The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Couldn't they do that with Photoshop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
"That's a hard way to make an easy living"
Melvin Burkhart

The thing I love about living in NY is that I never know who is going to call with a gig. And it is often something offbeat.

For instance, I just got back from doing a photo shoot. It was for British Vogue. The shoot had a high fashion model standing there in high fashion looking willowy while industrial fans gave her a windswept look. Behind her was a one inch thick piece of plexiglass and behind that was me doing a blast.

We started shooting at 2pm and finished at 5pm. During that time I did somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 blasts. I went through a gallon of Coleman's camping fuel and three quarts of lamp oil. I am so exhausted and I look like I was out in the sun for days.

But it was a good day. This is why I like living in NY.

Oh, one last thing to consider. One of my partners in Monday Night Magic made more than twice what I made today in less time doing walkaround at a Bar Mitzvah.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
I went through a gallon of Coleman's camping fuel and three quarts of lamp oil.

Uh...how's your liver?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Now it's all going through Todd, with a chaser of glass. There will indeed be a "light at the end of the tunnel!"
Cheers, Todd
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Actually yeah they could have easily done that with photoshop... although probably it ended up being cheaper(depending whether the photographer was even shooting digital) just to have you blasting all day long.

God I love having my own digital darkroom... I do always cringe when I hear stories like this or things like holding firegimicks until they melted clothes or skin in order to get a shot....
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
By the way...what you wearing? I hope you represented us well with the highest of fashion.

:)

D
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
SHHHHH That fashion model was non other than me!!!!
If you want a job done proper,,,call a Brit.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I bet you had the burps all night. I hate those.

Todd, can I use your liver as a paper weight when you are done with it?

Sillily,
Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 14:29, The Village Idiots wrote:
I bet you had the burps all night. I hate those.

Todd, can I use your liver as a paper weight when you are done with it?

Sillily,
Will

No burps. As for my liver, you can have it. I'm done with it.

And you would be surprised what a little lighting and make up can do. Kondini looked just like an 90 pound girl with a full head of hair.

As for what I was wearing, it was all black so you wouldn't see me at all.

I must say, that the shots looked good, but the way they were done was more interesting than the results.
Eric Starkey
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
180 Posts

Profile of Eric Starkey
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 14:59, Todd Robbins wrote:
I must say, that the shots looked good, but the way they were done was more interesting than the results.

Hmm, sounds like several magic tricks on the market these days... The method is far better than the actual effect.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
So, you think I could sell the idea of doing photos this way to Hocus Pocus or Magic Makers?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well...you could have little squeezable Todd action figures made in China and blows smoke (talcum powder) or for real flame take some of those disposable lighters and have your picture put on them...

Plus, my offer stands to make miniature Todd Robbins 'zibits...not necessarily 'Shrunken Heads' but maybe mummified Throats and Glass Colons that can hang on a key chain...

I know...I'm in posession of deformed brain cells.

Kondini: I have a new design for your Banner!!! Pink Pumps or Red? Chiffon or Spandex?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
How`s about a Gee Gee string!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Couldn't they do that with Photoshop? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL