The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comebacks Needed For .... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Hi, this post is about asking for comebacks to things spectators say or ask. Please add your own questions and comebacks.

Here are a few I need comebacks for:

1. Can I shuffle the deck?

2. You picked up two cards (double lift)

3. Let me show you a trick

4. Can you do the one where the card ends up in the bottle?(or something you're not prepared to do)

5. Let me see your deck

6. You have two of the same cards

Hope you can provide some combacks to these - and more that people will add to this post.

yours
MacGyver
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
<<<1. Can I shuffle the deck ? >>>

Yes. Let them. Do another trick where it doesn't matter, or take out another deck while they are shuffling the other one and do the trick with that

<<<2. You picked up two cards (double lift) >>>

Prastice more, a LOT more. There is no comeback for getting caught.

<<<3. Let me show you a trick >>>

Sure, why don't you sit up and beg? I have to with my wife every night....

<<<4. Can you do the one where the card ends up in the bottle?(or something you're not prepared to do) >>>

Sure, then do your card to impossible location. Again, if you don't know one, it is time to prastice more.

<<<5. let me see your deck >>>

Sure, let them. Again, if you are getting caught this much you are the problem not the audience.

<<<6. you have two of the same cards >>>

Wanna bet? (unless you do then you are burned again)

Let me point out this is not a problem with a polished professional act. You need to remember Vernon's point that NO ONE wants to watch a smart ass. Go back to the classics like the Stars of Magic and the Royal Road to Card Magic and really work on the concepts there. Pay attention to the classic Vernon "stories" and why they are classics.

Good Luck

Mark Tripp
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
1. Can I shuffle the deck ? /// Not until you wash those filthy hands...yeeech!

2. You picked up two cards (double lift) /// I tend to stutter.

3. Let me show you a trick /// I don't have the $50 bucks right now.

4. Can you do the one where the card ends up in the bottle?(or something you're not prepared to do)/// Usually after puttting up with you dolts, you can find me in a bottle of whiskey. OR Ohhh good Lord, that trick is illegal!

5. let me see your deck /// Then can I see yours?

6. you have two of the same cards /// It's a Siamese deck of card I got in China town.

**I feel if a person is not enjoying your magic and is trying to solve every trick like Columbo, you should have a defensive angle prepared. Remember your in control...you are the one on stage.

Good Luck
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
For any of the aforementioned questions: "SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN KID"

Or you could go with the more pascifistic(?) angle: "Does this make you feel like a big man, do you feel better when you are degrading others?"

I would mention assault, but that is usually looked down on by the "man".
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
1. Can I shuffle the deck ?

Of course not... then they would be as mixed up as I am...

Quote:
2. You picked up two cards (double lift)

Uh-oh! Did I? (This is such a short little sentence, but in just those few words, you have planted a seed in the back of their mind, that you actually made a boo-boo by picking up two cards and that you were unaware of it.)

Quote:

OK... Then hand them the deck. You then get paid while someone else does the work! I love my job! (Just be prepared to watch the 21 card trick and act as if it's the first time in your life you have ever seen it!)

Quote:
4. Can you do the one where the card ends up in the bottle?(or something you're not prepared to do)

Oh yes, that's a great trick... Tell you what, let me show you something just as amazing!

Quote:
5. let me see your deck

I agree with Mark Tripp above, let the see it and then just do a different trick. If the deck is gimmicked you might shoot back - Hey I don't come to your place of employment and examine your stapler!

Quote:
6. you have two of the same cards

Uh, yeah... It's a pinochle deck... Here - why don't you sign your card making it the only one in the deck with YOUR signature? Then go into your favorite impossible location routine.

Lyndel
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-04-23 17:12, macGyver(south Africa) wrote:

Would you please? I'd love to see it.

I would never reject someone for wanting to be interested in magic or to show me something, I have never professed to knowing everything.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1744 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
5. let me see your deck

I agree with Mark Tripp above, let the see it and then just do a different trick. If the deck is gimmicked you might shoot back - Hey I don't come to your place of employment and examine your stapler!

Or something a bit crueller - "Hey, I don't come to your place of employment and examine your floor-mop." Or "jizz-mop" if you're feeling really cruel...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
1. Nope.
2. Nope.
3. Nope.
4. Nope.
5. Nope.
6. Nope.

Am I serious?
Nope.

Depending on your character/performance style...these are good opportunities to build a relationship with your guests. Don't play them negative, whatever you do.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
yahu
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
116 Posts

Profile of yahu
1) probably not, few people can
2) I need them both
3) let me show you a trick
4) yes, but that requires a bottle, a brand new deck, and an ardvark named Joe who has the week off
5) look all you want, but don't touch anything until you get that grime off your hands (I only use perfectly normal, totally unprepared decks, but I still don't let anyone handle my cards, because they get them dirty, bend them, and otherwise ruin them. I can't afford to be replacing decks because my spectators are obnoxious)
6) you have two of them same shoes.
I am away and will be so until late July. I will have a chance to read the forums, but I will be pressed for time, and unable to read every thread. If you feel a thread requires my attention, please PM me with a link. Thanks, and have a great summer. :
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I agree with Patrick for any of them...

Shake your head up and down while saying "NO" (Very dry)

I don't let hecklers slow down the pace of my routines if they heckle at a bad time. The fastest way to shut them down keeps me on track and the routine as practiced and performed. I'll let them shuffle and see the cards when it is time.

We do have places in our show strategically placed where we welcome hecklers and generally get them. Then we play off of them from there but if they do it during a set up for a punch line it really ticks me off. Blows the punch cause no one heard the set up and then I get a little nastier with them.

Keep control of your audience by keeping their attention. That is the best way around these problems.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
A better core question is WHY are you are being heckled?

What about you or the presentation is bringing that out of a person?

I will say again that so called "heckler stoppers" are really not the way to go.

Prevention is always better then cure.

Mark Tripp
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
It really depends on the venues you are performing at. Your not going to get the same heckle from a Corporate show that youre going to get with a night club that serves booze. Booze is a hecklers evil elixor.

If it's the children youre performing for , you have to be more dry with the no answers. I feel if youre doing a club and your act consists of comedy, since this being the 'Funny Topic', You need to have your guns loaded just in case.

I can see a crowd behind the magician if the heckler is put in their spot with a witty comback. People enjoy that, they laugh because naturally they are on your side not the hecklers. Being dry to a heckler would only distance yourself from the audience...be witty. It's your moment, not the hecklers.

A good performance always starts with getting the crowd on yourside. That is the first thing you need to establish. Have them like you first! The heckle will be lesser of an issue then.

Heckle and Jeckll
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Hi.

I’m no professional but been doing magic for some time.

Sometimes the problem is not entirely with the performer – people want to shuffle and examine the deck even when it’s ok. Sometimes they have accused me of a double lift when there is none, because they know of that move. I agree that the chance is reduced with proper management, presentation and spectator selection, but most people are naturally suspicious of magicians. There will always be spectators who “know” exactly what is going on.

Maybe do this regarding nr 2. “You picked up two cards (double lift)”:
Look a little surprised by the question and execute the KM move (is that the name?). Do it in the motion of turning your left hand flicking the (now) single card and say “No”. If you need it back use for instance the Tilt and then bring it to the “top”. I have never tried it but just knowing of a way out eases my mind...

Josef K
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Quote:
On 2005-04-29 10:53, Josef K wrote:

There will always be spectators who “know” exactly what is going on.

Not a single one has EVER beat me at the three card monte. Just to give one example. If the audience knows about the double lift, it is because someone wasn't ready to perform it in public and did an expose rather than a performance.

People "burn" the card sharks hands all the time, and see nothing. Unless they are card sharks too.

I will stand on the position that if you have skill and talent this is not a problem, If you are a "wise guy" looking to show off rather than entertain, then you will get what you are asking for.

Mark Tripp
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
One line I use for hecklers (when the atmosphere is right) is to stage whisper "I remember when I had my first beer". It always gets a big laugh, and usually shuts up the heckler, though not always. I know in Card College Volume 4 Roberto Giobbi has some great lines for controlling hecklers.

About doing a DL, if you get caught on it, show the single card back on top, but turn it over very slowly and pretend you are fumbling - then when they call you on it hand the card to them. If you are good you can use substitutes for the DL like a top change right after such an interlude. This will usually stop the person from challenging you again because they have been embarrassed. This is only needed in extreme cases though, as most of the time it is rude to offend a spectator.
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Mark Tripp:

I don't argue with you, I agree. You should not perform trick or moves you don't handle well enough. And if you perform engaging and entertaining enough the solution should become of no interest to the audience.

When I said "know", I ment that sometimes people formulate solutions even though they are completely wrong. I saw a magician who bent a spoon. Before he started, he taped the spoon on the table to show it to be solid. I heard one of the guys at the table wispering to his friend that he bent it (and twisted it, apperently!) with that tap. And to me the actual bend was executed well enough.

Josef K

Opps... He tapped (as in banging...) the spoon, he did not tape it on to the table! Smile

Josef K
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Well this came about from performing for students in the caffeteria. You see there were a lot of girls around and I rocked up on these guys turf. The girls were amazed and the guys were getting jealous so they were looking for any chance to make me look back. When we watched the tape back (we were filming this) the same guy was caught on tape at the end saying to his friend "this guy is good..very good"

Its just that you get some **************** (fill in cuss of choice) that will want to make themselves look important by being tough. On the other hand you get people who are amazed and want to inspect everything -check every detail cus they might be feeling like they were fooled.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 09:28, Josef K wrote:

When I said "know", I ment that sometimes people formulate solutions even though they are completely wrong. I saw a magician who bent a spoon. Before he started, he taped the spoon on the table to show it to be solid. I heard one of the guys at the table wispering to his friend that he bent it (and twisted it, apperently!) with that tap. And to me the actual bend was executed well enough.

Josef K

You see the problem? People seek for an answer when you present them with a puzzle to solve. This is a performance flaw. No one likes a smart ass, and a person who presents magic that way is going to send people off for an answer, ANY answer no matter how silly or impossible.

BUT

When you tell them a story, something about someone else, or a bad thing happening to you, you weave them into the tale.

In truth, if I have people like you say, I do triumph EXACTLY as taught by Vernon in Stars of magic. It is a perfect lead in. I say, you know, people can be pretty rough sometimes, even if they don't think they are. After all, these are card tricks, not rocket science. In fact, one night a really drunk guy took my cards.....

Now, that tells the person you are on to them, you give them some light, but then get back to work and do a miracle.

So, I say again, the masters are where the answers are, but the path is a rough one, and requires much prastice to get there.

Mark Tripp
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I don't care how kick ass or tight your show is you can and will have hecklers. Last night I had a whack load of them. As I said there are moments in the show we have planned to have hecklers and have comebacks for what ever they say. It's the yappy dogs on the front row that won't shut up that will eventually led me to being nasty. Shut up already! Yap, yap, yap. It happens even to the best. It's all in how you deal with it.

So, MacGyver, you have opened a interesting can of worms. Some believe to ignore others think to use a harsh comeback. I say it all depends on the situation. If you have a heckler that is playing along ride with it. If you have heckler that is messing with the flow shut him/her down. As fast as possible. that's my two cents.

Now you must be careful. I have had a heckler I believed was drunk and come to find out was mentally challenged. I felt like an arse. So, watch with the harshness. Know what you're doing. Be a pro.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Will,

Excellent post!

Mentally challenged or physically challenged people in the audience can "in the heat of the moment" appear to be regular audience members out to ruin the show.

I saw a comedian once who was trying to get an audience member to come up on stage for a bit and he refused to come up. He made some comment to get the comic to move on, but he didn't. The audience member made a remark that was interpreted as a heckle by the comic... It wasn't a heckle, he just made a single comment and was having fun and tried to get the comic to pick on someone else.

The comic berated him and really raked him over the coals for at least five minutes. Finally the comic was able to get out of him (in front of the entire audience) why he wouldn't come up on stage... He had no legs. The comedian couldn't see this because of the lights and the table the guy was seated at...

Needless to say when this was revealed to the comic and the entire audience, it brought the show to a SCREECHING halt! The comic was embarrassed, the audience member was probably a bit hurt, and the whole audience shared a horrifically awkward moment...

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comebacks Needed For .... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL