The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rats! How to get your mother to let you keep them... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
Ok I'm dying to get me some rats I've done quite a bit of research on them as pets. And even read a few different places that they can be litter trained. Training however, I don't think is my problem. My problem is my mother won’t let me get them. Does any one have any ideas on how to convince her?
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
My mum was the same. She hates rats and mice. You should maybe take her to a pet store and show her how tame and friendly they are.

Don't use my approach, buying everything that is needed for them and saying "What am I supposed to do with all this now?" I found that my mum doesn't mind them now because she has gotten use to them always being there. The reason you shouldn't use this approach is because she might just say "tough luck". It didn't work when I brought home a bird-eating spider. They made me sell it.

Rats are really cool though. You can train them to do heaps of things. I have two females so they are a bit active. One of them knows it name and comes when called and can also fetches little sticks. None of them have every gone to the toilet on me or outside their tank. They only go inside their tank. A thing I'm thinking I might try is putting the kitty litter that I use inside their tank in a small tray and have it in my room, so presumably they would go there because they recognize their litter. I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck.
James
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This sounds like a time to work through grand parents!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
You could offer a contract with your parents. I will take care of this one rat for 90 days without fail. If you screw up, have a place for the rat and living quarters to go; then... keep your word.

Parents are paranoid about taking care of pets their kid wanted. Be willing to prove that you are mature enough to keep a promise (and take care of your new family member).

Depending on your local weather, keeping your rodent friend out of the house may also help. Rats don't usually melt a Mom's heart by their looks alone. Train "Ben" to do something cool.

Good luck.
David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
Buy a snake that will give a perfect excuse for having rats...
just kidding , maybe just do some major butt kissing and they will give in
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Cameron,

I can't offer any suggestions as to how to convince your mom but wanted to share a bit of info that should you get them, will make your job easier. I've never had rats but have had several rodents ..gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs.

These creatures will always try to do their toileting as far away from their food and sleeping quarters. Once you see the spot they've chosen, take a bit of the litter they've used and place it in a wide mouth jar. From then on the animal will go in the jar to do their business and cleanup is much easier. You simply pick up the jar and wash it out, instead of having to wash the entire cage.

You should perhaps get some books out of the library and do research on them. It would sound more convincing to your mom and can answer any questions she may have.

Good Luck!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Get doves, the rats will come if you don't clean the aviary out as much as you should.

I had mice last week. *Slaps wrist* Gave it a good old clean and a mouse trap : )

Get a rabbit, much nicer. lol.

all the best
Matt
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
Great idea on the rabbit matt , now he can get an even bigger snake
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Matt has the idea, but maybe a different approach...

Tell mom that you need four doves, no six with backups.
and you need a 8'x8'x16' walk in aviary with full flight access for birdie exercise. and you absolutely need several dove magic DVDs and books.
And props, don't forget the gloves to dove tray, double dove harness, and dove to bunny box. and you will need a bunny.

When she stops laughing and gets up off the floor you sheepishly look at her with your best puppy dog eyes and ask, well how about a little white mouse. in a small cage. then go buy the rat since it was cheaper than the mouse.

Of course I would never encourage a child to lie to their mommy, so you did not hear this from me. and it's not really a lie since you do want the doves anyway.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I used to work in the veterinary field and have met some very nice rats. I've heard they make great pets. If I didn't have cats, I'd get a rat. Good luck.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 04:11, Cameron wrote:
Ok I'm dying to get me some rats I've done quite a bit of research on them as pets. And even read a few different places that they can be litter trained. Training however, I don't think is my problem. My problem is my mother won’t let me get them. Does any one have any ideas on how to convince her?

Tell Mom their large Hamsters.

Bob
Actually, Cameron, when I got my first rabbit (without asking my wife first, I named the rabbit after my wife’s deceased father. I also got it when my wife was away on a trip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rats! How to get your mother to let you keep them... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL