The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Meta Tags That Do and/or Don't Work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tags that get you listed on search engines can be good and/or bad news!

A post in another thread reminded me of an embarrassing mistake I made on the Internet well over a year ago.

I maintain three websites out there. One is given at the bottom of this page for generic lurkers, friends and search engines plus two others that are only for professional agents and talent buyers who are furnished pass words.

I learn long ago agents require special handling and that “easy-to-find & easy-to-enter” websites attract mostly other magicians and people looking for a birthday party magician. I can't afford to confuse the two. It's a matter of economics. (And I don't do birthday parties as a rule.)

So the freewebs.com site is for people who are not really professionals in the talent contracting business. It works! And it helps set priorities in answering mail and phone calls. I can always take a contact from the public one and give them access to the professional ones. I can also kill that access if they turn out to be anything except professionals who need the access.

That has brought me unsolicited criticism from impostors ranting on the Internet too. They assume there is only one site and apparently do not know that entertainment professionals dealt with this problem in telephone directories long before there were Internet searches. But the professionals know the difference! What can you do for the others? Some people working from false assumptions, prefer that.

In an effort once, to assure the public that I don't do blue material, I put that fact into my tags as "No Blue Material". Google and Yahoo both promptly picked it up Only the words "blue material"! It took many months to get that off the search engines.

Sometimes being honest carries its own brand of misery.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I started using Sander in 1969 so you could not find me in a phone book either. I prefer using agents. Good ones know where to find me. It's a matter of controlled access. It's yours to control.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the information, Bob.
vanp8
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vanp8
Bob, thank you for useful info that I can refer to. This site is what I wish I had access to 35 years ago. But still useful to an old guy like me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Meta Tags That Do and/or Don't Work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL