The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » False tricks to use as openers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
Does anyone of you knows a false funny trick to use like an opening gag? Think that would be great for any close-up show, but really can't come up with anything by now.
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Adult Audiences Only: I usually open with an act I'm pulling something out of the hat I wear. Dig in there and and really make it look like your trying to grab something. Then pull your hand out and also A one finger salute. "Presto! Here's a bird. I couldn't afford a dove."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For kids, maybe pull out a cookie from the hat, eat it like cookie monster and say "good thing I didn't pull a rabbit out of here."
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Bill Martin
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Bill Martin
Pull out a rubber dove, fold it up and put it in your pocket.
malcolm
View Profile
New user
currently Calgary, Canada
62 Posts

Profile of malcolm
Funny you should mention this. I often open my act with the following routine, designed simply to let the audience know that I don't take myself too seriously. (I've only got a moment, so this'll be a quick description...)

Fairly and fancily shuffling a deck of cards I announce that I've been scanning the audience for someone with a certain je ne sais quoi, a certain quality...and YOU (point out fellow) seem to have it! (chuckles, usually).

Have you ever done any work with psychic phenomena? I ask. No? Well you look potentially very psychic (gets laughs, for some reason).

I then carry on, asking them to imagine a full deck of cards laid out in front of them (all the while I am shuffling deck, cutting etc), then allow one card to become bigger and brighter in their mind...get larger...allow other cards to fade away... one card in mind...focus...picture it in great detail...

then I do a swing cut and loudly slap the top of the deck with my palm, and lift up the top card, face hidden from audience.

In a loud voice sir, what was the name of the card that came to mind?

they say, eg, the four of diamonds.

I flip card around. "No, actually it's the six of spades. (very brief pause to let this sink in...) I suggest you practice a little more at home before you try THAT one in public again!"

Always gets a laugh with adults. Kids just don't get it. But it sets up my persona and gets everyone relaxed. and once every 52 times you do it, you'll get it right and then, my friend, you have a miracle!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Show your right hand empty.

Carefully roll up your sleeves.

Curl you fingers shuts.

Make three clockwise motions with your left hand.

Make three COUNTER clockwise motions with your left hand.

Add a sprinkle of fairy dust.

Say the magic words.

Click your fingers.

and open your hand and say "its VANISHED!!!!"

(i've had this fool people who got forgot my hand was empty to begin with!)
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Ha Ha! The "No-Coin Trick." That's brilliant! (pun intended)

Don't forget the little screw and screwdriver that screws together the spec's index fingers.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
I use kicker the rabbit from time to time .. like rocky .. however I roll up a ball cap ,,, and stuff it inside , then Pull a hat outta the rabbit , I use a coors beer ball cap ... the twist off cap Smile
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
This one's great for parlor or stage, provided you use a side table...

As you introduce yourself, ask "Does anyone here have a five dollar bill I could use?"

When someone raises the five, go retrieve it and walk back on stage. Then hold the bill up in front and begin to fold the bill in half slowly... then half again... and again, until you have a square approx. one inch. Then walk over to your side table and place the folded bill under one leg of the table. Then place your hand on top of the table and move the table back and forth as if to steady it... and say, "There... that's much better." Then, without hesitation go into your first trick of the show... Don't mention the bill again until the end of the show. If you wish, at the end, you can retrieve the bill from under the table leg and hold it up and say, "Here's the dollar bill I borrowed from you, sir." Of course, he'll chuckle and remind you that it was five that he loaned you. You then unfold the five and say, "Oh yes, it was a five... Thank you sir." Take a bow.
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Quote:
On 2005-05-12 23:27, MagikDavid wrote:

As you introduce yourself, ask "Does anyone here have a five dollar bill I could use?"

When someone raises the five, go retrieve it and walk back on stage. Then hold the bill up in front and begin to fold the bill in half slowly... then half again... and again, until you have a square approx. one inch. Then walk over to your side table and place the folded bill under one leg of the table. Then place your hand on top of the table and move the table back and forth as if to steady it... and say, "There... that's much better." Then, without hesitation go into your first trick of the show... Don't mention the bill again until the end of the show. If you wish, at the end, you can retrieve the bill from under the table leg and hold it up and say, "Here's the dollar bill I borrowed from you, sir." Of course, he'll chuckle and remind you that it was five that he loaned you. You then unfold the five and say, "Oh yes, it was a five... Thank you sir." Take a bow.

That's awesome!! It'd be great to have it signed - at the end of the show you could have it switched out for a piece of paper that said "IOU" or something along those lines then reproduce it from a lemon or other place...

The idea of using it to prop up a stand is I think one of the only logical reasons why you'd want to borrow a bill early on in the show and not reproduce it until much much later...great thinking on this one!
Logic Defied
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
NIcholas, I have been practicing what you said and laughing the whole time. "Abracadabra. It's vanished" I think it will be better if I could stop laughing.

I hate it when people ask me to do a trick at the dinner table or bar. I will carry that one with me from now on. Thank you.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Alym,
Great idea to have the bill signed... then eventually using it toward the end of the show as an actual effect. I never thought of that before.

I've used the borrowed bill opener many times. You'll find that when you begin to fold the bill, the audience will be transfixed on your every move. You should play this to the hilt... very serious... very slowly and carefully folding the bill... the tension in the room builds... then when they see you place it under the table leg, you'll feel the whole room sigh and chuckle... realizing that they've just been duped (I just love when that happens.) It's important here to not dwell on what you've done, but rather, ignore it and quickly move to your first trick in your routine. If you use this, I gaurantee that you'll have your audience just where you want them... after that, it's up to you to baffle them with some real magic ;-)

I should have mentioned that this is not an original idea. Years ago I saw a magician on TV do it. I believe it might have been Johnny Thompson, but I'm not sure. Maybe others at the Café can recall who it was (some of you old-timers? this was sometime in the early 80's?)

Before I started using it in my shows, I did another skit to loosen up the audience by interrupting my first trick and saying, "Excuse me everyone... I believe I have a stone in my shoe." Then I would take off my shoe and pull out the ol' Sponge Rock... Lay it carefully on the table, slip my shoe back on and say, "There... that's much better."
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
You know, that sounds like Thompson - we had the priviledge of seeing him lecture here in Vancouver last October and he's one of the funniest guys I have seen.

The thing I like about using it to prop up a table is that there would be absolutely NO heat on the bill because its such a funny moment. And even cooler - the 'bill' will be in full view throughout the routine!

Now that's a lot of milage from something so simple!
Logic Defied
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1098 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2005-05-13 04:47, alym wrote:
Quote:

That's awesome!! It'd be great to have it signed - at the end of the show you could have it switched out for a piece of paper that said "IOU" or something along those lines then reproduce it from a lemon or other place...

The idea of using it to prop up a stand is I think one of the only logical reasons why you'd want to borrow a bill early on in the show and not reproduce it until much much later...great thinking on this one!

I'll be adding this to my routine ASAP!!
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
I think we are all here to get ideas from each other, to help each other and to make us all better performers. When one idea blossoms into something a few guys added together, Enjoy it, incorporate it, Make it work for you and you only. Use the concept, but never steal the same routine. This forum has some great help and more than enough friends to build routines.

Adding and subtracting ideas from your routine is fun for not only a frequent fan base, but for yourself also. I can honestly say my routines on stage have never been the exact same. This makes your act an on going mini-series.

Funny ideas here.

Here's to friends of Magic Café! Cheers!
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Amen to that!

The Café rocks!!!
Logic Defied
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
Maybe you should open with a fake cups and balls type thing, that's exactly what I would do. or you could start of with teaching them a really easy trick. or the ever famous start with juggling, 3 balls in two hands and 2 balls in one hand, people like it
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
I use a bit of juggling sometimes with a little comedic twist. I first juggle two golf balls... then patter about how much skill it takes and move on to three... then I tell them that I'm the only person in the world who can juggle NINE balls at the same time. When I begin to juggle NINE balls, I bring the house down. Here's why... Three groups of golf balls are glued together (3 to each group). I then merely juggle the three groups... The audience laughs their a***s off!!!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3323 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:

The beauty of this effect is if you actually forget to return the bill but discover it when breaking down the stage you are $5 richer. Added humor would be for the spectator to have to remind you. Then thank them for the one dollar bill. A second forgetful reaction.Would lend itself well to an absent-minded magician routine.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Quote:
On 2005-05-18 23:05, MagikDavid wrote:
I use a bit of juggling sometimes with a little comedic twist. I first juggle two golf balls... then patter about how much skill it takes and move on to three... then I tell them that I'm the only person in the world who can juggle NINE balls at the same time. When I begin to juggle NINE balls, I bring the house down. Here's why... Three groups of golf balls are glued together (3 to each group). I then merely juggle the three groups... The audience laughs their a***s off!!!

That's a great idea, MagikDavid! I like it! As I read it, I thought of something else to try - instead of gluing the golf balls together and claiming to juggle 9 balls, one could claim to juggle eight balls, and then proceed to juggle 3 "8 balls" from a pool table. This might be funny as well. -Jeff
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Magikdavid,
The bill under the table thing is wonderful. You have made my day! Three cheers for the Magic Café and its comedy forum!

-Ed
The re-souling of magic should be the aim of twenty first century magicians-S.H. Sharpe
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » False tricks to use as openers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL