The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » About tips... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Quote:
On 2005-04-27 10:14, mtmagic wrote:
I don't hustle tips but I do accept them, an extra $50 to $150 a night is hard to turn down. I think wearing a lapel badge would be tacky and it's something I could'nt do. How many of you have talked to the wait staff about how their tips are when you work? My experience is they love it when I'm there because their tips increase.

Excellent point! The wait staff where I work sees an increase in their tips on the nights that I work. I think it is because they usually introduce me and sometimes interact with some of my routines (cheerleading) if they have time. I have declined a tip at a table only to have the waitress give it to me after the table has left. It helps to be on good terms with everybody, including the kitchen staff.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
OK, going with a combination of ideas on the replies I got on this subject, I found what works for ME last night at my NEW restaurant gig. (Yeah!)

BTW, as with everything in life I think certain things work better for certain personalities, lets not all assume everything is so black or white here.

I do not solicit tips; I was offered a tip 7 times last night. Each time, I took the bill and said, "oh, thank you that's not necessary but I would love to show you something most people don't know about American money"...(I then perform Finger Thru Bill which was on the DVD "Just Passing Thru")..."the reason that works is that this bill reads, In God We Trust, which means it's HOLEY! (Holy)"

I then hold the bill back out to them. Some take it back, some don't. If they argue for me to keep it, I thank them and then give them something in return; my business card and I let them know they are eligible for a discount. Everybody wins.

But, this gave them time to think about if their intentions were true to give the money or if it was just "expected".

If I ever feel like a tip is just for pity, I will refuse it regardless.
If I think they think it is EXPECTED, I will refuse it regardless.

Thanks for all the help!
orbit17
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of orbit17
Some people are tippers - big tippers - and tend to just pull out a note to thank you for presenting them with a few minutes of joy, I feel you have to accept this for sure
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Kinesis, that reminds me of the first time I went to England.

We went to a pub for lunch and sat down and waited for a waitress. Mistake #1 - after waiting for 5 min I got up and ordered. I also grabbed some beers and left a tip and walked back to our table. Mistake #2 - the server came by our table and said you forgot this - giving the tip money back. I said no it's for you, and she said no thank you.

It's quite a different atmosphere from here, where you basicly get the beer yourself and they charge you 4.25 hoping you'll leave the 75 cents as tip.
Cheers,
David
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
LOL. Cool story. Hoped you enjoyed your stay in the UK. Next time you're over here make sure you stay in Scotland for real hospitality.

(N.B. Would members of the Café from other parts of the UK please ignore the above sentence - Thank You Smile )
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
How about when they give you a nice tip, you say, "And here's a tip for you," and give them your thumb tip.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
fr3ky magick
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, ENGLAND
55 Posts

Profile of fr3ky magick
Do you think the waiters/waitresses would be jealous if the magicians at the restuarant got tipped?
Always look on the bright side of life, Set goals and acheive them, never let anyone put you down you are unique in your own way.
Peace to the world.May MAGIC never die.
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Yes, and I think it is important to check if there is a collective tip pool, or each for his own. You never want to get on the staff's bad side.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 12:46, Smoke & Mirrors wrote:
If a restaurant will let you work for tips plus an hourly rate, would you find it "tacky" to wear a badge that reads, "I Accept Tips" ??

Yes. A local balloon folder used to do that quite blatantly, and ended up damaging the restaurant market for many table-hoppers. When the public starts feeling hustled, or at the very least, obligated to tip, they soon begin to shun table entertainment... and then the establishments do.

Quote:
On 2005-05-01 15:49, fr3ky magick wrote:
Do you think the waiters/waitresses would be jealous if the magicians at the restuarant got tipped?

Not if you can head this off at the pass. Before launching into a new restaurant gig, I will make sure the wait staff is made aware of my reason for being there, and that is to help make their jobs run more smoothly.

Make sure the management backs you up on this. Even if the waiters don't know you well enough to trust you, hopefully they trust their boss.

A tablehopper can pacify a waiting group, and thereby cover delays better than anything else, giving the waiter a few precious miniutes to catch up, or finally get that delayed food order out of the kitchen. In many cases, the waiters will notice an increase in their own tips, because of happier customers. Smart waiters will quickly learn how to use you to advantage. You'll only then have to worry about the short-sighted ones!

Somewhere else on The Café, was a thread about top reasons why table magic is good for a restaurant. What I just pointed out will be seen (if not immediately, eventually) as a very important benefit for the restaurant, the staff, and the customers. It will also rank very high on the list of techniques for selling yourself.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
I turn down tips saying it is not neccessary but suggest if they really want to show their appreciation mention how they enjoyed your magic to staff/management on the way out and tell their friends!

This constantly acts as a reminder to the restaurant what a great idea it was to hire you!

Occassionally people are so insistant and won't take no as an answer so it is the better option to accept.

Maybe you can point out in your introductory remarks it is completely free entertainment courtesy of the venue? This nips the problem in the bud for many.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » About tips... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL