The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Medieval Themed Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Hello, I don't know if this is the right topic to post this in, but here it goes...

I have been asked to do perform magic at the begining of a medieval feast fundraising event put on by the local theater guild, and if I could, I would like to do some 'medieval themed tricks' if there is any out there.
Any Suggustions?

Thanks, Sam Pearce
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
502 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Sam,

Go to the Sidewalk Shuffle Forum, there's a thread that's discussing this very topic. And think classic effects, ropes, ring on ropes, cups and balls, some coin work, and check out on-line versions of Hocus Pocus Jr., Discoverie of Witchcraft, and Art of Legerdemaine for inspiration.

Good luck,

Joe in KC

"Live a great adventure, make magic happen, have an interesting life!"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Don't turn magic historian on this one. Sure the cups and balls would be authentic, but does it fit the time, place and company of the current show? You're there to entertain, not give a magic lecture on authentic medieval magic. You were right in asking about 'medieval themed tricks.' That's what you want. I have some 'wizard' ideas on my site but I'm not allowed to tell you that.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
Rope magic, silk magic, linking rings. Bill Palmer is a wonderful resourse on this subject, after all he does perform at most Rennisance fairs.
Good Luck!
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here are a few prop that seem to fit the theme and are specially 'prepared' or available from a variety of dealers.

Candles, torches, canes, wands. (produce flames, silks, coins; vanish, transform, etc)
Color changing liquids.
Fire, smoke and flashes.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2872 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, let's look at other sides of this term "medieval" and some possibilities...

The feudal system: swords, knives, spears, rope and chain, shields, taxes, little pouches with money, chests, boxes, barrels, the trade guilds.

The Church: books, scrolls, architectural designs for cathedrals, Quasimodo and Esmerelda, illuminated manuscripts.

The Crusades: the Holy Grail, knights, stuff they brought back from the Middle East (lots of possibilities here), flags and banners, coats of arms.

Literature: the Canterbury Tales among others. The whole King Arthur saga.

Music: period musical instruments. Maybe a floating flute or shawm.

Dress: period fabrics.

And... finally... a horrible joke, with my humblest apologies prior to inflicting it on you... You may want to just scroll past this...

Why were the Middle Ages called the Dark Ages?

Because there were so many knights.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Medieval Themed Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL