The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » David Blaine's illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scuppe80
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of scuppe80
I have just begun studying magic and I want to be a magican. I can do the same levitation illusion that David Blaine does but I want to learn more, can somebody tell me where I must start? Smile
Tero Yrjänä
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
There is a video called "The Self-Levitation Video" that teaches the effect very well. However, be warned, what you saw David Blaine do on TV was not exactly what the live audience saw.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
Try this website http://www.ghettomagic.50megs.com
Get my drift

;-)
Tolga Ozuygur
View Profile
New user
Istanbul / Turkey
60 Posts

Profile of Tolga Ozuygur
Tero, If I were you I would go into more magic rather than showmanship.I agree with Callin, you will not get what you expect. Buy more serious videos. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Blaine's best illusion is conning young magicians into thinking that what he does is really street magic!
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Well, wait a minute, everyone!

Remember, our wonderful Mr. Blaine got Scuppe80 into this wonderful field of magic!

Scuppe, I think the point that everyone is making is that David is not THAT skilled compared to other magicians. I myself see that, but I also *cough cough* LIKE some of his stuff. He's got a cool style! *sticks tongue out in a friendly way at everyone sitting in the Cafe*

So you want to be a magician? Here's my advice! Go for it! It's awesome! Buy a book on magic. I would suggest Bill Tarr's "Now you see it, Now you don't - Lessons in sleight of hand". Actually, it might also be at your library!

There's also some basic magic tricks available (free) online. Try doing a search "Card Trick Central".

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

And good luck! You're gonna love it.

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
Scuppe80:
I'd say that first search a little bit more. What Blaine "does" in his video is NOT what you will be able to do when you learn his levitation technique.
There's a BIG difference between "magic using special effects" and "magic using special effects but trying to sell an image that you're against big illusions".
Don't get me wrong: He is great at what he does... but what he actually does, not what people think he does. I'm with Peter on this one.

Smile
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
Try my earlier website but with the normal http: in front
philwalker_wba
View Profile
New user
England
15 Posts

Profile of philwalker_wba
Im new to magic too, and one bit of advice I found very useful was the difference between demonstrating tricks and presenting magic. Its the presentations of something that should have a rational explenation, but which is presented in such a way that it overides the natural instincts and therefore allows you it to appear magical. There is therefore an skill to presenting tricks but and art to performing magic. David Blaine for all his faults is and excellent presnter of magic.
If at First you dont succeed try a little magic.

Regards phil
G-Diddy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of G-Diddy
scuppe,

to get more into magic consider buying books and videos on magic that are relevant to the field of magic that interests you.
for example, card magic, coin magic, stage magic etc...you can read about what is good and recommended in the messages on the respective boards...
Also consider going to a magic store to see some of the effects that they carry, and to see magicians do their magic...there is good stuff out there that Blaine does not perform.
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
105 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
http://www.ellusionist.com/ You can buy some Blaine-like tricks here. though you could do a search for David Blaine and find some good how-to sites. PM me if you have any certain tricks you would like to learn, because I know how to do (or at least get the same efect of) practicly all Daveid Blaine's tricks.
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
Scuppe80,

Go to a Magic store /Retailer, Buy & Learn, Ask your Retailer to show you a demo of the item, if you like it Buy it, and ask your retailer to do a lil' Hands on Help.. He will be Glad to help you..

Find your Own Grove in the spectator friendly buisness. Please relize it does take Years of Practice with your Props, as well as getting your showmanship down to an art...

And like you'll hear from everyone.. Practice, Practice, ahhhh you know the rest...

BB
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
kasperzghost
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of kasperzghost
Ok everyone in here has been pretty down on david blaine but once u get into magic more u will find that the stuff he does isn't actuly what u see BUT he still is a good show man which i beleive is half of the magic expereince but when u get more into it u will find u get he becomes less spectacular u must remeber DAVIDE BLAINE WENT TO ACTING SCHOOL and that's what he does takes good tricks and puts a big act around them but on a good note it works!! so props to him for that Smile
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Please, do yourself a favour and buy a real book of magic. I don´t mind which, Tarbell Course in Magic, Giobbi´s Card College,... i don´t mind. Begin where you want, with the kind of magic you want. But please, it´s my opinion, forget all these pages that teach you how to become a blaine clon in a few days.

Do you want to become a real magician... or not?

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Knate
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Knate
I'm into David Blaines Magic and i think that it is totally cool what he does when i watch him on the t.v i am sitting there with my Bicycles Smile trying to work out how to do his card tricks...He's AMAZING... Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3301 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The thing is, David Blaine, whether you like him and his magic or not, is making TONS of money. He may not be as skilled as other Magicians, but he is the one with the fame. He figured out a way to make it big. Since he did not give up, and pursued his dream, there are many who will bash him, and will be negative towards him. I really don't care what he "calls" his magic, ie street magic, etc. I enjoy all types of Magic, and feel that David Blaine is just one of us, who happened to make it big! How many of us here in the Café would refuse to take a million dollars and be on a T.V. special, just because we don't like the name of the show?? (street magic)
theamazingsteve
View Profile
New user
Essex, England
12 Posts

Profile of theamazingsteve
What you see isn't what you'll be able to do. Do a search on the internet and you'll probably find it, but it is rather tricky to perform.
After all, Blaine doesn't make programmes for magicians, he makes them for spectators, so what you see may not be what you may be able to do if you try and replicate it. He manipulates what you see to make you more amazed.

One piece of advice (I'm no expert but I've heard lots of people say this) - don't fall into the trap of buying tricks and wanting to do tricks 'because Blaine does it'

Do the tricks you like and like performing, and develop your own style. It is only because Blaine is such a good performer that people think his tricks are excellent. You can make almost any trick as effective as what he does with the right presentation.

Good luck with your magic!
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
I have to say that i enjoy Blaine on Tv but it's not so great when you know what you see on Tv is not what happens in the street. the street is his stage and he knows where all his props are. Yes he is better than me, but then agian i don't pretend to be what i'm not. Just take the loving embrace from the fellow magicians here and become yourself not someone like yourself.!
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Read the "sticky" at the top of this forum. Priceless information, and great resources. It any of what is mentioned in there does not pique your interest, there is no magic in your future. I'll bet you David Blaine has some of that list in his collection!
Smile
OneStarr
View Profile
New user
New York
5 Posts

Profile of OneStarr
I think that a lot of people put down Blaine because he is doing what so many other magicians have been doing for years, only he's developed a persona to go along with his performances, and he's successful.

I think it's because of this that a lot of magicians feel slighted. Humm...

1*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » David Blaine's illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL