The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magical Surprise: Patriotism Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I was asked to do the opening flag ceremony at the Cub Scout Pack meeting and given a Cub Scout Script to which we had to light candles and use patriotic words. Not magic at all, and I didn’t like the idea of given 8-year olds matches but I really liked the script.

I modernized the old scout script slightly and I used Silk Scarfs and a change bag instead of candles and matches. (In the background, subtlely, at a very low volume was the Star-Spangle banner music being played on a remote controlled bomb-box setting the mood.)

Here’s the script:

Scout 1: The blue of my flag is for truth and justice, like the eternal blue of the star-filled heavens. (He puts the blue silk in the change bag.)

Scout 2: The white of my Flag is for purity, cleanness of purpose, thought, word, and deed. (He puts the white silk in the change bag.)

Scout 3: The red of my flag is the lifeblood of the brave men and women, ready to die, or fight to live, for this our country. (He puts the red silk in the change bag.)

Scout 4: (Holding change bag.)

Scout 1 and 2 reach into the change bag and pull out the American flag silk by appropriate ends displaying a 36 inch American Flag as Scout No. 4 says: My flag - The flag of America, home of liberty, land of opportunity, where people of all races and creed, live in peace and friendship together.

Scout 3: Annouces please join us in saying the pledge of allegiance...

In light of recent events (Sept 11th) this went over extremely well. It was not played up as a magic trick, nor did most realize a trick was going to be performed. The flag surprize came as a shock, The "wonderment wow" effect and words of "Did you see that!" floated around the room. (Presentation is the key to a successful effect.)

The Cub Scouts got a loud round of applause for that opening. The routine played very well.

This routine is free for the taking, I liked the words so well, I am going to use them with my Flag Blendo trick at the Blue and Gold Banquet, and in my shows.

I realize, the use of the American Flag brings added applause. In light of recent events, it is a great addition to add patroitism to one’s show. A reminder that magicians are human and empathic to our nation in need to deal with the present situation.

Your Comments?

Smile

Dennis Dowhy (800) 927-6671

www.Magic-Magic.com

[email]DennisDowhy@magic-magic.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
All too often, the flag is brought out simply as an applause-getter.

However, in this case, there is a legitimate justification for using it.

I like it. A lot.

It should play very well in other, non-Scout shows, too.

Well done, Dennis.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I recognize the Flag as an applause getter and several philosophies regarding this.

It always plays well for schools because teaching patriotism is a subject teachers must address. (It also is a reason to hire a magician and get grants to pay for him/her.)

It works well with shows already great, which don’t really need this type of trick for an applause getter, however, to use it in a poorly developed show to make it seem better, is not the best thing to do.

Smile

Dennis Dowhy (800) 927-6671

www.Magic-Magic.com

[email]DennisDowhy@magic-magic.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
VERY well done, 2 thumbT's up! Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Dennis

Too bad our pack meeting is tonight. But January...

I would love to use that if it's OK with you

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Ray

Patriotism is free for the taking!

Enjoy, besides how can anyone say no to making Scouts happy!

Den

Smile
Dennis Michael
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
That is a great routine. Thank you in advance I too will use it in my Blue and Gold shows. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mr Phil
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Please let me know how your routine worked out at the Scout meeting.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Do you mean they actually brainwash/teach patriotism over there? why?

phillip Smile Smile Smile Smile
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
Great, very well done!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Back at the magic...
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Here's an flash from the past. I've used a modified version of this "routine" at scout meetings and it sets a tone very nice.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magical Surprise: Patriotism Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL