The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What is direct mailing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I've seen a lot of posts on the Café about whether or not to do direct mailing, and how to go about it, but I guess I'm not totally clear on what you include in "direct mail" and who it goes out to? Could someone help me out on this one? Thanks
Dann
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This is a topic which requires a lot of reading to fully understand. It is a series of mailing to a target market on what it is you are offering.

There is no exact correct method because it is constantantly changing. A post card is a good starter and tease the prospect to want to open the next mailing which should occur 3 to 7 days after receiving the postcard.

Some magicians do a month mailing using 7 different post cards. Some mix a one page letters while other send a four page brochure.

This topic has been discussed heavily by this forum as well as others. The best way to learn aout Direct mailing is through a library or the business section in a book store.

There are many authors which sell you their system for several hundred dollars such as David Dee's Ulitmate Marketing book, or CJ Johnson's Making more money. These have been discussed here and they are only as useful as you want them to be. Many buy but don't apply, the principles.
Dennis Michael
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Hey Dennis,
I appreciate you taking the time to give me some information. I've searched the Café for "direct mail" and "direct mailing" and only came up with 3 results, so I must be missing the places this has been discussed. I will keep my eyes open though.
I'll probably just start with a postcard or newsletter being relatively new to performing magic. Should I just go through the phone book and pick places I might enjoy performing for or what? This is all new to me like I said. I appreciate your help.
Dann
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dann,

I would be happy to help you out with this in any way that I can. I am a magician and graphic designer who works in the direct mail marketing industry. I use direct mail and marketing techniques every day and every year as a part of how I generate new business and retain past clients.

If you can give some details as to what market you are trying to get into and what your goals are and a bit about the show and your services, this would help me to better help you. It would be my pleasure.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dann,

Careful about letting me start answering a question like this because I'm an old marketing professor who used to teach this stuff. I may not find a stopping point!
(Also I owned a printing business and my consulting field is Professional Services Marketing after having owned an entertainment booking agency and personal management company.)

The first and most important distinction is that the term is "direct mail". A closely related term is "bulk mail".

Bulk mail is sent to a general (no specific name) addressee at a targeted address. (Talent buyer at the Hilton Hotel in Slapout, AL)

Direct mail is sent to a specifically named individual at a targeted address. (Billy Jones, Talent Buyer at the Hilton Hotel in Slapout, AL)

People who sell mailing lists love to confuse you about the differences. The quality of the returns are very different. In many organizations, mail not addressed to Billy Jones above is never seen by Billy Jones. (Don't expect a call from him!)

Paying first class postage does NOT make it a direct mail campaign.

In both cases the text of the messages may be exactly the same. The enclosures may also be exactly the same.

I'll stop right there.

It is a major distinction that sales people DON'T want you to make. They typically sell mail campaigns by the piece. I would rather send out five pieces of mail and get two bookings than five hundred pieces of mail and get two bookings. The difference is not just postage. Everytime a piece of mail is thrown away with your name on it, it sets the plan for the next one they receive from you. There is no better chance than the first impression to get an audience with a talent buyer.

Bulk mail is better than no mail, sometimes. It isn't even close to direct mail for results.

Good Luck! Be careful what you spend! There are plenty of people in this line of work that are "mail clerks" or "copy writers" and not advertising professionals. They don't even know the difference! Industry statistics include all employed in the industry and are not the statistics for just the good ones. (I recommend looking for someone with a graduate degree in Marketing and experience.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-04-24 15:49, Bob Sanders wrote:
The first and most important distinction is that the term is "direct mail". A closely related term is "bulk mail".

Bulk mail is sent to a general (no specific name) addressee at a targeted address. (Talent buyer at the Hilton Hotel in Slapout, AL)

Direct mail is sent to a specifically named individual at a targeted address. (Billy Jones, Talent Buyer at the Hilton Hotel in Slapout, AL)

Here is the definition you are seeking. Bob hit the nail square on the head.

Direct mail is mail sent directly to an individual, not a title or just to a business / home address. Use the name, and start to establish a relationship.

If it doesn't have a name, it's a bulk mailing, and your response rate is much lower.

Some of the benefits of doing a direct mail, as opposed to bulk mail, is that:

1) it more likely than not gets to the person (often a mailing sent to a "title" is thrown out, or at least not given as much consideration. There are some ways to increase the impact of bulk mail, but that is another discussion).

2) you can call first and now you have a name. If you ask more questions, you can be assured you have the right contact within the company, and not the wrong one. This is called "qualifying the customer", and is only the start of that process.

3) You can also follow up after the mailing, to ask more questions, and clarify their questions about your offer. You can also refer to the mailing as a common discussion (reference) point. You can ask for the booking when appropriate.

4) You can also guage their interest in your service (so you don't waste marketing resources) before you send any piece.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-04-24 13:39, stannmaple wrote:
Any other thoughts on this from the more experienced?
Dann

The public library has tons of books on this subject. It covers the topic throughly.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Great stuff. Kyle, I PMed you.
Dann
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dann. Thanks. It would be my pleasure to help you if I can. I PM'd you back and I hope some of my suggestions will be of benefit to you and that I can help you along the way or point you in the right directions.

Anyone can be as successful as he or she wants to be. It takes drive, ambition, determination and the ability to not sit on your butt but to take ACTION to get the shows you want to be performing.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 20:32, magic4u02 wrote:...Anyone can be as successful as he or she wants to be. It takes drive, ambition, determination and the ability to not sit on your butt but to take ACTION to get the shows you want to be performing.

Kyle

Kyle has never spoken more truthfully!!!! I started learning magic and balloon twisting at age 54. Got one restaurant gig doing balloons. Then when I lost my full time job that same year I was talking to the General Manager of the restaurant where I performed on Tuesday nights, he went into the office and walked out a few minutes later with a schedule. I suddenly had 5 restaurants a week. I am now 60 and have been full time as a magician and twister ever since. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Just get off the old hind end, take some action, and you will be successful.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Paddy,

Great story! Wonderful things happen when people ASK!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks Peter. The problem people have is that they want the success but most are not willing to do the work it takes to obtain that success. No one said success was going to be easy. However, I can tell you that anyone can obtain it if he or she has the drive and determination to make it happen for him or herself. It really is that simple.

Instead of sitting by the phone hoping it rings, get off your butt and take some action and place some phone calls. Take the action neccessary to start thinking in active terms and not passive.

But even the hard work mat seem hard at the start because one is not used to doing it. However, nothing drives success more then success. What I mean is that the first success you achieve on your own from your own action will empower you to do more. The first success stumbles you into doing more to build upon that success. Soon what you thought of as being hard work suddenly becomes habit. Once it is a habit, you do it without even thinking about it because taking action has become a part of who you are and how you function with your magic.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What is direct mailing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL