, but might be a good investment if I don't feel confident enough to construct my own riggings.

Thanks again,

Rob
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Some people have used inversion boots to. for the upside down sj escape.
Bigelow
View Profile
New user
closer to the end than I would like to be
25 Posts

Profile of Bigelow
Don, what are their names and email address?
David
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Dean Gunnerson used inversion boots, when he was hanging out at Hoover Dam.

I use a spliced loop of 1 1/2" rope. When it's folded right, my own weight provides the security. And I can get out of it easily, if I need to. Every time I use it, I test it 3 or 4 times first.

And I wear boots with a top that covers my ankles.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
If you are interested in webbing check out an "endless loop". It is sewn onto itself and will hold 1,400 lbs. You can slip it through itself for a "knot" that wont' come undone.

Another option is to make a full body harness which is what I prefer. There was a thread on it awhile ago. If you can't find it holler and I'll get you a link to it.

Have a great one!

Clyde
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
CLYDE!!! You are back!!!
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Yes, sorry not to get back to you Wolf and Perry.... I'll be doing so shortly. I'm still limping along while getting my new computer set up following a crash of my old system (yet again). Thanks for the warm greeting!

Clyde
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Quote:
On 2005-04-23 02:22, Bigelow wrote:
Don, what are their names and email address?
David

I have used rope, web slings, gravity boots and bungee harnessing for suspended escapes. Personally I think the bungee stuff wins out for comfort security.

Gravity boots lock good though, especially when you hang off a trapeze with them. but I would not trust them for escapes which require a lot of movement, or outdoors in any conditions other than perfect. Even then the wind can whip up without warning. However as I used to perform trapeze they do mean that I can use the bar for some trapeze moves after the escape, which can add some nice touchs.

Me using Gravity (Inversion) boots to hang off a trapeze during an escape.

http://www.thefreakshow.co.uk/images/britainswildest15.JPG

Cheers

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Welcome back Clyde!! Take your time, nothing way important

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Good to see you again Pastor Clyde. Great picture David!
Tony Parisi
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Clyde, add me to the list to welcome you back.

I appreciate all the input from you all. Steve Baker, thank you VERY much for the phone call and all the great advice. It was indeed a pleasure to speak with you and I'm looking forward to receiving your DVD.

I have looked at all the options and have decided to put out the money for the bungee rigging. It has a good safety record and is built to be as comfortable as possible for the job that it does. I have placed an order this morning with a company that manufactures them. It turns out that they are not situated too far from where I live ( a couple of hours down the road).

Again thanks for all the input.

Rob
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Rob

Let me guess. Ampspec right Smile They do great work. I have several of their harnesses.

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi David,

Actually, it's Bungee Consultants International http://www.bungeeconsultants.com/

They're located in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area. They seem to be pretty reputable and will custom make your harnesses if you don't like their "standard" models.

I'm looking forward to trying them on.

All the best,

Rob
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Duhh.. for some reason your web address made me think of California... I need more sleep and less work... Smile

My Website
Add me on facebook
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hahaha, pleasant dreams DS. Smile
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
David,

Do you have a link to Ampspec? Or other contact details?

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » What do you use on your ankles for the upside down SJ escape? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL